SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

cowboys5xsbs

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Reffing was atrocious and inconsistent. Both coaches had multiple reasons to be unhappy with the officiating.

Driscoll had his best game of the year.

To quote the officiating guru on this board, "what game were you reffing last night"?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

To quote the officiating guru on this board, "what game were you reffing last night"?

I like that. The officiating "guru". It's not my fault you guys make yourselves look ignorant based on the comments you make. 

Officiating numbers in USA hockey are down nearly 40% this year. I didn't dispute a single post anybody made. I'm simply stating that there are a few of you on this board who seem to think you know the rules better than the refs. Maybe you do? Grab a whistle, complete your certification, and prove it. Or, continue being ignorant and making our fan base look like a bunch of whiners.

Continue being butt hurt I called you out all you want. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

After UND got the lead and a late Duluth power play I saw two overt penalties on Duluth not get called but then UND should’ve been called for boarding shortly after. And then there was a third no call on Duluth after that. 

I still say the second referee should be in the press box. They’d be wireless to the on ice to call live penalties, and replays would go faster. Plus we could keep experienced officials around longer if they didn’t have to skate at game pace but could instead be upstairs. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

I like that. The officiating "guru". It's not my fault you guys make yourselves look ignorant based on the comments you make. 

Officiating numbers in USA hockey are down nearly 40% this year. I didn't dispute a single post anybody made. I'm simply stating that there are a few of you on this board who seem to think you know the rules better than the refs. Maybe you do? Grab a whistle, complete your certification, and prove it. Or, continue being ignorant and making our fan base look like a bunch of whiners.

Continue being butt hurt I called you out all you want. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

A three paragraph rant and we're the butt hurt whiners??  Yes, officiating is down because of idiot youth coaches and parents.  Not idiot fans on message boards like myself.  

Great call by your buddy Walsh on the dive though.  Textbook.  He has hurt UND for years but you wouldn't know because you are scared about hurt feelings and how our fans look?  Pretty pathetic in my book.  Even checked up on my profile....goodness I struck a nerve. 

Got my certification, and volunteered hundreds of officiating hours to my last youth club. I hope parents/coaches leave the youth/ALL officials alone.  In all sports.   

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A three paragraph rant and we're the butt hurt whiners??  Yes, officiating is down because of idiot youth coaches and parents.  Not idiot fans on message boards like myself.  

Great call by your buddy Walsh on the dive though.  Textbook.  He has hurt UND for years but you wouldn't know because you are scared about hurt feelings and how our fans look?  Pretty pathetic in my book.  

Got my certification, and volunteered hundreds of officiating hours to my last youth club. I hope parents/coaches leave the youth/ALL officials alone.  In all sports.   

It's all related. Should Walsh have called the dive? Yes. Did he make a mistake not calling it? Yes. Did he also make up for it by giving Biondi a double minor 40 seconds later? Maybe. Did he and the other officials make multiple mistakes throughout the weekend? Yes. 

There is an unbelievably toxic view of referees whether it be the youth, junior, college, and pro ranks in hockey. This comes from idiot parents, idiot coaches, and yes idiot fans. Sat next to a family on Friday who were upset with a call on the ice. The dad started yelling and not more than 5 seconds later, his son (maybe 6 or 7 years old) started yelling about the referee sucking as well. 

Do hockey officials make mistakes? Yes, all the time. It's easily the hardest sport to officiate as nearly every single rule is left up to the discretion of the referee. USA Hockey's new rulebook this year makes it even more difficult. Is there a problem with calling out a mistake made by an official? No. 

I commend you for getting your certification and volunteering your time. I would just think you would have a bit more respect/sympathy for others doing the same thing.

Looking forward to this weekend. Always a fun time when the goofs come to town. Be prepared for controversial calls and even missed or bad calls. Also try to remember that referees are human. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, Oxbow6 said:

The virtue signaling is pathetic from that coaching staff. Keep that nonsense in Duluth.

I gotta think it's because they are part of the MN colleges system that's requiring them. My guess is Sandy isn't a fan of it based on this weekend lol.

13 hours ago, Melvin said:

There's something wrong with this person.

chrome-capture (1).jpg

Whatever.  I have my pronouns listed on my email signature at my part-time job.

Then there was an incident at a Final Five where someone hung a smallpox blanket at the Final Five a 5-10 years back. I remember being at the series that's described in the example below. 

9. Minnesota Duluth Fans Reprimanded For ‘Smallpox Blankets’ Chant

While the University of North Dakota is no longer (technically) home to the Fighting Sioux, that wasn’t the case when the men’s hockey team visited the University of Minnesota Duluth in February. That’s where the UMD student section allegedly made a serious of “racist chants” towards the UND mascot, including one that referenced “smallpox blankets.”

The "blankets" reference harkens back to a plan by Lord Jeffrey Amherst — commander of British forces in North America during the French and Indian War — to send blankets laced with smallpox to infect and kill tribes.

AD Bob Nielsen sent a strong warning to students in the form of a letter, threatening loss of season tickets to students who misbehave.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:18 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Never read the Twitter timeline of someone with pronouns in their bio. 

Any HR Manager or Business owner that is in charge of hiring should be checking for those when they look at a potential hires social media. If you are smart this should be a disqualifier as it will likely avoid issues down the road.....obviously you would never advertise this policy.

• Downvote 2