SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Penn St. Nashville 2020-21

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

I get that the Vegas game was more than just the game for people.  Lots to do in Vegas.  But it was sold out 20 months prior to the game and it sold out quickly.  There are many people who missed out on the Vegas game who heard stories of all the UND fans around town, of the awesome pre party outside the arena, and the unbelievable atmosphere at the game.  There are many people who missed out on Vegas that are itching to be a part of a destination game.  Nashville isn't just a town with a couple country bars and the Opry anymore.  It's becoming a go to tourist destination of its own.  Through the allure of being able to play in a 17000+ NHL arena and being a part of packing that place out, I think you are going to get a lot of fans there.  I don't care who we are playing.  Doesn't matter.  The Nashville game will sell out. 

I agree.

How about we try filling our arena against a rival again.  The number of empty seats, especially in the student section is becoming concerning.  Personally, in conjunction  with giving away $1000 to fans with perfect attendance this year, they should start a full list of people with perfect attendance and give them priority for games like Nashville.  Don’t wait until the arena starts to resemble the half empty Mariucci.

• Upvote 2

On 11/2/2018 at 11:33 PM, tnt said:

How about we try filling our arena against a rival again.  The number of empty seats, especially in the student section is becoming concerning.  Personally, in conjunction  with giving away $1000 to fans with perfect attendance this year, they should start a full list of people with perfect attendance and give them priority for games like Nashville.  Don’t wait until the arena starts to resemble the half empty Mariucci.

Ralph Engelstad Library is kinda boring in relation to going to road venues where the Sioux fans are loud and proud.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Ralph Engelstad Library is kinda boring in relation to going to road venues where the Sioux fans are loud and proud.

I think Minneapolis/St Paul is a great destination for a  UND Hall of Fame Game.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I think Minneapolis/St Paul is a great destination for a  UND Hall of Fame Game.

Without sounding too overly negative, just about anywhere outside of REA is a great destination when packed with Sioux fans.  You try to cheer at REA once the game starts and you borderline get hushed for disturbing those snapbooking or discussing beet prices.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

St Paul doesn’t fit in the UND definition of a destination game. Unless the team sucks, we’ll already play there every year in the Frozen Faceoff. 

Las Vegas should be every four years with new places filling the gaps in-between.  Vegas is nice because the weather is great, tons to do, easy to get there from anywhere.  My idea would be something like this:

2016 - New York
2018 - Las Vegas
2020 - Nashville
2022 - Las Vegas
2024 - Seattle (I've heard very early rumors that they'd like to go here once the new arena is built)
2026 - Las Vegas
2028 - ?? (Washington DC?  Los Angeles?  Orlando?  Dallas?)

This way Vegas doesn't get overplayed, but we don't make it harder and harder to attend these events as new, prime destinations become scarcer to find.

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Screw Chicago...how about St Paul?

Wisconsin isn't drawing well in the TC, but a destination game in Chicago could? They have a lot of alumni there, our alumni seem to travel.

If were looking to fill pro-hockey size arenas, we need help from the visiting teams. I think this is part of the idea with Penn St.

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Wisconsin isn't drawing well in the TC, but a destination game in Chicago could? They have a lot of alumni there, our alumni seem to travel.

If were looking to fill pro-hockey size arenas, we need help from the visiting teams. I think this is part of the idea with Penn St.

You’ll find out how many Badger fans would show up when they play Notre Dame in Chicago.

19 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Las Vegas should be every four years with new places filling the gaps in-between.  Vegas is nice because the weather is great, tons to do, easy to get there from anywhere.  My idea would be something like this:

2016 - New York
2018 - Las Vegas
2020 - Nashville
2022 - Las Vegas
2024 - Seattle (I've heard very early rumors that they'd like to go here once the new arena is built)
2026 - Las Vegas

This way Vegas doesn't get overplayed, but we don't make it harder and harder to attend these events as new, prime destinations become scarcer to find.

I would love to have a game in Washington DC.

19 hours ago, Big A HG said:

You try to cheer at REA once the game starts and you borderline get hushed for disturbing those snapbooking or discussing beet prices.

I got scolded by a grown ass man 30+ yrs my senior because I stood like 5 seconds too long cheering after we scored our 1st goal on Friday. So I sarcastically apologized for cheering too much and he tried to stare me down to intimidate me? So I went up to him at intermission and asked what the issue was. It's amazing how quickly people(including this guy) back down and aren't so tough when you speak to them like a person and make them articulate their tough guy act. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Big A HG said:

2016 - New York
2018 - Las Vegas
2020 - Nashville
2022 - Las Vegas
2026 - Las Vegas

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

You’ll find out how many Badger fans would show up when they play Notre Dame in Chicago.

Sunday January 20th at the United Center in Chicago is a home game for the Badgers. It will be interesting to see the attendance #'s. Notre Dame in Chicago with us is another option. To play in these pro size rinks, we need visiting team fan help. I like playing these teams that were in the WCHA at one time, a lot of fond old memories there. Playing teams that are in the NCHC wouldn't have that rarity feeling to it. Again, this was just my observation, it seemed like the crowd in LV was extensively 35 to 75. Need to target that age group.

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Sunday January 20th at the United Center in Chicago is a home game for the Badgers. It will be interesting to see the attendance #'s. Notre Dame in Chicago with us is another option. To play in these pro size rinks, we need visiting team fan help. I like playing these teams that were in the WCHA at one time, a lot of fond old memories there. Playing teams that are in the NCHC wouldn't have that rarity feeling to it. Again, this was just my observation, it seemed like the crowd in LV was extensively 35 to 75. Need to target that age group.

Didn't Notre Dame host in Chicago a couple years ago?

I like Seattle, but I think that would be a mistake. New York and Vegas both draw travelers on their own and offer a lot to tourists. DC (capital tourism) and Orlando (Disney, Universal, beach) would be great. Not sure Seattle would have that draw. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Does New Orleans have a decent arena? Mardi Gras style game could be fun. 

The Smoothie King arena seats 16,800 for hockey.  Its right next to the Superdome.  The Pelicans play their but the NO Brass of the ECHL used to play there.

Don't like NO much because I know people you have just been traveling on the freeway system there and got their car windows shot out.  The police thought it was no big deal.  Haven’t been there after Katrina though.

Three Gulf Coast Cities have ice facilities with 10k seats that can host:  Biloxi, Mobile and Pensacola.  All of them aren’t to far from NO if one wants to go explore.

14 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Again, this was just my observation, it seemed like the crowd in LV was extensively 35 to 75. Need to target that age group.

The champions club priority certainly factored into this, but yes, these games should be targeted to the crowd with the money. Minnesota being the opponent in Vegas was a definite perk.

Where else will we get this much fan support, unless we play in visiting teams home town?

So if 5,000 fans are from each team, one teams 5,000 and we bring 10 to 12,000, what an atmosphere. That would be with over 15,000 fans? There would be some good interaction of the crowd. LV had none of this.