SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS. wmu GAMEDAY THREAD (FRIDAY)

iluvdebbies

This pains me to say this as my first post but the problem with this loss is it is at home against a poor WMU team, and with the loss to Miami, it leaves no room for error the rest of the way in pairwise.  Plus the Sioux will need to sweep a couple of series from either Duluth, Denver, and St. Cloud to really get back into it via pairwise.  The pairwise is unforgiving with losses like these.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfaninminny said:

This pains me to say this as my first post but the problem with this loss is it is at home against a poor WMU team, and with the loss to Miami, it leaves no room for error the rest of the way in pairwise.  Plus the Sioux will need to sweep a couple of series from either Duluth, Denver, and St. Cloud to really get back into it via pairwise.  The pairwise is unforgiving with losses like these.  

What?! It’s November. There’s a lot of parity in college hockey these days in 2018. 

UND plays in the NCHC conference, the toughest conference in college hockey. A typical weekend NCHC split for a series is usually good enough. A sweep is an added bonus.  Don’t forget, the last 3 NCAA champions were all NCHC teams. *AND last years NCAA Champion, Duluth “barely” made it into the NCAA tournament. 

• Upvote 2

I hope you're right Siouxforever! What I mean is that if they lose a game to AA, Canisius, or UNO, the pairwise will not be kind  They would need to win 7 or 8 of the remaining 10 games against Duluth, St. Cloud, and Denver.  They have very little room for error against the 7 games left against CC and UMW (perhaps can afford to lose 1 of those 7).  The pairwise is unforgiving if you lose to a team as far down the pairwise as UMW, CC, AA, Canisius, or UNO, and the drop is tremendous.  The Sioux went from .5557 to .5135.  That is a huge drop down to 23 after staring the day at 13.  I have faith they will win tonight and watch how little the increase is.  I hate talking about this in November, but these games are what keeps team out of the tourney.  Season is not over, but there is very little room for error from here on in.  Brad is going to have to work some magic to get that puck in the net.  I think the boys come out flying, but they need to feel the urgency of the season at this point.

51 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

What?! It’s November. There’s a lot of parity in college hockey these days in 2018. 

UND plays in the NCHC conference, the toughest conference in college hockey. A typical weekend NCHC split for a series is usually good enough. A sweep is an added bonus.  Don’t forget, the last 3 NCAA champions were all NCHC teams. *AND last years NCAA Champion, Duluth “barley” made it into the NCAA tournament. 

Barley?  It sure looked like UND consumed large amounts of it prior to last night’s game...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Relax. Wow. 

WM scored a goal off a skate to beat UND. UNDs biggest competition is themselves. They couldn’t score. 

UND had some great scoring chances. Just didn’t bury the biscuit. Kudos to the WM goalie too. 

Moving forward. Learn from the experience, win tomorrow night. 

Better to lose and play well (despite not scoring) now than come March/April  

Offense will come. Too much talent on the UND squad. Be patient. Not worried, yet...

This is exactly what I kept telling myself as I gave someone I didn't even know my 4 West Regional tickets last year.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I was told that we would not complain about the coach for about a decade after winning a single national championship...I guess things have changed.

I was almost worried we weren’t going to get this post from you. Can you just pin this one at the top of the forum, would save you from typing the same thing over and over. Until the next UND loss where you post the same thing!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

I was almost worried we weren’t going to get this post from you. Can you just pin this one at the top of the forum, would save you from typing the same thing over and over. Until the next UND loss where you post the same thing!

Can we pin it along with the “BOO BERRY” and “Berry should be on notice” posts, too?

• Upvote 1

WMU (to steal a phrase from "The Greatest", Mr. Mohammed Ali) gave UND the rope-a-dope last night. 

12-4 shots after one; 28-8 after two. WMU just sat back and did enough to not get down. 

Then came the third; UND was frustrated and was out of punches; all WMU had to do is land one punch. 

And they did. 

8 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

UND plays in the NCHC conference, the toughest conference in college hockey. A typical weekend NCHC split for a series is usually good enough. A sweep is an added bonus.  Don’t forget, the last 3 NCAA champions were all NCHC teams. *AND last years NCAA Champion, Duluth “barely” made it into the NCAA tournament. 

Good point and WMU will beat other teams. Sweeps don’t happen very often in the NCHC.