SiouxSports.com Forum

Here come the Dawgs. UMD @ The Ralph.

Wilbur

True test #2 visits REA this weekend.  Reigning NCHC goalie of the week Ryan Fanti and the always good defensively bulldogs are in town after taking five of six points against @Godsmack's second favorite team.

I was a bit on the fence about how good Denver was after their showing here, but they swept a pretty good Western team (albeit at Magness where the rules are different).  I think this Duluth team is better than Denver, time will tell.

The story will be the Jammer line vs. Whatever line has Noah Cates on it.  They've experimented with breaking up the Kobe (plural) line, but you could see them together again. 

Heart says 4 points, head says split.  Wife says, "shovel the driveway and stop posting."  

• Upvote 2

The team has been playing much better since Nashville.  Need to shore up some of the PK woes and I'm sure there's a couple that Driscoll would want back from this weekend, but you can't argue with the results.

Gaber and Sanderson are playing very well, as is Calder.
Sanderson really took the game over a few times this weekend and you just knew a goal was coming.  Pretty fun to watch, we'll be able to watch him do that in the NHL next season.

The Bulldogs will be good...I agree with Wilbur that they're a better team than Denver.
This will be the toughest test for this team so far this season, so hopefully Berry has them prepped and ready to roll!

Keys to the weekend, IMHO:

1.  Play as much 5x5 as possible.  Especially don't give PP's in the second period, with the long change.  Sticks stay on the ice, please.

2.  Be aggressive in pressuring the UMD breakout, and force bad passes especially in the neutral zone.  Get transition opportunities.

3.  Get some good minutes early for the 3rd D pair and 4th line, because a high intensity game can create fatigue at the end. 

4.  Use last change to create mismatches.

I expect Duluth to:

* Goad us into penalties, driven by emotion.   We've crossed over that edge a couple times this season, and our top guys especially can't get baited into taking majors.

* Try to get scoring lines out against UND's weakest plus-minus guys (yeah the stat can be misleading but patterns can be observed already).

*  Traffic in front of Driscoll. 

Prediction:  The stretches of solid team play will get longer and come more often; the disconnected play continues to shrink.  UND 4-3.  UMD 3-2 ot.

• Upvote 1

I think we are deeper than Duluth.  If Jammer line can play as well against Duluth's top line as they did against Denver's it will force Sandy to split them up like Denver tried to.  I see Jammer line making life miserable for Cates and our depth will prove too much.  Our D is also going to be a handful for Duluth especially if Sanderson does his Curly Neal act on them.

3 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

This is one of the deepest teams we have had in a long time and possibly the best D corps or one of the best D corps we've ever had.  This team is loaded with talent.

Kinda hard to agree at this point. The top line doesn't hold a candle to the CBS line. The Heavy Line of '15-'16 was far better than this year's version. Defense this season has the potential to be one of the top groups but after 15, 25 and 26 the talent drops off. Plenty of talent though. The next three weekends will be key. 3 and 3 would be acceptable. 4 and 2 would be better. 5 and 1 or 6 and 0 would mean @wilbur should buy me a beer.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

This is one of the deepest teams we have had in a long time and possibly the best D corps or one of the best D corps we've ever had.  This team is loaded with talent.

I would say last year was the deepest team we have had in a long time.  Remember, Griffin Ness didn't crack the lineup a lot last year, and Jake Sanderson didn't need to come in and be a huge contributor offensively for us to be successful.  We have a stretch right now that will tell a lot about where we fit into the picture nationally. 

14 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Duluth is my most disliked opponent. 

I expect we sweep every weekend 

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The goofs are my most disliked, probably never will get over that.

13 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

I'm with you, but Duluth is a close second.

I simplify:

I just don't like college hockey teams that wear maroon and gold. (UMn, UMD, DU, BC, and if ASU gets caught up in that, meh ... )

15 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Kinda hard to agree at this point. The top line doesn't hold a candle to the CBS line. The Heavy Line of '15-'16 was far better than this year's version. Defense this season has the potential to be one of the top groups but after 15, 25 and 26 the talent drops off. Plenty of talent though. The next three weekends will be key. 3 and 3 would be acceptable. 4 and 2 would be better. 5 and 1 or 6 and 0 would mean @wilbur should buy me a beer.

Not sure this year's heavy line will be taking a back seat to any recent versions, all of which are lightweights compared to Canady, Massen and Fabian, who changed the momentum back in UND's favor repeatedly in every game down the stretch.