SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 NCAA championship game

Dustin

Couple of thoughts on the championship game:

Who are people pulling for in this one?   Once UND is out of it, I cheer for the team whose school has never won one, or currently in the longest drought. In today’s case, we have guaranteed first time champion, which is good for the game, IMO. 

I’m glad the neither of the teams playing tonight advanced in the tournament due to a “no contest.”  The champion will have to play and win all 4 games. 

I feel ESPN has stepped up their game with covering the Frozen Four. The championship game is on ESPN (with both semifinals on ESPN2), which isn’t always the case.  Also of note, they’re doing an hour pregame, which to my knowledge has not been done before.  During one of the semifinal games, Buccigross said doubleheader semifinal Thursday is one of his favorite days of the year, so he seems to be doing a good job hyping it. 

Enjoy the game, college hockey fans!

I was leaning towards SCSU but reading a few posts that reminded me of their over-the-top stance on the Sioux name and their butt hurtedness when they weren't initially invited to join the NCHC has me reconsidering. I like the idea of keeping the trophy in the conference though. And I'm not a fan of an east coast school winning. Can they go about 8 OTs and call it a tie?

• Upvote 1

I'm honestly fine with either team winning it.
Cool to be guaranteed a first time winner taking home the trophy.

SCSU keeps the trophy in NCHC, but have to deal with their fans.
UMass we never have to deal with, but it takes the trophy to the East Coast.

So, both a plus and minus with either winner, so call it a wash.    ;)  :)  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'm honestly fine with either team winning it.
Cool to be guaranteed a first time winner taking home the trophy.

I can go with this although if I had to make a choice I’ll go with the puppies 

I am going to be watching the World of Outlaws tonight, I'll be switching between the Late Models at Bristol and the Sprint Cars at Tri-State Speedway.

I'll probably have the game on my iPad, but I just really don't care all that much tonight's game. I am cool with UMass winning it to prevent SCSU from brining home the title. 

36 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I agree with you, their fans are really insufferable. This past Frozen Faceoff reminded me of past Final Fives. 

Once UND is out I cheer for nobody and really couldn't care less who wins. Whether it is Air Force, Minnesota, Boston College, or St. Cloud. It is either UND or nobody for me. I watched some of the semis Thursday but I'm not completely locked in like if it is a Sioux game, will be the same way tonight too.

• Upvote 1

I like what coach Carvel has done to turn UMass around. They’ve been second (or third or fourth) fiddle to the Boston blue bloods for years so fun to see them in the spotlight. Plus, the little I’ve seen of them this season, they play fast, hard, and aggressive. Was really impressed how they battled back in that third period to tie it and then dominate the OT against Duluth. I’m pulling for UMass. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, nodakvindy said:

St. Cloud for me. Iron shapens Iron, and a title gives the program an extra legitimacy much like Duluth got 10 years ago. Just makes the crucible that is the NCHC that much better. 

And it pisses off Gopher fans that another Minnesota school gets a title 

• Upvote 2