SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 FB Recruiting

UNDBIZ

48 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Gotta wonder if those have cooled down a bit. He was committed to Minnesota. 

Committed to the Gophers this summer and the Gophers parted ways with him in I think the beginning of November. Not sure what the exact reason was but I believe a part of it was I they wanted him as a mid year guy and he needed to get certain things done by certain points and he didn't and he decided he wanted to come in June. Kid looked real athletic in his films definitely a little on the smaller side though and seemed to perform well at a few camps but hard to know how he will translate to a different level of competition.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Weber St QB Jake Constantine has entered the transfer portal.

https://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8640 

Is he a grad transfer? And only 1 year of eligibility? If so I’d definitely like to see UND take a shot at him. He has certainly played well in the Alerus and has FCS success. Give the young guys a year to develop a bit.

Why would he do lateral transfer?  Nothing in it for him. Unless there is a surprise transfer I think we go with whomever comes out of spring training as #1. No idea who that will be. Schuster was Ok in his stint last fall.  Nothing there to anoint him as the answer but he should be #1 going into spring drills. Should be interesting. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Why would he do lateral transfer?  Nothing in it for him. Unless there is a surprise transfer I think we go with whomever comes out of spring training as #1. No idea who that will be. Schuster was Ok in his stint last fall.  Nothing there to anoint him as the answer but he should be #1 going into spring drills. Should be interesting. 

The plan is to try and find an older transfer after spring ball.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Because he isn't that good.  Weber probably wanted him to transfer as they got better, young talent behind him

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Depends on his motives; every situation is different.

For example, Nate Ketteringham transferred to UND from a fellow Big Sky Conference school in Sacramento State. UND was winning at the time whereas Sac State certainly wasn’t and UND has better facilities (which is amazing to say considering UND’s current locker room/meeting room situation). 

Compared to Weber State, UND is comparable facility wise but Weber has been far more successful of late. Former Weber QB Constantine isn’t transferring up to FBS and he isn’t transferring due to a lack of winning; everything else is mere speculation. Perhaps he simply wants a chance to start his senior season? I find this most likely, and UND may have the perfect situation for such as they have 3 freshmen QBs and no one else on roster currently.

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/weber-state-football-qb-jake-constantine-transferring-from-wildcats/article_9e6e63b6-64f6-50a8-bed3-5c8def8be1b0.html

Danny Freund will have to make a decision regarding his own guys. He may prefer to wait until after spring ball to assess and see where his position group is at. It is great all 3 Fr. QBs will be available for spring ball 2020. 

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The plan is to try and find an older transfer after spring ball.

Tough spot to come in to, especially if off line isn’t greatly improved. I’m not a big fan if it’s a guy with only one year unless they are All-Conf (or better) caliber. If one of the freshmen is as good as some think I would rather go with them and maintain the relationships and culture we should be able to establish in spring ball and hopefully build on over the summer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

We found out why Kett was available as a transfer too.    I'll pass on this guy.

Judging two seperarwte people and situations the same way would be pretty ignorant. Maybe he just want to start his grad work somewhere else where he can play football. Who knows?

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Judging two seperarwte people and situations the same way would be pretty ignorant. Maybe he just want to start his grad work somewhere else where he can play football. Who knows?

I just feel we have better QB's on the team right now.   I've never been a fan of transfers, I'd rather pick up the talent out of high school and develop it.   I will admit we aren't always doing that, but feel QB is one place we have the chance right now.

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Tough spot to come in to, especially if off line isn’t greatly improved. I’m not a big fan if it’s a guy with only one year unless they are All-Conf (or better) caliber. If one of the freshmen is as good as some think I would rather go with them and maintain the relationships and culture we should be able to establish in spring ball and hopefully build on over the summer. 

Ideally at least one of the young guys will prove you be ready and a transfer won’t be necessary.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ideally at least one of the young guys will prove you be ready and a transfer won’t be necessary.

Agreed, IDEALLY. But a transfer wouldn’t be horrible even from a mentor ship or compete standpoint. Maybe it isn’t even needed. I’m sure the coaches will know more as the semester rolls on.

• Upvote 1