SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

15 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

The nursing homes appear to be scrambling to figure out how to prevent the infections from entering their facilities. Thankfully ND was one of the four states that will have mass testing at long term care facilities to weed out asymptomatic carriers. 

Even though we don't believe this is harmful to kids you still can't allow schools to become covid petri dishes. This would spread to all students' families since you can't isolate kids from their parents. We still need more PPE but with mass testing/contact tracing/quarantines for infected, schools should finally be allowed to open. 

How is this issue being dealt with in daycare facilities? Or are they not operating anymore? I believe they are, but admittedly I don't know that for a fact.

Sunshine you say:

Both visible and UV daylight can impact the viability of the germs, with one study on the flu virus, cited by the team, showing simulated sunlight cut its half-life from around 31 minutes in the dark to two minutes.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, keikla said:

Have you seen what Central Park looks like on a nice sunny day?  Now ramp that up significantly cause most people aren't working.  It's naive to think that covid can't spread while outside if everyone is still right on top of each other.  If people can find a way to get outside and actually maintain social distance, then go right ahead.

I know there is a lot of open space whether it is the Beaches or Central Park that people could easily keep 6 feet apart.

I know I usually dont usually come very close to strangers when I'm outside.

But instead the majority of the governors made it illegal to sit on a blanket outside.

When they should have been encouraging people to get outside.

Instead the media is beach shaming Florida right now.

2 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

How is this issue being dealt with in daycare facilities? Or are they not operating anymore? I believe they are, but admittedly I don't know that for a fact.

In ND I believe daycare facilities are allowed to be fully open. Most are smaller so not as big of a problem but I think the larger ones could pose some problems.

With this scientific data why isn't Walz ending stay at home orders immediately and encouraging people to go get fresh air (open your windows) and get sunlight but maintaining social distancing?

Those things can help boost the immune system thus helping prevent people from getting the virus should you come in contact with it later.

Oh wait. He still wants people to drink that "essential alcohol" which weakens immune systems.

11 minutes ago, keikla said:

Parks in NY are still open, they're just being monitored by police who are giving "friendly" reminders to people who aren't social distancing.  Go ahead, go out for a walk.  Just don't play a game of pick-up basketball with 5 of your friends.  And again, I'm saying this in reference to highly populated areas where infections are still rampant.

Your only allowed outside for supposed "exercise".

Everything else for the most part is illegal.

In California we see skateboarding isn't even considered exercise (at least not at a skatepark?). 

55 minutes ago, keikla said:

Here's the problem...I don't see anyone lining up to offer their nursing home facilities as a designated facility for covid patients.  Doing so would mean finding new places of residence for those in the nursing home who are not positive and only taking hospital discharges of those who are.  When all your hospitals are functioning at 150-200% capacity, patients who are healthy enough to be discharged need to be discharged ASAP, because there are 50+ more people waiting in the ER hallways for those beds.  It's a lose-lose situation.  If long-term care or rehab facilities had been able to refuse to take those patients, NYC metro would have run out of hospital beds several weeks ago.  What does that mean for all those who got sick after that happened?

The only possible solution I can think of is for the state to dictate that specific facilities be covid facilities, and I'm sure there would be a huge uproar about that too.  Keeping recovered patients in the hospital indefinitely is not an option.

No here is the problem.  The Gov and head health were both aware of the situation and did nothing.  If my loved one was in a nursing home and became afflicted because they did nothing I would be pissed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-gilead-sciences/gilead-disputes-report-that-coronavirus-drug-trial-flopped-idUSKCN225326

Gilead Sciences Inc’s (GILD.O) experimental coronavirus drug failed its first randomized clinical trial, the Financial Times reported on Thursday, but the drugmaker said the results from the study in China was inconclusive as it was terminated early.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Hospitals all over the country have tons of excess capacity right now- tons of excess capacity.

So let's start scheduling regular visits and elective surgeries again. I know of someone that has had her post-cancer treatment scans delayed two months so far because of this and she'd like to get this taken care of to make sure the cancer has not returned.

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

This is one of the reasons why Trump wins re-election. CNN is a shame of a media outlet and the Mayor handled herself well after this hit job. She care about her people, and Cooper had no response for that.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

- 411,000 weekday daily ridership

NYC Subway
- 5.6 million weekday daily ridership

Sooooo...it would take an extreme genius to shutdown the Subway system in NYC...SF shut down everything including Bart while NYC kept subways and schools open.  

my point is that political finger pointing aimed at the federal government ignores 2 states that for all intents and purposes respond to DC in the same way...yet for one it’s been the flu and for the other a disaster...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, keikla said:

Preferably no (or major limits) on the elective surgeries since medication supply chains are so tight, but I don't see why imaging departments in non-affected areas can't be running like normal.

In her case they are sedated scans, so maybe its the meds or the vent needed.