SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSUCKS Dump Thread

geaux_sioux

15 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think it’s prudent among intelligent people to make distinctions that go slightly further than the NCAA’s black and white rules when we look at individual cases.

In this context and conversation, no, it's not. This is the NCAA's sandbox. Their black/white rules are all that matter. 

Want to have the other chat?
Our Community forum is available to talk about the community impacts.
Or if you want to argue against the punitive NCAA black/white rules? There's a forum for that also. Free free there as well. 

But here, this conversation is framed in the NCAA rules domain. 

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Independent contractors still work for the University. 

The university hired, and paid, Newman.

The "staff/coach" part I'll give ya.

I’m not a lawyer. Someone else might be able to speak to the technicalities of who would be liable if indeed BN did supply the supplement.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

In this context and conversation, no, it's not. This is the NCAA's sandbox. Their black/white rules are all that matter. 

Want to have the other chat?
Our Community forum is available to talk about the community impacts.
Or if you want to argue against the punitive NCAA black/white rules? There's a forum for that also. Free free there as well. 

But here, this conversation is framed in the NCAA rules domain. 

You’re the only one who specifically framed it that way. 

Others are having a much more robust conversation surrounding the topic.

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think it’s more likely they are playing the political speech game, which I hate, but technically what the AD said is true. BN isn’t a coach or on staff at NDSU.

I’m not defending that language, but legally that technically protects the University, which is the AD’s job.

Is that why they said this Newman fellow is "reimbursed" but stopped short of saying they are on the payroll? 

But if Newman is an independent contractor, isn't he being compensated by NDSU (but not officially on staff and payroll). Or is he volunteering. 

14 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think it’s more likely they are playing the political speech game, which I hate, but technically what the AD said is true. BN isn’t a coach or on staff at NDSU.

I’m not defending that language, but legally that technically protects the University, which is the AD’s job.

Here we agree. I suspect intentional weasel-wordage as well. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Is that why they said this Newman fellow is "reimbursed" but stopped short of saying they are on the payroll? 

But if Newman is an independent contractor, isn't he being compensated by NDSU (but not officially on staff and payroll). Or is he volunteering. 

I would agree, the word reimbursed was chosen very carefully I would wager. As was the rest of his statement.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It’s the rules so I guess they all have to play by them, but not making a distinction between different substances is just laziness by the NCAA. Not a bit surprising I suppose.

Can we agree that the NCAA's line is doing something intentionally that gives an unfair advantage, be it stimulant or steroid? 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can we agree that the NCAA's line is doing something intentionally that gives an unfair advantage, be it stimulant or steroid? 

I agree, but would take away the word intentional as they also make no distinction there.

Just now, gundy1124 said:

"Ben’s proven tools and methods from YOUR Mental Toughness Playbook"

Instant Classic.  Ironically, Alabama hires this slime-ball, too.  Could have guessed that one.

I don’t know BN nor do I care if he goes down in this deal if that’s the outcome.

But, I think it’s important to note that it’s very possible and likely that this wasn’t done intentionally. Either way it’s extremely irresponsible on his part if true, but it’s possible he isn’t exactly the devil either.

As we’ve discussed extensively, the supplement industry is the Wild West. If I was in his position, I would never take on the liability associated with giving a player anything at all. 

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I don’t know BN nor do I care if he goes down in this deal if that’s the outcome.

But, I think it’s important to note that it’s very possible and likely that this wasn’t done intentionally. Either way it’s extremely irresponsible on his part if true, but it’s possible he isn’t exactly the devil either.

As we’ve discussed extensively, the supplement industry is the Wild West. If I was in his position, I would never take on the liability associated with giving a player anything at all. 

That should make Robbins feel better that it wasn’t done intentionally.  

36 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Yup... this is NOT someone who will just go back to a different, distant state and live his life.

Sad for the kid.... a lot of tarnish on all those trophies at this point....

Go get’em Mama Bear... this was pure wrong and the cover up made it worse

Tarnish on all our trophies because of 1 positive test? Good grief. Get a life.

3 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

Tarnish on all our trophies because of 1 positive test? Good grief. Get a life.

Get a life? You are the one that spends your day on an opposing teams fan blog just to post comments like the one above. You sir are a waste of space. Why don't you call Ben Newman and have him give you one of his famous talks, pound a pre workout and hit the gym together.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Obviously, the substance wasn't suppose to be detected.  I think Newman does have some explaining to do, which he does well with his proven tools and methods from YOUR Mental Toughness Playbook.  There is another twist coming on how Newman was paid, can't wait on how this is explained!!

26 minutes ago, Bubbasburner said:

If it's been going on for years, why only 1 positive test?

NDSU says they test their own on their own.
Could they be "tuning", making sure they stay under detectable levels during specific periods of time?