SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach?

UND Fan

From what I understand, there is nothing that should be read into Coach Pryor' resignation other than what has been published.  He wanted more family time - family time back in Texas.  I would guess the last couple of ND winters made the decision easier!

I would think the position should be attractive to some talented coaches.  The program has been successful, we have an excellent facility for VB and attendance has been good.  

I hope they take a close look at Jamie Magalei (Skadeland).  Originally from Williston, she was a very good player at UND from 2001-4.  She has been at Colorado School of Mines for 11 years.  She has a 256-87 record with a bunch of conference titles and 10 straight years making the NCAA playoffs. 

1 minute ago, UND Fan said:

From what I understand, there is nothing that should be read into Coach Pryor' resignation other than what has been published.  He wanted more family time - family time back in Texas.  I would guess the last couple of ND winters made the decision easier!

I would think the position should be attractive to some talented coaches.  The program has been successful, we have an excellent facility for VB and attendance has been good.  

I hope they take a close look at Jamie Magalei (Skadeland).  Originally from Williston, she was a very good player at UND from 2001-4.  She has been at Colorado School of Mines for 11 years.  She has a 256-87 record with a bunch of conference titles and 10 straight years making the NCAA playoffs. 

Do they potentially turn to Joki to run the show?

13 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Sounds like two terrible winters and the family was ready to go home. 

He wasn’t shy about bashing the weather.  He also never took his Texas plates off his Bronco, so his long term commitment was never there. 

12 hours ago, Dustin said:

He wasn’t shy about bashing the weather.  He also never took his Texas plates off his Bronco, so his long term commitment was never there. 

If it snows in GF late next week, which is forecasted, that will be 8 straight months with some snow in GF. That's frickin ridiculous. We don't get a spring very often anymore to boot. Who can blame him and his family for not wanting to deal with this weather??? I'm a native and still live in ND and I'm considering getting out of the s***! Since January 1 I'd bet at least 2/3 of the days to date have been 10 degrees or more below average temps......paging John Wheeler. Might as well tune up the snowblower now so it's ready to go by October again.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If it snows in GF late next week, which is forecasted, that will be 8 straight months with some snow in GF. That's frickin ridiculous. We don't get a spring very often anymore to boot. Who can blame him and his family for not wanting to deal with this weather??? I'm a native and still live in ND and I'm considering getting out of the s***! Since January 1 I'd bet at least 2/3 of the days to date have been 10 degrees or more below average temps......paging John Wheeler. Might as well tune up the snowblower now so it's ready to go by October again.

Hang on, with this Global Warming thing the tides are about to turn.  Soon Pryor will be begging to move back because they will be roasting in Texas while we are playing golf in perfect temperatures in January! :D

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

It snowed late last September in GF. Been 8 straight months with snow....could be 9 soon.

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, Vegas_Sioux said:

Sounds like two terrible winters and the family was ready to go home. 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:03 PM, Dustin said:

I don't think these are fair statements. I don't know any of the coaches *really well*, but I've been around this sport long enough, and have had pretty good contact with another coach to see the time/travel commitment it takes at the D1 level. With a couple of young kids at home I can't blame him for wanting to step back from the travel schedule. Travel for conference and recruiting at a D3 school, especially in an urban area, has to be significantly less. If it was a move to a D1 school or anywhere other than Texas I think I would have a different opinion, but I can't blame a guy for wanting to spend less time away from home.

And about the Bronco, I think he was just waiting until he could get the classic plates, or whatever they call the special plates for older cars.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, Smoggy said:

Since I'm sure the old "get this thread on topic" will be brought up; I've been meaning to write this about our new coach and the question from early in the thread. 

I don't think Joki is the answer.  At least until we've seen what we get for applicants.  I'd like to think UND is a stepping stone school for a big time program's assistant or a jump up for an experienced coach that has been winning and needs to take the next step.

Since I was the one that asked, do you think she isn't ready, not quite head coach material, etc?

I have a dream candidate in mind but I don't think he would leave C-SP. 

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Since I was the one that asked, do you think she isn't ready, not quite head coach material, etc?

I have a dream candidate in mind but I don't think he would leave C-SP. 

Nothing against her and maybe she is the right candidate.  I just want to see what we could get for applicants.

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Fair enough. I'll be interested to see who does apply. 

USD didn’t do too bad with its hire.  UNO took an NAIA coach from Hastings who had great success at that level, and suspect that UNO will become a power program, in the Summit as the talent base in Nebraska and Iowa is so rich.

Volleyball coaches don’t have the financial riches awaiting them, even at most P5 programs, so its much more of a pot pouri of choices.

Yes I heard him on different interviews especially when he wasn't on local or media covering UND and he was bashing the weather and how far north Grand Forks was and my thoughts at time was why would you be so negative about location of school your trying to recruit athletes to. Yes we have harsh winters compared to other parts of the country but we also have beautiful summers and falls compared to a lot of rest of the country. The other thing is we do have winter activities that a lot of people like to take advantage of. I also thought he had critical year coming up in that he had to show that he could win with his recruits and be contender in the Summit. He was given program from previous coach ready to win with lots of talent and developed to win in the Big Sky conference. That being said UND needs coach again that can recruit top talent locally and from our recruiting region. I believe if we get right individual they could build UND into division I mid major program that could contend with top division I schools in the future. We have facility that provides for great atmosphere for volleyball and we built following to make UND exciting place to come and play Volleyball. We need the right person lead and build top quality program here. This is the time to build a program when right person can be compensated here equally to that of large division I programs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 6:17 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The coaching requirement don’t include a previous stay at UND or the Red River Valley.

So the men’s bb and the Vb jobs aren’t written identically, which is refreshing.

Our successful volleyball era is pretty short, only about 10 years, so having deep rooted connections like that would be pretty unlikely.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That was a week ago, so something should come out any day?

You would think.  It'd be a mistake to announce the basketball coach decision ahead of (or on the same day), because that would overshadow the VB decision.