SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSUCKS Dump Thread

geaux_sioux

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If any of you would read the actual story you’d see how foolish your rhetoric is this morning. 

He said it was a standard preworkout supplement and he tested positive for a stimulant. There are categories of drugs for a reason people, this isn’t rocket science. You’d think the medical professionals on this board would be speaking up on this.

For those who are stating that NDSU has had players in the past perform bigger than their size insinuating they got some sort of anabolic affect from this “preworkout” drink, simply don’t understand physiology.

Stimulants aren’t anabolic, in fact, long term use can be catabolic.

https://drugabuse.com/stimulants/effects-use/

best source I could find real quick.

NDSU has opened itself up to criticism on this and I’d like questions to be asked and investigated as to the specific details.

But, keep it to the facts people, you guys are like CNN right now with your logic leaps.

Facts are that NDSU’s strength coach and staff will have players that need to add weight and strength lift twice per day in the summer.  Also certain positions do this.  You don’t think an illegal pre-workout would benefit these players during this time?   It’s also an advantageous time for the staff to distribute these to players to maximize these workouts and “develop” the players.  Weird how NDSU claims to do it better than anyone. 

• Upvote 1

Forgive me, but I'm going back to this one more time: 

NDSU also does its own random internal testing with the football program throughout the season, using the same company — Drug Free Sport International — the NCAA uses in its testing. 

Is this common at the FCS level? It can't be cheap. 

And why do they self-test?

To me you test for things you know might happen.

My house has smoke detectors; they test the for smoke and let me know. (Hold your comments on my cooking.) My house has a carbon monoxide detector. Why? Because I know my house can produce CO (furnace, fireplace) and I want to know before it does harm. I test for things that might happen. 

I don't have a U-235 detector (Geiger counter) in my house. There'll never be U-235 in my house as it's illegal for a private citizen to possess; it's never going to be there. Why would I test for it. 

So if NDSU knows to follow the rules, why do they test for things that by policy (theirs and NCAA), won't be there? 

The only other reason you test for something? The ugly answer is you know your are doing something and need to make sure you are staying undetectable. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, homer said:

Facts are that NDSU’s strength coach and staff will have players that need to add weight and strength lift twice per day in the summer.  Also certain positions do this.  You don’t think an illegal pre-workout would benefit these players during this time?   It’s also an advantageous time for the staff to distribute these to players to maximize these workouts and “develop” the players.  Weird how NDSU claims to do it better than anyone. 

I’m not sure what your lifting background is, but anyone who spends time in a gym will tell you that the vast majority of men who are serious about their workouts take some sort of preworkout supplement.

I can guarantee you, if you went to the UND weight room this morning and asked the team how many people in this room take something before their workout to get them going, the majority of hands would go up. A lot of guys use coffee to be safe, but others use supplements. Go to any GNC and ask to see their preworkout supplements, they are everywhere. The mistake that this kid made, was not being absolutely sure that he could take this particular preworkout supplement and whichever person associated with the team that gave him the impression, implicitly or explicitly that it was safe, should be addressed and handled appropriately.

I’m not trying to downplay what happened here, just merely trying to put it in the proper perspective since many here are equating taking a preworkout to taking steroids or HGH. Completely different universes.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

I’m not sure what your lifting background is, but anyone who spends time in a gym will tell you that the vast majority of men who are serious about their workouts take some sort of preworkout supplement.

I can guarantee you, if you went to the UND weight room this morning and asked the team how many people in this room take something before their workout to get them going, the majority of hands would go up. A lot of guys use coffee to be safe, but others use supplements. Go to any GNC and ask to see their preworkout supplements, they are everywhere. The mistake that this kid made, was not being absolutely sure that he could take this particular preworkout supplement and whichever person associated with the team that gave him the impression, implicitly or explicitly that it was safe, should be addressed and handled appropriately.

I’m not trying to downplay what happened here, just merely trying to put it in the proper perspective since many here are equating taking a preworkout to taking steroids or HGH. Completely different universes.

This is one hundred percent true. I will be completely honest here. I took a preworkout all through college, before every workout, every game, etc etc. Lucky for me, I didn't get caught if what I was on was illegal. Hell every once in a while I still buy them today because they really do make working out that much easier. I feel bad for Brock because I'm sure he wasn't alone, but NDSU does need to be held responsible in some respect.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Agree with this. It just seems weird to me that NDSU never really seemed to have Brock's back. 

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The "everybody does it" defense? 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Read my entire post.

Nuance sir, as usual it’s lost on many here.

OK. Here's another great portion.

32 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not to the NCAA. 

The NCAA is black and white. 

The NCAA is not nuanced when it comes to this topic. 

28 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Are all pre workout supplements banned or just the ones distributed by NDSU staff to its athletes?

Just now, jdub27 said:

If true, what is going on that a motivational speaker is allowed to recommend and supply supplements to players? Holy hell that is a lack of control.

Lack of institutional control?

I've heard that phrase used somewhere ... hmmm ...