SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

16 hours ago, UND1983 said:

This team needs to find a coach who understands defense. Getting old watching the matador thing.

I agree but to play good defense at the D1 level, you need good athletes with good quickness.  IMO, we have pretty good BB players but not great athletes. I think the coach understands this but she inherited a team with one available scholarship - pretty difficult to get the right kind of athletes under those circumstances!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I agree but to play good defense at the D1 level, you need good athletes with good quickness.  IMO, we have pretty good BB players but not great athletes. I think the coach understands this but she inherited a team with one available scholarship - pretty difficult to get the right kind of athletes under those circumstances!

i remember watching und play gonzaga a few years back thinking that we were close to getting to that level of atheticism....it's been downhill ever since imo

It just bothers me just how fall this program has fallen.  It really wasn't that long ago that this team was dancing and looked like they were ready to be a Big Sky power.  I haven't followed as much as I did when I was in college but man.... 

USD and SDSU are powers, and NDSU is on the rise (they finally have the right person as coach).  I'm not happy with the fact that UND is at the bottom looking up and batting Omaha for the basement.  

The same Omaha team that I watched in Sioux Falls and thought USD could have put up 150 on them.  

Patience I will have, but it still stinks. 

35 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It just bothers me just how fall this program has fallen.  It really wasn't that long ago that this team was dancing and looked like they were ready to be a Big Sky power.  I haven't followed as much as I did when I was in college but man.... 

USD and SDSU are powers, and NDSU is on the rise (they finally have the right person as coach).  I'm not happy with the fact that UND is at the bottom looking up and batting Omaha for the basement.  

The same Omaha team that I watched in Sioux Falls and thought USD could have put up 150 on them.  

Patience I will have, but it still stinks. 

Top of the Big Sky is middle of the pack in the Summit in women's basketball. They will need to get much better than their best Big Sky team to compete for a title in the Summit. NDSU waited 10 years to find a coach that can compete. Hopefully for UND you don't have to wait that long. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Top of the Big Sky is middle of the pack in the Summit in women's basketball. They will need to get much better than their best Big Sky team to compete for a title in the Summit. NDSU waited 10 years to find a coach that can compete. Hopefully for UND you don't have to wait that long. 

I'd live with that over what is happening now.  

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I loved Roebuck,  I like Brewster but he fell of a cliff,  To early to tell about Mallory.  She was put in a very tough spot.  Brewster was not going to take us to the promised land.

I'm sure Mallory is on a short lease.  What would you do different?

If Brewster left the cupboard as bare as the NDSU coach did, she needs to clean house. I am not sure he did though. Collins has just  3 girls left from the previous staff. All of the rest are his recruits. That is cleaning house in just his second year. He was honest in his first singing day press conference when he basically said he didn’t have the kids in the program when the toughness and talent to compete. He definitely was right. Bernhardt may have to do the same. I know that is harder to do when she was part of the previous staff, but I don’t think she has the talent to compete with the SDSU’s or USD’s. Maybe not with NDSU this year either.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they gave her the job and I'm glad she at least gets a shot to show what type of players she can bring in. The problem is that you really don't know what you have with freshmen and they and she needs time. Not sure how much they will give her.

15 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm glad they gave her the job and I'm glad she at least gets a shot to show what type of players she can bring in. The problem is that you really don't know what you have with freshmen and they and she needs time. Not sure how much they will give her.

She is the interim coach.  Its not her job.  The only reason she got it was because of Covid, she will need to win to keep it.

My take on this team is it needs good point guard and rest of the talent on this team is quite good and if you had top point guard they would be contending in the summit.  I look at Montana State game and thought if you put their point guard on UND team how different UND would look as a team. Having a point guard that can shoot and drive would open the game up to all other girls for UND.  It opens it up for Fleecs and Leet because opponents couldn't double down from the guards because they have to respect the point guard ability to hit from outside. Second they could set screen for point guard to drive and then have it  fed back to them when defense would be collapsing on driving guard. Now to defense having top point guard means you shut down your opponents ability to drive down on your front court getting them in foul trouble besides out position to rebound the basketball. North Dakota hasn't had point guard since they went to NCAA and that guard got hurt and  Brewster did his thing once somebody got hurt didn't want to use them again and started playing mind games. Mallory its far to early to see what she will be as head coach and for sure she is dealing with more issues than normal new head coach would be dealing with because of Covid. Like somebody said she had only one scholarship to make changes to the team and i will give her credit it was invested on point guard but i don't think Wallace isn't type of player that i was describing above. But circumstances we have today i don't if it was possible to find player like Montana State got last year with way Covid has shut down the sports world.

I personally hope they look for a new coach next year.  Someone who will have a fresh set of eyes on the program.  You can see what NDSU did with finding the right coach.  He brings a new attitude to that team.   This team is essentially the same team minus one player as last year.  In my opinion with just the first 3 games I think they look worse then last year and have taken steps backwards.   The freshman 5 are not seeing as many minutes and the upperclassman seem to be carrying all the minutes and I dont know that they deserve those minutes.  As a outsider looking in I believe our team needs to go in a whole different direction.  

I see because of testing issues game was cancelled with Old Dominion .  It appears they are still dealing with players having covid or at least coaches and people around the team. Not great start to get program up running after change in coaches. I hope things start to change for the team.

They've only played 3 games so far, in a very weird season. And they've been in all 3, even against Marquette. She has not had a chance to show anything yet. She's a super competitor. (She coached her old high school team to 2 state championships in the interim between playing at UND and coaching here.) I think Mallory is going to surprise some people.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Big Lubowski said:

They've only played 3 games so far, in a very weird season. And they've been in all 3, even against Marquette. She has not had a chance to show anything yet. She's a super competitor. (She coached her old high school team to 2 state championships in the interim between playing at UND and coaching here.) I think Mallory is going to surprise some people.

I have much respect for Mallory.  I like the aggressiveness of recruiting worth offers to younger and Canadian.  She wants to find a way to win.  I think she will.

• Upvote 2

Talk of playing under the radar in Wisconsin for women's basketball they played Wisconsin today and still nothing reported other than on Und site. Second what's with roster no one is giving any information on why we haven't seen Keplin and Borowicz for last couple of games are they hurt is because of Covid  restrictions. Its like it national secret   for not playing. If I have any fault with the new coach she needs to more public and talking about this team that's how you get interest in this team. You need to get information out to the public so people start investing in this team and you as a coach for the future.  Brewster used up any good will UND had with women's basketball last couple of years with fans. Even when things are not going well people like to see what you are doing to overcome these struggles and people begin to invest and believe in  you as coach and the players. Yes there will be criticisms from people but it puts you out front dealing with perceived problems and lets you tell your story of what you trying to accomplish.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Talk of playing under the radar in Wisconsin for women's basketball they played Wisconsin today and still nothing reported other than on Und site. Second what's with roster no one is giving any information on why we haven't seen Keplin and Borowicz for last couple of games are they hurt is because of Covid  restrictions. Its like it national secret   for not playing. If I have any fault with the new coach she needs to more public and talking about this team that's how you get interest in this team. You need to get information out to the public so people start investing in this team and you as a coach for the future.  Brewster used up any good will UND had with women's basketball last couple of years with fans. Even when things are not going well people like to see what you are doing to overcome these struggles and people begin to invest and believe in  you as coach and the players. Yes there will be criticisms from people but it puts you out front dealing with perceived problems and lets you tell your story of what you trying to accomplish.

We all would like to know more but schools and coaches are restricted from disclosing COVID-related info or the details of other injuries about their athletes.  I would guess that their absence isn’t for disciplinary reasons but it also isn’t smart for coaches to air any “dirty laundry “ that is going on with their players. 

The men's basketball it was aired during the game the DAE had ankle issue and same with Wilson for SDSU he had sore foot would not play. So tell me how this can be done but on women's side we had nothing mentioned about players.  To me it just seems inconsistent on reporting of these teams.  I agree that i don't think its disciplinary but it sure would helpful for people following the team why were short contributing players. If you look at the major programs if contributing players even have blister its on national sports. Also we hear anything happens to hockey team just look at current story of being short handed because of injuries and now we have several players from women's team not playing not a word. I will bet you this information creates interest in what's happening with hockey and why they are struggling right now to explain to fans what's happening doesn't women's basketball deserve same type of consideration too!