SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach?

UND Fan

1 hour ago, undVBfan said:

I feel good about the selection. I think we would have been good either way, but I really like the choice. Recruiting is going to be key, as in all college sports. It sounds like he has that background to do well. I think recruiting is less about having "connections" and "knowing the region" and more about the person being able to sell his vision, and by association, the program to perspective student-athletes. Everyone needs connections, but the coach still has to seal the deal. 

I also like the choice because he gave up a head coaching position to come here in December to be an assistant. To be let go by the new head coach now would have been painful. That is not a good enough reason to hire him, but hopefully any karma from hiring him will a nice bonus. :) I also like that's he's keeping the current staff, apparently minus Mia, but I've speculated she was done either way. Whether they stay long or not is another story (see Dan Brown), but at least they have the chance to make it work.

Pryor must have known he was leaving well before Tiffin was hired.  Tiffin was Pryor's heir apparent that could take the winters.

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Pryor must have known he was leaving well before Tiffin was hired.  Tiffin was Pryor's heir apparent that could take the winters.

I had this very same thought yesterday.  I imagine the conversation when Pryor hired Tiffin went something like this:  "Jeremiah, I've got a good thing going up here in North Dakota, but I can't take the winters.  Since you're from the great white north, I want to bring you on as assistant, and then I'm gonna look for opportunities in Texas, resign at UND, and you should have a good shot at the HC job."

On 5/29/2019 at 4:30 PM, Dustin said:

So at least the weather won't be a surprise.  Hopefully we can tap into some Canadian recruiting talent, too!

I'm glad more sports are looking at the Winnipeg pipeline. The city has a population of 750,00 and as shown in other sports has some fantastic athletes. Canadian collegiate sports is certainly no where near NCAA D1 level so plenty of opportunity to grab some great talent that can play close to home and use to the region's environment.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, northernraider said:

I'm glad more sports are looking at the Winnipeg pipeline. The city has a population of 750,00 and as shown in other sports has some fantastic athletes. Canadian collegiate sports is certainly no where near NCAA D1 level so plenty of opportunity to grab some great talent that can play close to home and use to the region's environment.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. All of the Canadian prairie region (not just Winnipeg, but all of Manitoba and Saskatchewan) should be recruiting territory for all sports, just like it had been for hockey. 

• Upvote 2

I agree that Canada has been largely untapped, except maybe for the most elite players. And given the financial benefits of playing in the US (full ride and maybe COA, does volleyball offer COA?) vs. Canada (I believe tuition only, and likely limited $$$ at that) you would think we would be more successful. 

• 4 weeks later...