SiouxSports.com Forum

State of UND athletics 2019-forward

NoDak Fan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Last year was rock bottom.

This year... could it be the year of the comeback?

I wish it was but in in retrospect, looking at your comment (3 months ago), it certainly isn’t.  It’s still getting worse IMO. Other than football being competitive (aim high, had another one and done playoff appearance) and same for women’s hoops (goal is to finish 3rd or 4th in conference play, the program still lags way behind the two SD teams), sports at UND is in shambles.  The crown jewel, hockey, under Berry’s tenure has now returned to the early 90s and early/mid 70s.  Volleyball started on the upswing following another disastrous season but had a lengthy losing streak to finish out the season), while soccer and softball both continued to sit at or near the bottom in conference play. Sigh, how long ago the 2016-17 (?) sports season seems now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The transition hasn’t been smooth

years ago I sent an email to Bunning and asked him why he missed the deadline to send in the paper work to go D1.

he said he wasn’t aware of the deadline and asked how I knew about it.  I told him it’s called research

the next year the papers were filed.

‘to me it’s been a !@#$ show ever since. .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a banner year for UND sports.  Zero Conference titles.  Only two teams with a winning conference record (women’s basketball and football).  Zero teams finished ahead of NDSU or SDSU in all the sports…that one is tough to swallow and has to be addressed and fixed asap!C7367F03-0BC3-415F-89AF-CD0E67A5F29C.thumb.jpeg.e421d579a2c73b6ca782c73b1ed9e96e.jpeg6F23BAB5-F611-4A20-A1C3-B2FF307AAC8A.thumb.jpeg.d09ddd8e01d5d804b7e69a2660e01e9f.jpeg

10 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Not a banner year for UND sports.  Zero Conference titles.  Only two teams with a winning conference record (women’s basketball and football).  Zero teams finished ahead of NDSU or SDSU in all the sports…that one is tough to swallow and has to be addressed and fixed asap!C7367F03-0BC3-415F-89AF-CD0E67A5F29C.thumb.jpeg.e421d579a2c73b6ca782c73b1ed9e96e.jpeg6F23BAB5-F611-4A20-A1C3-B2FF307AAC8A.thumb.jpeg.d09ddd8e01d5d804b7e69a2660e01e9f.jpeg

Yes, however considering many of these programs were smoking craters within the last two year, there is hope that things are back on the upswing for some of them.  Need to see that progress continue to be made next year and rise back up in the standings.

I am hopeful. 

The athletics department is going to need to address not each sport individually, but they also need to address funding to maintain quality coaches and same time need to speed up their improvement in facilities plan. The athletic department needs improvement on communications to promote more positive reason athletes should come to university as well as things Grand Forks community offers to athletes. They also need to get involved greater Grand Forks community selling reasons they should come to games. For example, the basketball teams offer promotions to area schools to bring elementary students to the game not only good for athletic department but also for the school to get future students wanting to come to UND. I also think they need to work on getting the student body out to the games like food promotion and maybe some kind of participation raffle or something fun to draw students out.  I know it sounds corny but professional sports do this to help market their teams. The further they develop their brand easier it becomes to market and raise money for the whole department. But they also need to put quality teams that can compete for conference championships and start winning rivalry games on regular basis. We need to have Tom Clifford attitude on how were going to beat our competition and i believe he did that nearly every day he was in charge of university, and it showed on everything in his tenure as president.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, FSSD said:

Not all is lost thou.  We still have tennis.  Plus, all the kids got participation trophies.  So, it is all good.

image.png.8199450b0b7c3934e4d233820ccba563.png

Probably a good thing SDSU and NDSU don’t play Tennis.

in another note I see our Track and Field teams are slotted right behind the usual…

image.png.60633e9ffa4e97bae5730cb34037d474.png

image.png.4a7c6bfd724b8b11962dbd2719756d6b.png