SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Starman was on the Westwood One broadcast (carried on ESPNU Radio on Sirius) for the games with some name/voice I'd never heard before. Starman's "favorite" (spelled: wife) sideline reporter was with them.  

If anyone will be looking for the championship broadcast on an old-time radio that still requires radio waves, the Westwood One broadcast with Starman was on AM 740 yesterday. I didn't listen long enough to hear if they are carrying the championship game, though.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Idk if this was covered in past pages but has anyone hear if Melrose is sick? He looks and sounds really rough, almost like he has Parkinson's.

I saw it last year when they showed his hands. You could see one of the shake bad, ESPN was doing a terrible job at not showing it. This year they made sure not to show his hands. 

27 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I saw it last year when they showed his hands. You could see one of the shake bad, ESPN was doing a terrible job at not showing it. This year they made sure not to show his hands. 

I noticed it last year too but it looks like he is declining at a very high rate. As much as people give him grief for calling the games, you never want to see something like that happen to a person. ESPN should do the right thing and relieve him after this year. No one should be paraded on national TV when they are clearly not well.

I noticed it last year too but it looks like he is declining at a very high rate. As much as people give him grief for calling the games, you never want to see something like that happen to a person. ESPN should do the right thing and relieve him after this year. No one should be paraded on national TV when they are clearly not well.

This

Can they take Bucci with him. His love for east coast and big schools is gross.

5 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Idk if this was covered in past pages but has anyone hear if Melrose is sick? He looks and sounds really rough, almost like he has Parkinson's.

I was watching him comment on ESPN not too long ago and it looked like his hand was shaking, so it is certainly possible.  

2 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Just went lurking over at GPL, WOW! They are hurt and disgusted with their teams effort. 

I lurked a bit last night. I read some-not a lot, but some-comments from Gopher fans complaining about the average age of the Mankato players.

To my knowledge, MSU hasn’t violated any recruiting rules or NCAA rules and the Gophers are free to recruit and retain the same types of players as the Mavericks do so I ask myself, why do they have a beef with who’s on the MSU roster? 

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I lurked a bit last night. I read some-not a lot, but some-comments from Gopher fans complaining about the average age of the Mankato players.

To my knowledge, MSU hasn’t violated any recruiting rules or NCAA rules and the Gophers are free to recruit and retain the same types of players as the Mavericks do so I ask myself, why do they have a beef with who’s on the MSU roster? 

That phenomenon goes back a long ways.  I think it starts with John Mariucci, who wanted to play a team of only Minnesota guys.  That fed the local ego (and still does).   So, anytime they lose, rather than admit the other guys were better, they have a tantrum.   That also started with Mariucci, who refused to play Denver for over a decade.  I recall being startled at being called a Communist on my first visit to Williams Arena in 1979, after UND won the WCHA title, and so I asked "why"?  "Because of all the Canadians you have."  And its still there ... people saying "U-Minnesota has more guys in the NHL than any other school"/"well no they don't and its not even close".

17 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

That phenomenon goes back a long ways.  I think it starts with John Mariucci, who wanted to play a team of only Minnesota guys.  That fed the local ego (and still does).   So, anytime they lose, rather than admit the other guys were better, they have a tantrum.   That also started with Mariucci, who refused to play Denver for over a decade.  I recall being startled at being called a Communist on my first visit to Williams Arena in 1979, after UND won the WCHA title, and so I asked "why"?  "Because of all the Canadians you have."  And its still there ... people saying "U-Minnesota has more guys in the NHL than any other school"/"well no they don't and its not even close".

I used to tell my Gopher buddies, "Congratulations, you have the best team in the country with all your players from 1 state....is there a trophy for that? Maybe hang a banner."

• Upvote 3

Just now, petey23 said:

I used to tell my Gopher buddies, "Congratulations, you have the best team in the country with all your players from 1 state....is there a trophy for that? Maybe hang a banner."

I would also mention that two of the oldest players to ever play in the WCHA were Steve Debus who was a 25 year old junior and Dan Woog

9 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Yeah, I noticed they didn't follow that rule for all the other sports.   I wonder why that is?