SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 8-A Wednesday night date with Jan.

Wilbur

Yes, we are missing Sanderson and Kleven. 

Yes, we are playing the five healthy D we have. 

But ... five healthy. 

We are missing Ethan Frisch (upper body) also and I believe that hurts more than Sanderson or Kleven being gone. The way Frisch played the first week of the pod he might have been our best defender (yes, even over 3 and 24). My basis for my bold statement

11 minutes ago, 1972 said:

watching the replay of the OT goal.....pintos play on the defenders is terrific.   crosses over when gooch comes to the near side, and takes out both defenders, clearing the shot for jordan....essentially a legal pick...beautiful!

Surprised it wasn't called off for a pick.  Standard had been set that UND wasn't allowed to let JBSU players run into each other.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, 1972 said:

watching the replay of the OT goal.....pintos play on the defenders is terrific.   crosses over when gooch comes to the near side, and takes out both defenders, clearing the shot for jordan....essentially a legal pick...beautiful!

He got his guy to pick Jordan's guy. It was a beautiful subtle play!

• Upvote 1

Biggest concern I have coming out of this game other than turning the puck over is line 4.  With the TV timeouts this shouldn't be a big deal, but at the time UND just can't regularly put their fourth line on the ice in a close game.  I think Keane has had a great start, but you can see the deer in the headlights look with Ness and Albrecht.  When Judd and Blaisdell get back this won't be an issue, but Saturday with Duluth will be a tight three line game, and then you've got Miami Sunday night which will need to be all hands on deck after Duluth the day before.  I don't see the lines changing at all for Duluth, but they may have to against Miami.     

one other thought from last night....the team seemed excited to play, and excited to score...noticed in, i believe the western michigan game, when a player would score, there was no excitement/ enthusism after the score.  tonight, they played like they wanted it, and enjoyed when they scored.  if youre not excited to score at the D1 level, are you really interested to play at all?

13 hours ago, bcblues said:

Keirsted has to stay out of the box.  Reiger has got to play better. Gooch looked a bit better, but still has to get his mojo risin' Scheel played his butt off and I have to say that is the best I have seen him play in a long, long time.

Agreed....they seem to be fine on PP and 3v3 (when there is more time and space) but even strength we struggle a bit more this year compared to last.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed....they seem to be fine on PP and 3v3 (when there is more time and space) but even strength we struggle a bit more this year compared to last.

The two missing d-men would make a big difference. Obviously, they're unavailable until after the WJC. Also, I don't get why people think that Jordan Kawaguchi is struggling. He's tied for third in points, one point behind UND forward Shane Pinto, and UMD forward Nick Swaney. He's recorded a point in every game that he's played in this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Biggest concern I have coming out of this game other than turning the puck over is line 4.  With the TV timeouts this shouldn't be a big deal, but at the time UND just can't regularly put their fourth line on the ice in a close game.  I think Keane has had a great start, but you can see the deer in the headlights look with Ness and Albrecht.  When Judd and Blaisdell get back this won't be an issue, but Saturday with Duluth will be a tight three line game, and then you've got Miami Sunday night which will need to be all hands on deck after Duluth the day before.  I don't see the lines changing at all for Duluth, but they may have to against Miami.     

There were a couple times when that line had St. Cloud hemmed up in their own zone for a while.  Ness made a bad play not chipping it up the boards on one of their goals, but I think he hasn't been too bad.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

There were a couple times when that line had St. Cloud hemmed up in their own zone for a while.  Ness made a bad play not chipping it up the boards on one of their goals, but I think he hasn't been too bad.  

Most of my concern is with not being able to play them in the third period after SCSU tied it up.  Keane did play some big minutes on the major penalty kill, so maybe that prevented them from getting another shift. 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Goon said:

The two missing d-men would make a big difference. Obviously, they're unavailable until after the WJC. Also, I don't get why people think that Jordan Kawaguchi is struggling. He's tied for third in points, one point behind UND forward Shane Pinto, and UMD forward Nick Swaney. He's recorded a point in every game that he's played in this season. 

No I don’t really think he’s struggling..just looking at him from a prospect standpoint 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

No I don’t really think he’s struggling...just looking at him from a prospect standpoint 

I think he's getting the hell checked out of him to. It's like every time he hits the ice he has a man or two on him. He's found a way to get open in key times. I went back at his stats form last year and he's right where he was last year. I am waiting for his break out moment this season where he gets five or six points in a weekend series. 

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think he's getting the hell checked out of him to. It's like every time he hits the ice he has a man or two on him. He's found a way to get open in key times. I went back at his stats form last year and he's right where he was last year. I am waiting for his break out moment this season where he gets five or six points in a weekend series. 

Ya it will come. Too skilled.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:44 PM, siouxforce19 said:

Of course we can add someone at semester break. Happens all the time. Doesn’t mean Berry will want to.  Sometimes it messes with team chemistry. I don’t think he’ll add someone for the sake of having an extra body - they’d have to be able to add something to the team. I’m sure they’ll give it some thought after the pod ends. 

Good news...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6817682-UND-hockey-team-to-add-Louis-Jamernik-to-roster-for-second-half-of-the-season?fbclid=IwAR04lM3J3_QI1212Ct7b2RoXxujo4Prjz1NJaHm4VovTawLegNddseKq7PA