SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- 1/31 & 2/1

stoneySIOUX

15 hours ago, tnt said:

It’s pretty impressive that Wilkie is the second leading goal scorer in the country.  Hopefully we can contain him this weekend.

He does have a rich history of scoring goals in The Ralph. ;)

He scored a total of one goal his entire sophomore season which means he is guaranteed to score at least two this weekend. 

15 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I have wondered if our sometime problem of not scoring goals is the consequence of emphasis of "defensive responsibility"...   Wilkie is sort of a poster child, flourishes when his creativity is sparked.  Not saying any issue with teaching the defensive side of being a forward as that will help every recruit continue their career at a higher level, just that some suffer a set back (mentally) and takes recovery time

Wilkie didn't struggle here due to a lack of opportunity. I think it was about a lack of strong skating to get open space and get his shot off. He's grown up as a player, gotten stronger, faster and improved overall, so he's now able to get open. 

14 hours ago, burd said:

Be careful not to underestimate them because of PW.  They beat Mich St., Minn., swept Cloud on the road, and were respectable in 3 of 4 games against Denver and UMD.

I was? Und has a shot at the number 1 overall seed and a loss or two to the 39 team would not benefit. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Wilkie didn't struggle here due to a lack of opportunity. I think it was about a lack of strong skating to get open space and get his shot off. He's grown up as a player, gotten stronger, faster and improved overall, so he's now able to get open. 

Good hypothesis.  I’d add that some player’s games don’t mesh well with a particular coach or system or linemates as well.  I’m glad he found a good fit and found his game...hope he loses it somewhere between CC and GF tomorrow

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Wilkie’s two-way game is suspect too. Been to enough games this season and last (before his injury) to see that he loafs when getting back the other direction. He seems less interested in playing in the D zone than the O zone. 

That doesn't fly at UND unless you're elite and even our elite players (I think immediately of Danny Kristo), eventually learn to play in all zones.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That doesn't fly at UND unless you're elite and even our elite players (I think immediately of Danny Kristo), eventually learn to play in all zones.

that is exactly what i am getting at, Wilkie didn't flourish at UND because the change to "this level needs defense mindedness or you won't go far" mentality threw him off his game which is all O and be the hot dog from which he didn't recover well.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Wilkie has 122 shots on goal with the next closest player for CC being Cruikshank with 72.  Wilkie is going to try to shoot every puck he sees which might end up with numerous odd man rushes for us if we can get in lanes and block shots.

I assume he is their designated shooter on their first PP unit. 

I'm sure Wilkie would've prob started the last two years if he stuck around, we could've used his right handed shot.  Like many said, it takes some players a few years to adjust to the college game.  Look at our Juniors this year, prob the biggest reason for this year turnaround.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Over Pinto? 

No, but when Pinto's not an option. 

The reason is the RH shot, the power of the shot, and it keeps two defensemen on the ice if one can play in the (wait for it) ...  Ovi Office.*

* Ovechkin, Caps, Washington, White House in the logo ... the Ovi Office ... get it? ... get it? ... ... I'll see myself out

• Like 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

The reason is the RH shot, the power of the shot, and it's keeps two defensemen on the ice if one can play in the (wait for it) ...  Ovi Office.*

* Ovechkin, Caps, Washington, White House in the logo ... the Ovi Office ... get it? ... get it? ... ... I'll see myself out

Ovi Office... I like it!

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The reason is the RH shot, the power of the shot, and it keeps two defensemen on the ice if one can play in the (wait for it) ...  Ovi Office.*

Sic is bright but entirely shameless.

And maybe that's a quality combination.