SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach?

UND Fan

Has anyone heard anything about the assistants? I feel especially bad for Tiffin. He moved here roughly around semester break, so that's not a long tenure with UND before having to worry about your job. The new coach might keep some/all of the staff, but I suspect he/she will want to have the freedom to bring in their own staff if they want.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mia is gone. Not for volleyball reasons, but because she's graduated and may be be looking for what's next in life. I thought I heard she was ready to go but was asked to stay by the coach. It true, there will likely be no such loyalties to the next coach. Unless she's the next coach. :-) 

I've met Lamppa. He had a nice run at USD, then went to Washington State with the then coach from SDSU (Palieo, or something like that). That guy didn't last long in Pullman, and it looks like he's been doing the assistant routine waiting for his next change. Got to say hi when ISU was in town. Nice enough guy, would likely do well in the community.

That's not to say Tiffin wouldn't also do well, I just have no personal knowledge about him. 

I wish we 

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Thought we would have better applicants 

Let's be honest, we're North Dakota. It's not a bad job, but someone who thinks they have a realistic shot at a P5 school isn't going to apply here. Someone who wants a stop to show that they should get a chance at a P5 school will apply here. We need to be realistic. And I don't know why you seem to think the current applicants won't be good. What would we have said about Hardee or Pryor before they ended up here? To us, they were no-ones until they had a nice runs here. Why can't Lamppa or Tiffin be the next guy you never heard of until now who did well here? And if either Pryor or Hardee had been here longer, it's likely they would have been looking for what's next. Unless you get someone seriously committed to the area, we're a place for people looking for a landing on the way down or for people looking to move up. 

A new-ish AD and 3 head coach openings at the same time might have had an influence on potential applicants. You may or may not think that some/most of this was for the best, but the rest of the world might not see anything other than lots of turnover in the athletic department.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:46 PM, undVBfan said:

I've met Lamppa. He had a nice run at USD, then went to Washington State with the then coach from SDSU (Palieo, or something like that). That guy didn't last long in Pullman, and it looks like he's been doing the assistant routine waiting for his next change. Got to say hi when ISU was in town. Nice enough guy, would likely do well in the community.

That's not to say Tiffin wouldn't also do well, I just have no personal knowledge about him. 

Lamppa should know Iowa, Nebraska and Minnie well and those are important areas for UND.  Tiffin seems to have gotten good recruits from Illinois, but that is semi-questionable.

North Dakota is not producing Dooley’s on a yearly basis.  More like once in a generation and that type talent would often be nabbed by Creighton or P5’s.

9 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

That's kind of creepy that you know what plates he had...

For The entire time when he was head coach, I had season tickets and walked right by the parking spot reserved for the head volleyball coach on my way into the Betty. It wasn’t that hard to keep track of. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Another guy from Texas....seriously.  Must have not gotten the memo from Pryor that it snow 8-9 months in GF.

He's actually a Winnipeg native...

The Winnipeg, Manitoba native cut his coaching teeth in the club ranks and spent 14 seasons coaching various age groups, beginning in 2004 as the Head Coach of the Baylor Men's and Women's Club Volleyball teams. In 2013 Tiffin was named the National Collegiate Volleyball Federation (NCVF) National Coach of the Year.

I feel good about the selection. I think we would have been good either way, but I really like the choice. Recruiting is going to be key, as in all college sports. It sounds like he has that background to do well. I think recruiting is less about having "connections" and "knowing the region" and more about the person being able to sell his vision, and by association, the program to perspective student-athletes. Everyone needs connections, but the coach still has to seal the deal. 

I also like the choice because he gave up a head coaching position to come here in December to be an assistant. To be let go by the new head coach now would have been painful. That is not a good enough reason to hire him, but hopefully any karma from hiring him will a nice bonus. :) I also like that's he's keeping the current staff, apparently minus Mia, but I've speculated she was done either way. Whether they stay long or not is another story (see Dan Brown), but at least they have the chance to make it work.

• Upvote 1

Tiffin should have Manitoba covered, as vb recruits from there can be quite strong, whereas bb recruits generally don't get competition there.

One of the reasons that A&M came for a UND tourney was a tall Manitoba gal.  That was the closest she ever got at playing near her Manitoba home.