SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #4-Back to Baxter

Wilbur

11 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Omaha is above average, a top ten team, or maybe more, read why here, and focus on the inefficiency they capitalized on to get the first goal as an example, 

11 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Omaha is above average, a top ten team, or maybe more, read why here, and focus on the inefficiency they capitalized on to get the first goal as an example, 

https://seamoresports.com/2021/02/01/as-they-did-last-year-omaha-reminded-the-country-of-their-potential-in-defeating-und/

This a siouxsports forum. Im curious why you keep writing about other teams and posting them here like people are gonna care. No offense. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

This a siouxsports forum. Im curious why you keep writing about other teams and posting them here like people are gonna care. No offense. 

I see plenty of value in reading other people's perspectives about a team. It's ok to disagree with each other.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Blows my mind. We've barely been in their orbit for what, 7 years now? Sure, Blais was there, but good lord, not even close. We play similar styles and they could eventually become a very strong rival, but right now, they are so low on our list.

There's no doubt they are benefitting from riding our coattails, and that gives them a reason to skate harder and finish checks against UND. Their ascent is good for the college game, too, showing how prime their locale is for recruiting in the USHL to the other big state schools in the area. When they sweep us in the Ralph or win a natty I'll pay them more attention. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

There's no doubt they are benefitting from riding our coattails, and that gives them a reason to skate harder and finish checks against UND. Their ascent is good for the college game, too, showing how prime their locale is for recruiting in the USHL to the other big state schools in the area. When they sweep us in the Ralph or win a natty I'll pay them more attention. 

Absolutely good for the game. They aren't in our league yet. Not speaking about this season as they are at least comparable this season, but more in terms of pedigree, tradition, recruiting, rivalries, and consistency. I could see it happening, but not close yet.

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Absolutely good for the game. They aren't in our league yet. Not speaking about this season as they are at least comparable this season, but more in terms of pedigree, tradition, recruiting, rivalries, and consistency. I could see it happening, but not close yet.

Yup.  A stronger Omaha, Miami, and WMU and a resurgent CC would be good for the conference and for college hockey in general.  If it's good for college hockey, it's good for UND hockey and its fans.  UND's goal is always to win the NCAA, and the stronger the competition we have in-conference, the better prepared we are to do that.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, burd said:

Yup.  A stronger Omaha, Miami, and WMU and a resurgent CC would be good for the conference and for college hockey in general.  If it's good for college hockey, it's good for UND hockey and its fans.  UND's goal is always to win the NCAA, and the stronger the competition we have in-conference, the better prepared we are to do that.

And the better, more exciting, games week in, week out, we get to watch.

I'm all for Omaha getting better each year.  A big step for them would be qualifying for the NCHC tournament in St. Paul.  I believe (without checking google), they are the only school who has yet to make an appearance at the frozen faceoff.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree that UNO is above average, but them being opportunistic, essentially needing 5 power plays to win, does not put them on our level. We absolutely controlled play, top to bottom, both games, when it was 5 on 5. I would be absolutely shocked if they won the NCHC. Frankly, I see no chance. 

Add to that, UNO will probably end up playing DU in the NCHC playoffs which they don't match up well against. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Add to that, UNO will probably end up playing DU in the NCHC playoffs which they don't match up well against. 

IMHO that is a disaster of a matchup for UNO if UNO gets home ice.  UNO can hang with a team like UND because we are all sorts of dumb with the penalties this year.  We are in the top five in average penalty minutes per game in the NCAA, and I believe we lead the NCAA in total penalty minutes with 252.  Denver doesn't take a lot of penalties and when the teams got together at Baxter a few weeks ago from what I watched 5x5 Denver was better and Saville bailed Omaha out on Saturday night.  

UNO going on the road to Denver this week will tell us where they are at.  They've only played two games this year in an arena not named Baxter, and they crept by a CC team in the Springs that @Godsmack will tell you should have won Saturday night.  Denver Sweeps UNO and they are only three points back.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

IMHO that is a disaster of a matchup for UNO if UNO gets home ice.  UNO can hang with a team like UND because we are all sorts of dumb with the penalties this year.  We are in the top five in average penalty minutes per game in the NCAA, and I believe we lead the NCAA in total penalty minutes with 252.  Denver doesn't take a lot of penalties and when the teams got together at Baxter a few weeks ago from what I watched 5x5 Denver was better and Saville bailed Omaha out on Saturday night.  

UNO going on the road to Denver this week will tell us where they are at.  They've only played two games this year in an arena not named Baxter, and they crept by a CC team in the Springs that @Godsmack will tell you should have won Saturday night.  Denver Sweeps UNO and they are only three points back.  

So as UND fans, what outcome would be most beneficial to us? A DU sweep, a UNO sweep, or a split? 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I thought both games CC could and should have won.

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So as UND fans, what outcome would be most beneficial to us? A DU sweep, a UNO sweep, or a split? 

Looking at the tournament conference-wise a split would be good. For UND I'd take a split. 

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Tied for Fourth.  Omaha isn't much better they're ranked 14th. 

1 Maine                       10     164      16.4
  2 Northeastern                12     175      14.6
  3 Bentley                      9     127      14.1
  4 Long Island Univ.            8     112      14.0
    North Dakota                18     252      14.0
  6 Air Force                   11     149      13.5
  7 Lake Superior               12     161      13.4
  8 Army West Point             12     151      12.6
  9 Quinnipiac                  18     226      12.6
 10 Northern Michigan           14     175      12.5
 11 Boston University            6      74      12.3
 12 Niagara                     13     160      12.3
 13 Robert Morris               17     207      12.2
 14 Omaha                       16     192      12.0

14 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Well.....a UNO sweep would just about dagger Denver, but I'd put a friendly wager with anybody that UNO doesn't go into Denver and sweep.  Just doesn't happen at Magness arena.

A Denver sweep gives them all sorts of life heading into Valentines weekend at REA.......

I'll say a split would be ideal for UND.  

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Well.....a UNO sweep would just about dagger Denver, but I'd put a friendly wager with anybody that UNO doesn't go into Denver and sweep.  Just doesn't happen at Magness arena.

A Denver sweep gives them all sorts of life heading into Valentines weekend at REA.......

I'll say a split would be ideal for UND.  

Series definitely has split written all over it.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:04 PM, MDtoGF said:

Well this aged well, I actually mean that it did, on all predictions. https://seamoresports.com/2021/01/29/omaha-und-three-predictions-for-the-weekend/ 

Let us know your thoughts! 

One and two, sure, minus the "or better" part of No. 1. Three... that's, well, shall we say -- debatable. Saville gave up 9 goals on 79 shots (UND had an ENG on Friday) for a 88% save percentage and had a combined 4.5 goals against average in the two games. 

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One and two, sure, minus the "or better" part of No. 1. Three... that's, well, shall we say -- debatable. Saville gave up 9 goals on 79 shots (UND had an ENG on Friday) for a 88% save percentage and had a combined 4.5 goals against average in the two games. 

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin...

Yeah Saville is a good college goaltender, let's not go off the rails here after he let in 9 goals on the weekend. Getting out over our skis a bit calling him NHL-ready.

• Upvote 1