SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver - the race for banner #9

GoalieMask

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's also an issue when his color guy calls out a fanbase and throws out "keyboard warriors".  What a bleeping idiot.  I hope he reads this so he knows everyone thinks he's terrible.  

I mean... Bruce Ciskie’s background picture on his Twitter page is a screen shot from this page.

So you know these type of people are stopping by. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's also an issue when his color guy calls out a fanbase and throws out "keyboard warriors".  What a bleeping idiot.  I hope he reads this so he knows everyone thinks he's terrible.  

To be fair Tim Hennessey has intimated the same things on a consistent basis.  Both he and Ralston continually ripped on people that questioned Rudy and Shaw.  The ironic part is that the head coaches in both sports must have had the same conclusions.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, tnt said:

To be fair Tim Hennessey has intimated the same things on a consistent basis.  Both he and Ralston continually ripped on people that questioned Rudy and Shaw.  The ironic part is that the head coaches in both sports must have had the same conclusions.

It just took them a few more years....

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I mean... Bruce Ciskie’s background picture on his Twitter page is a screen shot from this page.

So you know these type of people are stopping by. 

You get to a whole new level of idiot with Ciskie. 

You are a big shot radio personality who puts the H in homer radio broadcasting, and you spend time on a rival's non school affiliated fan board?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Tim always has his jabs he throws out.  Been the same for years.  Makes a quick comment and then moves on.  Ole going into full diatribe rube rant mode on air about what us "keyboard warriors" had to say about an under performing team much of us would give a kidney too IMHO undermined any credibility he might of had to begin with.

Kinda like the #ferdaoxbow thing the players had going two years ago. You just knew that team was screwed if that of all things was their rally cry.  :huh:

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

@Bruce Ciskie A bit of an exaggeration. You are the worst PxP announcer in college hockey, basically** ;). I do understand that you cater to the team you cover but you are 100% biased and rarely ever show any resemblance of moderation which makes your broadcasts intolerable.

I want to say he’s mis-charecterizing, but in his defense, I guess by limiting to “select North Dakota” fans he is technically right that only those semi-knowledgeable enough to know who he is, separate him from any other pxp, and have had the misfortune of having listened to him would categorize him as “the worst person” in this context. Funny thing is instead of getting a clue and looking at what he could be doing differently as a “broadcast professional”, he’s probably going to take this as evidence that he was right all along for being beyond ridiculously biased (poor me, those meanie UND fans just keep picking on me for absolutely no reason) - or was it simply the attention he wants. Oh well, I put it on UMD fans much like UMN fans before that they apparently want to drink the crazy kool-aid where every call is an injustice and they’d never lose a game if they weren’t cheated - instead of moving onto a better broadcast option. All the more reason to appreciate Alex and Jake’s knowledge and professionalism I suppose. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

I want to say he’s mis-charecterizing, but in his defense, I guess by limiting to “select North Dakota” fans he is technically right that only those semi-knowledgeable enough to know who he is, separate him from any other pxp, and have had the misfortune of having listened to him would categorize him as “the worst person” in this context. Funny thing is instead of getting a clue and looking at what he could be doing differently as a “broadcast professional”, he’s probably going to take this as evidence that he was right all along for being beyond ridiculously biased (poor me, those meanie UND fans just keep picking on me for absolutely no reason) - or was it simply the attention he wants. Oh well, I put it on UMD fans much like UMN fans before that they apparently want to drink the crazy kool-aid where every call is an injustice and they’d never lose a game if they weren’t cheated - instead of moving onto a better broadcast option. All the more reason to appreciate Alex and Jake’s knowledge and professionalism I suppose. 

He's the Mike Mcfeely of Duluth. He thrives on being awful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

@Bruce Ciskie A bit of an exaggeration. You are the worst PxP announcer in college hockey, basically** ;). I do understand that you cater to the team you cover but you are 100% biased and rarely ever show any resemblance of moderation which makes your broadcasts intolerable.

See final period of third place game a few years ago on NCHC.TV.  

Like a three year old who got his dolly taken away he threw a temper tantrum on the air in what was the worst broadcasted period in hockey history.  Sad part is that he knew he had the call and professionalism and class still went out the window.  

People call a spade a spade and he heads to Twitter so he can be reassured by good honest people like Drunk Hockey Guy that its okay.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If he's their radio guy, why would any Sioux fans bother listening to his broadcasts? Or care what he thinks?

Sometimes his radio call is picked up for NCHC.tv, as Wilbur mentions in the post above yours.
I remember that game as well, Wilbur. 

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Sometimes his radio call is picked up for NCHC.tv, as Wilbur mentions in the post above yours.
I remember that game as well, Wilbur. 

Many years ago I listened to him for the first time ever during the WCHA playoffs when the dogs were at SCSU and game 3 went to OT.  Duluth fans on USCHO always raved about how great he was, so I picked Duluth radio feed online instead of SCSU one at beginning of the game. (Bad choice) Frantically tried to switch to SCSU feed, but must have been too much traffic on their online feed and could only listen to him.  Should have just turned it off.....had me cheering for SCSU....:unsure:

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If he's their radio guy, why would any Sioux fans bother listening to his broadcasts? Or care what he thinks?

That said, he's got too thin of skin for his industry to be so clearly affected by what he read on our forum. If he didn't care, he wouldn't reference it repeatedly.

Well it’s not like we have a choice when we watch UND@ UMD games... 

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

People call a spade a spade and he heads to Twitter so he can be reassured by good honest people like Drunk Hockey Guy that its okay.

It's hilarious that he ran to his Twitter echo chamber for validation after reading about how awful he is at PxP.

• Upvote 1

My view on announcers is this.  I have no problem if the regular announcers of a team are "homers."  The vast majority of them are, and I really wouldn't expect anything else.  But it is refreshing, and enjoyable, when they are not.

Denver's tv guys were great.  They called the game as they saw it, even though you know and could tell that they would prefer a Denver victory rather than a North Dakota victory.  I think our tv guys are pretty good too, in that regard.

Tim is a homer.  Anyone who doesn't recognize that needs to take out the green-shaded earbuds.  But Tim is an excellent pxp guy because, a) he knows the players on both teams by name, and uses those names, rather than a steady stream of "a long pass up the wing and North Dakota is in on a breakaway" and, b) he has regular phrases that he uses to let you know where on the ice the puck is at so you can paint a mental picture when you are listening to the radio.

As for the "keyboard warriors" comment, I have no problem with announcers or media calling out internet board posts, if they think they are wrong.  Why do we get to call them out if they don't get to call us out?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I thought it was the My 9 broadcasters. Thru weren't great, but if an announcer is not worth listening to, the mute button is an option.

I think last year they only televised one of the games so we got Ciskie. 

I personally will mute after putting up with enough of the broadcasting, and follow the live chat so I know when to unmute when we score and the announcers get mad :lol:

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

I think last year they only televised one of the games so we got Ciskie. 

I personally always mute, and follow the live chat so I know when to unmute when we score and the announcers get mad :lol:

Haha. I use the mute most of the time too but hadn't thought of that.

CC's announcer isn't bad at what he does, but the audio is lo-fi or whatever so it sounds bad.

9 hours ago, SJHovey said:

My view on announcers is this.  I have no problem if the regular announcers of a team are "homers."  The vast majority of them are, and I really wouldn't expect anything else.  But it is refreshing, and enjoyable, when they are not.

Denver's tv guys were great.  They called the game as they saw it, even though you know and could tell that they would prefer a Denver victory rather than a North Dakota victory.  I think our tv guys are pretty good too, in that regard.

mediocre at best. PxP is fine. Color guy, JJ, is tough to listen to. Says some idiotic things and also a huge homer. 

My main issue with color guys is when they talk to the fans AS FANS. Keep the professionalism and talk about the game as a job, not a fan.

My main issue with announcers are when they can scream into the microphone like fanboys after goals... in other words, when they cross the line from announcer to doating fan. Listen to Heinert or TH call a goal, there's a proper level of excitement but their voices aren't shrill.

My favorite goal call is Lapanta, he called both sides with equal enthusiasm. Remember the timeout game? Both gopher and sioux goals were called with a lot of energy, makes it fun to watch for both fanbases.

Worst is when pxp or color guys give too much emphasis of intimidating predestined greatness or power to random things that dont deserve it in the context... tough to describe...

but like when the older guy for UMtc, the one that sounded like he had ice cubes and olives from his martini rolling around in his mouth, .... would greatly overemphasise a simple zone entry to make it seem as if some overly powerful entity was involved and the opposition should quake at their percieved amazingness.

Alex tends to do this as well, especially in some of the other things he does... but does so as well in desribing hockey