SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Network

northernraider

I missed the second half of ISU game having to take a trip to Fargo from the Bemidji area. I learned their was no way to pickup the UND game on the radio until getting KFGO signal just east of Detroit Lakes. Meanwhile, I was able to get the NDSU game on three separate channels at one point. 

Seems a significant gap in coverage.

Also the ads of NDSU radio broadcast are painful. Everything was agriculture products..know your audience I suppose. 

40 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Seems a significant gap in coverage

While I don’t know the history of which regional radio stations have broadcast UND and/or NDSU football over the years, radio stations need to broadcast a program that listeners want, and with the mighty bison dominance I’m sure they’re broadcasts are lucrative.  Hopefully that changes to more of a 50/50 split with UND starting to close the gap.  It also probably wouldn’t hurt if local recruits spur their hometown stations to make the switch from NDSU to UND (or even start a new broadcast partnership).

I kinda blame learfield.  Have they helped us grow our brand really at all?  Learfield lists 4 staff for bison sports properties and UND only has one guy..  With pretty much all of our add revenue being local ads and few product licensing agreements besides a coffee bean company, I really hope we drop them.  Nobody is pushing our brand... can't even hardly buy a UND football shirt at a home football game...  I have zero faith that they will expend the effort to dial up some small town radio stations.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I kinda blame learfield.  Have they helped us grow our brand really at all?  Learfield lists 4 staff for bison sports properties and UND only has one guy..  With pretty much all of our add revenue being local ads and few product licensing agreements besides a coffee bean company, I really hope we drop them.  Nobody is pushing our brand... can't even hardly buy a UND football shirt at a home football game...  I have zero faith that they will expend the effort to dial up some small town radio stations.

Definite possibility, but would be interesting to know though how much the Engelstad Arena marketing partnership/situation might be hampering their efforts.  UND sports marketing is pretty underwhelming across the board.

5 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Tough when weekends are often spent in and out of farm equipment and of course data limitations.

You don't have a smart phone and earbuds? Or doesn't your equipment have radios? I know in past years, I've heard about farmers listening to the football games in their combines and tractors. I know from hunting you can get the games on the radio. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, northernraider said:

I missed the second half of ISU game having to take a trip to Fargo from the Bemidji area. I learned their was no way to pickup the UND game on the radio until getting KFGO signal just east of Detroit Lakes. Meanwhile, I was able to get the NDSU game on three separate channels at one point. 

Also the ads of NDSU radio broadcast are painful. Everything was agriculture products..know your audience I suppose. 

Station out of Fosston.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, northernraider said:

You should have had 96.1 the whole way from bemidji. My parents lake is about half way between Fargo and Bemidji came in on both clear as day.