SiouxSports.com Forum

Post pod series #4-Back to Baxter

Wilbur

33 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

omaha is very average...we allowed them to take us off our game.  I see it in youth hockey when particular teams give great teams fits and force them to degenerate off their game.  We didn't play the way we can.  Omaha capitalized on its opportunities. I'll give them that.  Not impressed by them at all though.  

They beat:

Duluth

St Cloud 

Denver

Western

i think overlooking them is a mistake.

5 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

They beat:

Duluth

St Cloud 

Denver

Western

i think overlooking them is a mistake.

You don’t overlook any team. Not sure how that correlates to thinking they are average. You think they are above average? 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

You don’t overlook any team. Not sure how that correlates to thinking they are average. You think they are above average? 

Yep any team can beat any team on any given night. I like our chances, especially if we can stop the parade to the box. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Actually, I do. They’re on the rise after several substandard seasons. I believe they are being built from the ground up against very tough competition in the best league in the country. The organization is just 20 or so years old. Are they UND? UMD? DU? No. But they are definitely closing on SCSU and WMU. 

6 minutes ago, jk said:

So in an 8 team league, they are better than 7 and 8 and trying to be as good as 4 and 5.  Average sounds like a good description. 

It’s not an average league. Hell, CC and Miami could win best of threes with most of the rest of the NCAA. And, I said they are on the rise.

I'll be happy when we're done seeing UND legacy kids on Omaha.  I mean I understand one every so often.  Yet it's Archibald, Zambo, Ward, Morelli, Balfour.  I'm sure I'm missing one somewhere in there too.

If these kids sucked it wouldn't bother me too much, but all are pretty good players. :lol:

42 minutes ago, cberkas said:

He's talking about St. Cloud and Duluth. They have a home and home left.

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/9cc7-2299843/2020-21_NCHC_Conference_Schedule_-_Pod_and_Travel_FINAL_no_times.pdf#_ga=2.262356428.1593003323.1612064877-685657498.1612064877

This initial schedule had them playing 6 times.  Don’t know if it was a misprint or if it was changed because of Covid issues, but you would think the two perceived best teams in each post Pod division would play each other 6 times.  Playing teams like Omaha and Denver 6 times each is a bit more daunting than Miami and Western.

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/9cc7-2299843/2020-21_NCHC_Conference_Schedule_-_Pod_and_Travel_FINAL_no_times.pdf#_ga=2.262356428.1593003323.1612064877-685657498.1612064877

This initial schedule had them playing 6 times.  Don’t know if it was a misprint or if it was changed because of Covid issues, but you would think the two perceived best teams in each post Pod division would play each other 6 times.  Playing teams like Omaha and Denver 6 times each is a bit more daunting than Miami and Western.

They have already played 4 games just have 2 left.

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Need to work on clearing up rebounds, goalie playing the puck, puck support, winning the puck battles, and stop taking stupid penalties. 

Scheel isn't gonna stop playing the puck.  I don't see his playing the puck as a negative.  He is one of the only goalies in the league who can play the puck.  Scheel is our back bone.  I don't remember who Scheel was trying to spring up the middle with that pass tonight but a split second difference and he sends him in in the clear.  I just cannot look at his puck playing as a negative.  Most coaches in this league will tell you sweeps at home and splits on the road is what you hope for to have a shot at Penrose.  We are a very above average team and sometimes you're gonna lose games that's just the way it is.

Edited by siouxnatty#8
added comment

28 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Scheel isn't gonna stop playing the puck.  I don't see his playing the puck as a negative.  He is one of the only goalies in the league who can play the puck. 

Tonight wasn't the first time he's misplayed it...unfortunately this time it ended up in the back of the net right after UND had come back to tie it up.
I still think Scheel is the man in net...he just needs to make some better choices behind the net sometimes.

Regardless, some odd goals for UNO tonight, and this UND team isn't going to give up three PPG's too often.  Nor are they going to lose many games while outshooting a team 47-27.

Next four games at home...I'm hoping that they can go 3-1 in those four games and that'll be a good boost to their Penrose chances.

• Upvote 3

We're kind of going in circles here, so I'm going to leave it alone after this one. I find it surprising that anyone has a problem with calling an average team average. Sweeping anyone in the NCHC on the road is not easy. Average does not equal awful. Average is Average. 

The way I always look at it.

• Top 3 teams: Split (both at home / road)
  • Teams 4-6: Sweep Home / Split Road
  • Bottom 2: Sweep Both Home / Road

Of course this won't be perfect, but you do that on a regular year and you'll have a good shot at Winning the regular season championship.

• Upvote 1

I've seen Jekyll and Hyde with Omaha.  Based on where Denver sits I'd say Omaha has a great chance to be at home in the postseason hosting Denver in the first round, unless they go on a terrible run losing 3 of 4 to UND and getting swept at Denver.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've seen Jekyll and Hyde with Omaha.  Based on where Denver sits I'd say Omaha has a great chance to be at home in the postseason hosting Denver in the first round, unless they go on a terrible run losing 3 of 4 to UND and getting swept at Denver.  

I agree with that, but this year more Jekyll (assuming the positive) than Hyde. The pod was a great venue to see teams consistently and I thought they look much ‘different’ this year. The ‘fold’ seems gone and they are winning games they wouldn’t in the past. Used to be get one against them in the first 2 and put in you backup goaltender for reps. I didn’t mean to imply that they are a national power, but they are going in the right direction. Whether that continues will be seen over the next 2-3 years. We would benefit from that, able to watch 7 or 8 potential national championship games a year! I see the split the balance of the year based on their late month off and the confidence builders against DU and us...

2 hours ago, AJS said:

We're kind of going in circles here, so I'm going to leave it alone after this one. I find it surprising that anyone has a problem with calling an average team average. Sweeping anyone in the NCHC on the road is not easy. Average does not equal awful. Average is Average. 

The way I always look at it.

• Top 3 teams: Split (both at home / road)
  • Teams 4-6: Sweep Home / Split Road
  • Bottom 2: Sweep Both Home / Road

Of course this won't be perfect, but you do that on a regular year and you'll have a good shot at Winning the regular season championship.

Good post.