SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I like Freund but the first question in my mind was it we had a guy on staff that we felt could be up the job all this time then why at some point in the last 4 years after one of our inept offensive performances didn't Bubba say "Hey Rudy, we're gonna change things up this week, maybe give things a  little different perspective and let Danny call the next game" I mean we had 20+ opportunities to try this in the last 4 years.

Exactly. Last season we had ample opportunity for Danny to have a test run,

This hire was predictable.  Whether one thinks it's a good, bad or indifferent hire petey nailed it above. IMO this hire and what petey laid out only reiterates to me Bubba doesn't get it........at all.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This hire was predictable.  Whether one thinks it's a good, bad or indifferent hire petey nailed it above. IMO this hire and what petey laid out only reiterates to me Bubba doesn't get it........at all.

And Oxbow won't be the only one feeling this way, but c'mon, this gives you anti-Bubba guys more ammo. You should be happy. It's Christmas for you guys.

Now you can hope he fails and tell the rest of us "I told you so."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I like Freund but the first question in my mind was it we had a guy on staff that we felt could be up the job all this time then why at some point in the last 4 years after one of our inept offensive performances didn't Bubba say "Hey Rudy, we're gonna change things up this week, maybe give things a  little different perspective and let Danny call the next game" I mean we had 20+ opportunities to try this in the last 4 years.

When is the last time any program has done this?  At this point you fire your OC. I don’t know I’ve heard your scenario above. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, shep said:

And Oxbow won't be the only one feeling this was, but c'mon, this gives you anti-Bubba guys more ammo. You should be happy. It's Christmas for you guys.

Now you can hope he fails and tell the rest of us "I told you so."

So wanting UND FB to be anything other than the general mess it's been for years is anti-Bubba? 

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

So wanting UND FB to be anything other than the general mess it's been for years is anti-Bubba? 

THIS.

We all want it to be more than this, but we aren't ready to say the ship has sailed on Bubba yet. Next year is the most critical year. I like the recruits within the past 12 months including the expected new guys. I'm still hopeful.

Just now, shep said:

THIS.

We all want it to be more than this, but we aren't ready to say the ship has sailed on Bubba yet. Next year is the most critical year. I like the recruits within the past 12 months including the expected new guys. I'm still hopeful.

I agree.......will be Bubba's 6th year. Missing the playoffs again and he has to go. 

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Big tell tale will be the NDSU game.  What a great environment for the guy to prove he knows what he is doing, or get blown out of the coordinator booth. 

Although the ndsu game provides a great opportunity to prove himself, a lot depends on the players on the field there, even more than normal IMO. Players will need to remain focused, tune out the crowd, and execute better than ever. 

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although the ndsu game provides a great opportunity to prove himself, a lot depends on the players on the field there, even more than normal IMO. Players will need to remain focused, tune out the crowd, and execute better than ever. 

Offense has A LOT of experience returning for 2019. Freund is familiar with that experience and should have new ideas on what to do with it. We’ll ultimately see if those ideas improve the UND offense or not. 

48 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Who were they going to get - in general - what level of coach was going to come to UND?  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This goes two ways:

1. Bubba says call the game my way and Danny has to limit what he calls because a punt is a good play, and there is no change from Rudy.

2. Bubba gives Danny open mic night with the offense and he legitimately proves whether or not he can handle it, but gets an honest opportunity. 

Big tell tale will be the NDSU game.  What a great environment for the guy to prove he knows what he is doing, or get blown out of the coordinator booth. 

Exactly, and the eye test will still be there as far as whether the play calling is progressive or same old, same old. Fans will know.

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Who were they going to get - in general - what level of coach was going to come to UND?  

So I'm to assume UND is nowhere on par with NDSU.......or SDSU on getting and retaining good coaches? I do remember a couple other good coaches that come to mind that applied when looking to replace Muss. I do see your point though.......if you are on staff take the opportunity and run with it. If you are not on staff but UND is an intriguing situation wait until UND clears house again throw your hat into the ring.

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offense has A LOT of experience returning for 2019. Freund is familiar with that experience and should have new ideas on what to do with it. We’ll ultimately see if those ideas improve the UND offense or not. 

We return a lot in the skill positions.  Would not surprise me if there is a different QB week 1.  Also wouldn't be surprised if a speedster WR is found in the juco ranks to stretch the defenses a little bit.

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We return a lot in the skill positions.  Would not surprise me if there is a different QB week 1.  Also wouldn't be surprised if a speedster WR is found in the juco ranks to stretch the defenses a little bit.

We better be looking for a WR or two who can legit stretch the field and isn't short.

• Upvote 2