SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Duluth -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

1 hour ago, Irish said:

By my quick count there are 12 Juniors in the top 50 scorers in the nation and 24 in the top 100 - none of them ours.  I don't see a Sioux in the top 100 from any class.  None.  This is unbelievable. 

I should have been clearer, not "junior" class in the college spectrum, but the entire age group, MJ, NHL, etc.   Just seems to me a mix of seasoned players, up & comer players, under the radar players, combined with a blue chipper or two are the base recipe.  Did the group that had Jost as "our" blue chippa have less overall talent?  Did more from that age group opt for non college?  Personally I think our player development should be most under the microscope, followed by this "culture" that makes a team have astounding swings in effort, discipline, and passion.   IMHO, we need the next Cary Eades, but will the current and future generations be molded as well as coach Eades was able?   

Another thought is this. are we attracting players that see the path to the NHL as 3rd line defensively responsible grinder?  Do the highly creative offensive magicians see UND as a bit stifling for their style?  It is going to be a long off season...

2 hours ago, fsioux said:

Adams is getting better and hopefully with another year of getting stronger can breakout.  Like the Freshmen group of Senden, Weatherby, Hain, Keane, JBD, JT and Scheel.

Agreed. I really like our current freshman group. Some of those players will be excellent college players during SO/JR year, and JBD and Scheel are already there. Senden is a future captain. Our incoming group looks awesome on paper. 

I’m already looking forward to next years team and seeing what they can do. We’ll see if this years team can pull off a miracle. 

• Like 1

Adams is going to be s player if they find the right players to go with him. Not sure if our coaching staff gets what it takes to be competitive, playing rope a dope will not get it done, score two and sit on a lead. If Berry can’t adapt time to move on, no reason St. Cloud , Denver or Duluth should be better then us , with our facilities, resources and most of all “culture”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

1 hour ago, Old Fella said:

Was at last nigts game.

Sandilan was the winner.  He dictated the tempo of the game.

Suggessufully slowed the game down.

Face offs & line changes were the prime example.

We were out couched.

If that game was slowed down, it was to our benefit, not UMD's. 

5 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Adams is going to be s player if they find the right players to go with him. Not sure if our coaching staff gets what it takes to be competitive, playing rope a dope will not get it done, score two and sit on a lead. If Berry can’t adapt time to move on, no reason St. Cloud , Denver or Duluth should be better then us , with our facilities, resources and most of all “culture”

Well, St Cloud and Duluth both have multiple players on their roster with World Junior medals...We haven't had a guy make a US or Canadian team since Jost.  

We just don't have the horses.  Yes, we have the best stable, yes, we have a pedigreed tradition, just not the horses this year.  

All due respect to JBD...he is a thoroughbred (to keep the analogy going) trouble is he's just one, and on the backend there's only so much offense he can create.  

• Upvote 1

Coaches create a game plan and set expectations. 

Team leaders ensure that the team is ready to go, to meet expectations, and execute the plan.

Being ready to go every night, every shift, not having ups and downs, is a maturity issue. 

Historically we've been blessed with some self-starters and some folks that have that and the natural ability plus the ability to make those around them better. (See Parise, Toews). 

What I don't see right now is that guy in the upper classes.

I don't see that inspiring leader.

I see a couple self-motivated, self-starter folks, but nothing that stands out as "so follow me" natural leadership. 

I see flashes of natural leadership in 19 because he's always there (consistent maturity), but talent-wise he'll never be confused for a Parise or Toews. 

But, right now, I'd take a Mario Lamoureux, Rylan Kaip, Mike Prpich, Peter Armbrust type leader.

I really like Colton Poolman's game and play, but he's not that leader, I don't see that spark (whatever it is). I don't see it in the others with letters either. 

Frankly, I don't see it in any of the upper classes. I didn't see it last year either (Pogo et al). 

But I do see a glimmer of something in 19. 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Coaches create a game plan and set expectations. 

Team leaders ensure that the team is ready to go, to meet expectations, and execute the plan.

Being ready to go every night, every shift, not having ups and downs, is a maturity issue. 

Historically we've been blessed with some self-starters and some folks that have that and the natural ability plus the ability to make those around them better. (See Parise, Toews). 

What I don't see right now is that guy in the upper classes.

I don't see that inspiring leader.

I see a couple self-motivated, self-starter folks, but nothing that stands out as "so follow me" natural leadership. 

I see flashes of natural leadership in 19 because he's always there (consistent maturity), but talent-wise he'll never be confused for a Parise or Toews. 

But, right now, I'd take a Mario Lamoureux, Rylan Kaip, Mike Prpich, Peter Armbrust type leader.

I really like Colton Poolman's game and play, but he's not that leader, I don't see that spark (whatever it is). I don't see it in the others with letters either. 

Frankly, I don't see it in any of the upper classes. I didn't see it last year either (Pogo et al). 

But I do see a glimmer of something in 19. 

I guess I don't wholly agree with the premise that Colton isn't a natural leader, but I certainly agree that this team hasn't gone to that next level with him at the helm. Maybe next year?

Senden is so impressive. I think he gets an A next season. 

Saturday was annoying because we immediately started to go to the box and kept going to the box. This took us away from 5 on 5 grinding possession play that we outwork most teams with (and do so to Duluth on Friday). We could never build momentum because of stupid penalties. Ugh.

We had ridiculous skill players upfront for many years:  Parise, Stafford, Zajac, Toews, Oshie, Nelson, Schmaltz, Boeser...you're talking about some of the best 200-300 offensive players in the world.  Throw in Frattin, Malone, Vandevelde, Jost, Grimaldi, Knight, Rowney, Bochenski, Jewels, Murray, Porter...guys that fall just outside that high bar, but still play(ed) in the NHL.  Then throw in high-end college players that just couldn't/can't get over that hump: Kristo, Duncan, Trupp,  Gregoire...

We haven't gotten those kinda guys lately...meaning since Jost committed.

I'm curious if we're losing that ultra high-end to Major Junior more these days...I might have to do some research...see if it's pervasive for forwards across NCAA

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

We had ridiculous skill players upfront for many years:  Parise, Stafford, Zajac, Toews, Oshie, Nelson, Schmaltz, Boeser...you're talking about some of the best 200-300 offensive players in the world.  Throw in Frattin, Malone, Vandevelde, Jost, Grimaldi, Knight, Rowney, Bochenski, Jewels, Murray, Porter...guys that fall just outside that high bar, but still play(ed) in the NHL.  Then throw in high-end college players that just couldn't/can't get over that hump: Kristo, Duncan, Trupp,  Gregoire...

We haven't gotten those kinda guys lately...meaning since Jost committed.

I'm curious if we're losing that ultra high-end to Major Junior more these days...I might have to do some research...see if it's pervasive for forwards across NCAA

We're talking just a couple years, though. We've missed, no doubt, but it doesn't feel like it's forever. Our current pipeline has those types of names, IMO.

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

He hasn't called a college hockey game since the SCSU vs. UND series. 

So the league knows he screwed up,  but still doesn't suspend schuldt for that bad hit. Not impressed with how this was handled from Fenton down.

• Upvote 2