SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Drake GDT 8/31/2019

SiouxFan100

Other than Kett going down I was very pleased with what I saw yesterday. D line looked liked they belong and Freund called a great game. It's refreshing to see the diversity in play calling. I think 10 different players caught balls. Gee was also a pleasant surprise. I like the way he runs, although he is liable to get laid out at some point with how high his pads are when he runs.

• Upvote 3

Like I had hoped, Freund = wins. We’ll actually see how many over the course of the season, obviously. 

Certinly disappointing that Kett went down, but Zimmerman looked good. HUGE test next week for him, though. To be real, though, Drake doesn’t have the worst defense in the Pioneer League. 

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It's a three-day holiday weekend, usually considered the unofficial end of summer. I think a Thursday night game would have worked better for attendance, but it is what it is. I think the place will be rocking for SHSU and Potato Bowl.

i heard drake called the shots on the day and the time...stupid

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What do you mean shaky? For once, we didn't give up a bunch of big returns on punts and kickoffs, no blocked kicks and no missed kicks.

Everything else is spot-on.

UNDs opening kick was caught on their 12 yard line and returned past the 30. Another kick went out of bounds. Punt team had several guys taking the wrong blocks which didn’t result in a blocked punt, but it will definitely be noticed by NDSU during film. Coverage seemed good but not swarming, and all 3 kickers were on and off. Seeing inconsistencies with our kickers and blocking schemes definitely counts as shaky in my book. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

UNDs opening kick was caught on their 12 yard line and returned past the 30. Another kick went out of bounds. Punt team had several guys taking the wrong blocks which didn’t result in a blocked punt, but it will definitely be noticed by NDSU during film. Coverage seemed good but not swarming, and all 3 kickers were on and off. Seeing inconsistencies with our kickers and blocking schemes definitely counts as shaky in my book. 

I believe only one KO threatened to reach the end zone, too.

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I noticed that on our first punt the blocking looked especially suspect. I agree that su noticed and my guess will be going for a blocked punt or two against us.

Discouragingly that we STILL have this problem. Not good.

also agree that our kick off depths have not improved - that’s discouraging 

And I believe Cade’s punting average was skewed due to trying to pin a few short punts (which he failed to do anyway) but on 4 punts he averaged under 35 yards. He did have one boomer though. It had great hang time and was fair caught at 46 yards. That’d be great if he could do that more consistently. More importantly he needs to vastly improve on accuracy. Pinning opponents deep can be deadly. 

Nothing catastrophic like last season thus far, but they certainly still missed on a lot of important details that make all the difference on ST. Good teams will expose these missing attributes   

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

And I believe Cade’s punting average was skewed due to trying to pin a few short punts (which he failed to do anyway) but on 4 punts he averaged under 35 yards. He did have one boomer though. It had great hang time and was fair caught at 46 yards. That’d be great if he could do that more consistently. More importantly he needs to vastly improve on accuracy. Pinning opponents deep can be deadly. 

Nothing catastrophic like last season thus far, but they certainly still missed on a lot of important details that make all the difference on ST. Good teams will expose these missing attributes   

2 of his punts were short field and he pinned them inside the 20. 

Simply put for me, they performed in Week 1, like you'd expect a team you think is pretty good should perform. I'm trying to find a nice balance between getting too over excited, because the win was against a team that has historically gotten worked by Missouri Valley  / Big Sky teams, but also not trying to down play it too much. In all reality, that Game went about as well as one could have hoped for. 

My two biggest worries:

1. Ketteringham's injury. I'm more than ok with Zimmerman starting, I truly think it's a 1 / 1A type situation. We've seen how these things can pile up though. Need them both healthy.
  2. Kick offs. It's nice to see the back up at least find the end zone once. I'd feel better if he can hit that more times than not. Leach can't be used for kickoffs. I'm good with him kicking field goals though. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

2 of his punts were short field and he pinned them inside the 20. 

He had a very short field to work with on both. "Pinning" an opponent inside their 20 when your heels were on their 40 and 45 to start with isn't overally impressive. Yes, he did just fine, but I wouldn't say he did good or great. Playoff caliber teams would be furious about little things like that. ST cause the biggest swings in yardage by a long shot, so they should be taken a lot more seriously IMO. 

40 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

After the concern of our defensive line coming into the first game - how did they do - speaking to those who see those things 

Drake got a lot more push up the middle than I'd like to see. It didn't amount to much for them, but I'm concerned about what it will mean in games against scholarship teams. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He had a very short field to work with on both. "Pinning" an opponent inside their 20 when your heels were on their 40 and 45 to start with isn't overally impressive. Yes, he did just fine, but I wouldn't say he did good or great. Playoff caliber teams would be furious about little things like that. ST cause the biggest swings in yardage by a long shot, so they should be taken a lot more seriously IMO. 

No coach, playoff or otherwise,  is going to be furious for punts inside the 20.  I’m not sure who  isn’t serious about special teams and punting. We had decent coverage, no blocks and no long returns. Now we want to improve on that. If a coach is furious” with a young punter  for punts inside the 20 instead of the 10 or 5, I would be more concerned with the coaches ability to teach rather than the punter. The kid did just fine. 

• Like 1