SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- 1/31 & 2/1

stoneySIOUX

Really hope this spike in goals against and couple of lop-sided losses since the break has lit a fire under our guys' a$$e$ this week. CC has always been a gritty team and is often full of surprises, but knowing the measure of character and resiliency in our guys gives me resounding confidence for a sweep this weekend. 

59 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Really hope this spike in goals against and couple of lop-sided losses since the break has lit a fire under our guys' a$$e$ this week. CC has always been a gritty team and is often full of surprises, but knowing the measure of character and resiliency in our guys gives me resounding confidence for a sweep this weekend. 

Are Wilkie and Halloran on the same line?   If so, put the hard line against them.  Shut down that line, and it makes it pretty tough on CC.   As he was near his home area last week, Michaud once again will have an extra focus, and expect him to be dialed in.  Of course, I'm sure CC would like nothing better than to give him an extra shot when possible.  

For this team to maximize its potential, it's absolutely crucial to get Scheel back on track. He is the better goalie of the two. That'll have to wait though. Thome should get the start on Friday. If he's not lights out, go with Scheel Saturday. 

Being aware they are currently both #1 in the conference and in the pairwise, I still feel it's important they sweep this weekend. They need to start stringing wins together. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, AJS said:

For this team to maximize its potential, it's absolutely crucial to get Scheel back on track. He is the better goalie of the two. That'll have to wait though. Thome should get the start on Friday. If he's not lights out, go with Scheel Saturday. 

Being aware they are currently both #1 in the conference and in the pairwise, I still feel it's important they sweep this weekend. They need to start stringing wins together. 

Spot on.

6 hours ago, tnt said:

Are Wilkie and Halloran on the same line?   If so, put the hard line against them.  Shut down that line, and it makes it pretty tough on CC.   As he was near his home area last week, Michaud once again will have an extra focus, and expect him to be dialed in.  Of course, I'm sure CC would like nothing better than to give him an extra shot when possible.  

Haviland’s been splitting them up. He did so most recently against Omaha. Haviland said in his post game interview on Saturday that the team is very fragile right now. He ain’t kidding; after blowing a first period 3-0 lead on Friday, they went out with a whimper on Saturday evening. 

Wilkie gets visibly irritated out there on the ice so UND can definitely get in his head if they limit his time and space. Third period against Omaha, down 3-1, Wilkie rings one off the crossbar and the puck goes out of play. Wilkie slams his stick against the end boards and the Omaha players chirped him pretty good. From then on, he was basically non-existent out there. 

As an aside, I saw Wilkie ring iron twice last weekend. I don’t recall any player who’s hit the post more times in his career than Wilkie. Ironically, he rang iron 3 times in a 3-1 loss at CC his sophomore season.  

30 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

He’s got a shoot first mentality for sure. Ever since he arrived two seasons ago, Haviland has said he has an NHL caliber shot and the hardest shot on the team.

CC puts him on the off wing D so they can set him up for the big Ovechkin one-timer. Problem is, they go to that well so often, teams have scouted them and have adjusted their PK to that. 

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

In 2014-15, Brock Boeser was the season high score for Waterloo in the USHL. Guess who was the season high scorer for  Tri-City that season?..... Chris Wilkie

5 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Need a sweep when at home against a team currently 39 in the pairwise. 

Be careful not to underestimate them because of PW.  They beat Mich St., Minn., swept Cloud on the road, and were respectable in 3 of 4 games against Denver and UMD.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Do you mean in the conference? USCHO has him at 33rd in pts.  Nevermind... "Goal" scorer.  Helps to read the words :)

Edited by Fader

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

As an aside, I saw Wilkie ring iron twice last weekend. I don’t recall any player who’s hit the post more times in his career than Wilkie. Ironically, he rang iron 3 times in a 3-1 loss at CC his sophomore season.  

I always figured guys who hit iron a lot are just good shooters 2” from a perfect shot, whereas shooting into numbers drives me crazy. 
I think Ovechkin lead the league in posts one year and I read that at one time Stamkos was the all time leader.

Or maybe they just shoot a lot, I dunno 

I have wondered if our sometime problem of not scoring goals is the consequence of emphasis of "defensive responsibility"...   Wilkie is sort of a poster child, flourishes when his creativity is sparked.  Not saying any issue with teaching the defensive side of being a forward as that will help every recruit continue their career at a higher level, just that some suffer a set back (mentally) and takes recovery time