SiouxSports.com Forum

New NCAA Rules

Mama Sue

Yesterday the NCAA voted to allow student athletes to “benefit from the use of their name, image, and likeness.” They directed all three divisions to create the new rules necessary by 2021. 
Not so sure I like this.... will promotion be another carrot dangled in front if students along with scholarships? 
will they promote the JuiceU stuff?

Life was simple pro and amateur and you knew which one was on the cereal box.

12 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Yesterday the NCAA voted to allow student athletes to “benefit from the use of their name, image, and likeness.” They directed all three divisions to create the new rules necessary by 2021. 
Not so sure I like this.... will promotion be another carrot dangled in front if students along with scholarships? 

Will more recruits go to the bigger cities where there are major companies that can pay them for their name and image?  There might be a bigger disparity between the haves and have nots.  

• Upvote 4

Certainly seems like an enormous backdoor way to evade scholarship limits.  Just have a couple backroom conversations with boosters and "bam" your new recruit is set.

How many "car commercials" with local football, basketball, and hockey stars are in our future...

In that vein it can certainly help sports the University can't fund scholarships due to Title 9 issues (aka golf, baseball, M volleyball, etc), but the community now has a way to fund 'scholarships'.  

No idea how D-3 stays 'clean' of this.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

College kids and supposed amateurs have been getting paid under the table in all sports since time immemorial.  Heck the NCAA was making money off of the kids they were putting the screws to.

What promotions are you referring to? Be specific.

I'm torn. 

Clearly the student-athlete's image has value or else why would it be used in advertising for sporting events? 

But this screams to me, as some speculate, as a way to get additional (under the table, but now above the table) dollars to athletes directly from boosters.

Put another way: How many Alabama FB starters will be hocking cars in car ads on Tuscaloosa TV in coming days? 

Promotions to me means... car ads, technology ads, nutritional supplements/energy ads, beverage ads, featured ads, etc. radioTV and social media.... how will UND compete with that?

Oh I know about amateur athletes getting paid... my son is a sophomore... went from Bantam A to first line varsity.... I am sitting in the local arena before a game... a man comes up to me and asks if we were interested in our son playing for (city with a strong hockey team). He promised D1 scout exposures AND cash each year he played.... seriously. I just said no.

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm torn. 

Clearly the student-athlete's image has value or else why would it be used in advertising for sporting events? 

But this screams to me, as some speculate, as a way to get additional (under the table, but now above the table) dollars to athletes directly from boosters.

Put another way: How many Alabama FB starters will be hocking cars in car ads on Tuscaloosa TV in coming days? 

I feel the same way. I feel torn, yet see the many ways for this to be used/abused.

If you're a great recruit, and you really don't care about curriculum, you can tell coaches that you want them to set up promotional deals before you sign the LOI. Then you get to the campus and collect your money and it could be a LOT of money.

Clemson and Bama and yes even SU will benefit from this as they are the big dogs in the FB landscape in their respective divisions. Not seeing how it helps UND right now. 

The NCAA almost certainly will put a cap on how much money an athlete can make each year.  Might vary by sport, or might be the same across the board.  Either way, they need to prevent schools scamming the system by promising so "Johnny starting Quarterback" isn't promised a $20,000 commercial spot for Al's Car Wash in Tuscaloosa!!

2 minutes ago, shep said:

I feel the same way. I feel torn, yet see the many ways for this to be used/abused.

If you're a great recruit, and you really don't care about curriculum, you can tell coaches that you want them to set up promotional deals before you sign the LOI. Then you get to the campus and collect your money and it could be a LOT of money.

Clemson and Bama and yes even SU will benefit from this as they are the big dogs in the FB landscape in their respective divisions. Not seeing how it helps UND right now. 

But Bison73 says that they already cheat anyway.

5 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Amateurism was a sham from day one with regard to college athletics. Even the term student athlete is a joke. 

Thinking this will be a money grab for hyenas.com (HS agents) to come out of woodwork and “educate” parents to the premium $ pathways for their kid....(buyer beware I guess) I’m sure ALL the drawbacks were considered by NCAA, but I always felt payment was already happening since their school & board + now COA was “comp”-ed and they graduate with no bills.....

Confu$ing topic.    
GO HAWKS keep it going... beat Weber !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

This may be the impetus to remove intercollegiate and inter scholastic athletics from from educational institutions. Being a college athlete isn’t a “full time job”.  At UND/NDSU full scholarships for instate kids are around $21,400 instate and 33,000 out of state.  Throw in free travel, hotel and stipend clothing/gear  it’s at least $25,000-$35,000 per athlete per year.  Many in the media are pushing for the NCAA changes. What will that do to the team culture. The star QB, RB, CB, LB, WR can negotiate for tens of thousands of dollars at schools our size and, in some cases, millions at the big time schools.  What about the Off linemen, Def linemen who don’t get recognition but are an important part of the success of the star athlete. What about the back ups or scout team players who make the star athlete better?  The NCAA caved to media pressure, political pressure and lobby groups. I don’t think it is in the best interest of colleges and universities nor intercollegiate athletics.  How soon before HS athletes demand money?  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

This may be the impetus to remove intercollegiate and inter scholastic athletics from from educational institutions. Being a college athlete isn’t a “full time job”.  At UND/NDSU full scholarships for instate kids are around $21,400 instate and 33,000 out of state.  Throw in free travel, hotel and stipend clothing/gear  it’s at least $25,000-$35,000 per athlete per year.  Many in the media are pushing for the NCAA changes. What will that do to the team culture. The star QB, RB, CB, LB, WR can negotiate for tens of thousands of dollars at schools our size and, in some cases, millions at the big time schools.  What about the Off linemen, Def linemen who don’t get recognition but are an important part of the success of the star athlete. What about the back ups or scout team players who make the star athlete better?  The NCAA caved to media pressure, political pressure and lobby groups. I don’t think it is in the best interest of colleges and universities nor intercollegiate athletics.  How soon before HS athletes demand money?  

I think the NCAA as an institution stinks. It's a money grab entity and they saw that the states were going to allow this so they jumped in to make sure they looked good AND I bet they will seek some way to get some of the money the players are supposed to get.

Student athletes have not been strictly amateur for awhile as I believe the NCAA suffers from lack of enforcement as much as selective enforcement. Look at College BB and the shoe deals scandal. How could the NCAA not know about that, but it took the feds to investigate and go after the bad guys in this deal. 

But even the feds can't catch all the bad guys.

I doubt this will impact FCS football.  It doesn't make sense from a financial prospective.  Highly sought after FBS recruits will be getting the ad deals, etc... as incentive to go to Alabama, LSU, Texas...  I can't see FCS schools ponying up through boosters in a manner that would substantially alter the landscape.

Same for basketball.  It will be the same top programs having boosters offering Zion lord knows how much $ to go to their school of choice.

For UND, hockey would be the sport that may be effected.  It will be interesting to see how the coaches handle this situation in recruiting.  

26 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Thank you. I don't see analysts talking about this angle. If I'm a star QB rolling in endorsement dough, I'm gonna want to throw something at my linemen. Probably something more than a pair of Isotoner gloves, too.

One of the greatest unintended consequences of this move will be to alienate the handful of moneymakers on key revenue sports from 99.9% of their peers on campus, and on their own team.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

One of the greatest unintended consequences of this move will be to alienate the handful of moneymakers on key revenue sports from 99.9% of their peers on campus, and on their own team.

Indubitably. 

• Upvote 2