SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

19 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but it does tell us that we were mediocre in 2015 and still mediocre 3 years later...the program is not growing. it's stagnant.

Okay, the program is stagnant. What needs to be done to make it better? it's easy to sit here and b!tch about UND football. I have yet to see any suggestions of what needs to be done to move the program to the next level. Some are suggesting firing a coach or six, but that isn't going to do much if the administration doesn't spend the money to make improvements. Yes, finishing phase II would help. 

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

One might argue if UND doesn't make the NCAA tourney this season, the Ralph might burn to the ground. The fire Berry crowd will be out in full force. 

Yes, if UND misses the MH NCAA's this coming season, the fans will be really tough on the team, what somewhat softened the blow last season is that MN and BC both also missed, especially with that .0001 RPI for the goofs. 

The big difference is last year UND just missed in hockey and in football really stumbled, and before then, MH hasn't missed the NCAA's for many years and in those years FB only made it once. 

12 hours ago, BigGame said:

Facts are facts and this isn't an argument to drop football down to D2, UND and the community doesn't support football or any other sport like it does hockey and that is the truth.  I am not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth.  I lived it and know exactly how it was in the situation, and we had a strong program at the time I was playing.  Grand Forks is a hockey town first and that isn't a bad thing but you can't expect football recruits to fall all over themselves to play at UND when the school to the south is dominating and is a football town first. It is a minor obstacle for the football program but certainly not something they cannot or will not overcome.  

Well if it was the University of Grand Forks, your point might have some validity.  But it’s not.

Kennedy and Chaves know that UND football have to reach out to ND and beyond and get the alumni excited.  As much as hockey can get the alumni excited, it won’t give UND much of a national stage.

49 minutes ago, Goon said:

Okay, the program is stagnant. What needs to be done to make it better? it's easy to sit here and b!tch about UND football. I have yet to see any suggestions of what needs to be done to move the program to the next level. Some are suggesting firing a coach or six, but that isn't going to do much if the administration doesn't spend the money to make improvements. Yes, finishing phase II would help. 

There are a lot of programs that we are competing against that don't offer FCOA, so to say that without spending money nothing will change is pretty simplistic.  Certainly it helps, but x's and o's are huge in the game of football.  

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

There are a lot of programs that we are competing against that don't offer FCOA, so to say that without spending money nothing will change is pretty simplistic.  Certainly it helps, but x's and o's are huge in the game of football.  

If you look at the history of great coaches they generally win wherever they coach. Regardless of amenities or tradition.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you look at the history of great coaches they generally win wherever they coach. Regardless of amenities or tradition.

That's true, but, look at the programs that are ahead of UND. What do they have that we don't? If I am a  top recruit for FCS football and I have a chance to go to NDSU, EWU or UND. Who do you think is going to win that recruiting battle? I will hang up and listen. I think that UND's reluctance to now follow UND to division I hurt them in the long run. Some have made the argument that NDSU doesn't have a hockey team and can focus more of their resources on football. 

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

The fire coaches contingent around UND is never far away.

This is not unique to UND - this contingent can be found anywhere people care about and expect a winning program.  How long do you think Muss would have lasted at NDSU?  How much tolerance would they have for Bubba?  That's right - very little.  Although fans complain, it seems like we let coaches flounder about for quite a while (Muss - 6 years) and are tolerant of the same mistakes over and over (Rudolph).  Same with basketball.

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

This is not unique to UND - this contingent can be found anywhere people care about and expect a winning program.  How long do you think Muss would have lasted at NDSU?  How much tolerance would they have for Bubba?  That's right - very little.  Although fans complain, it seems like we let coaches flounder about for quite a while (Muss - 6 years) and are tolerant of the same mistakes over and over (Rudolph).  Same with basketball.

I have so much faith in Chaves, it won't be like it was in the past. I'm so excited having him as AD.

11 minutes ago, Irish said:

Here's a scenario, UND has austere financial conditions when it comes to the athletic department. UND is now in the Summit Basketball league, what happens if both the men's and women's team stumble. There's a good chance that could happen with the Men's team. It's going to be hard to compete with SDSU in Men's and Women's basketball. That's reality. 

Is a winning record good enough or do they need to win a conference title? What's the threshold? When do we start firing coaching staffs? You can't keep firing coaches all of the time especially if they have long-term deals. How long does a head coach get to make their mark on a program? 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

I have so much faith in Chaves, it won't be like it was in the past. I'm so excited having him as AD.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Putting in more money would be a good start, but I don't think it would save us from the type of games we saw vs Richmond, 2015 Idaho State, or this week.   

On a lighter note, my wife and I sat in front of Bubba's wife at the game on Saturday. That was an absolute riot. She was totally into the game, and I'd absolutely watch a game near her again. Passionate, cheering and yelling at every play, and clearly has watched her share of football over the years. That, at least, was big fun.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

On a lighter note, my wife and I sat in front of Bubba's wife at the game on Saturday. That was an absolute riot. She was totally into the game, and I'd absolutely watch a game near her again. Passionate, cheering and yelling at every play, and clearly has watched her share of football over the years. That, at least, was big fun.

i sat in front of mac schneider and his family...never once cheered or yelled or anything...left early and heard his son ask if "we are going to fargo."....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Well if it was the University of Grand Forks, your point might have some validity.  But it’s not.

Kennedy and Chaves know that UND football have to reach out to ND and beyond and get the alumni excited.  As much as hockey can get the alumni excited, it won’t give UND much of a national stage.

There will be as many UND hockey fans in Vegas next month as there will be in the AL vs Montana.  National stage??? How does one achieve that in FCS? In the big picture of CFB even NDSU isn't on the national stage.

18 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Try sitting around Lowell.......................................

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

There will as many UND hockey fans in Vegas next month as there will be in the AL vs Montana.  National stage??? How does one achieve that in FCS? In the big picture of CFB even NDSU isn't on the national stage.

I love UND hockey, but college hockey is NEVER on a national stage.  If one ventures very out of MN, WI, MI, ND and Boston, college hockey is all but invisible.  If UND is trying to raise its profile throughout the US or even the midwest, its wll only happen through football or basketball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

That's true, but, look at the programs that are ahead of UND. What do they have that we don't? If I am a  top recruit for FCS football and I have a chance to go to NDSU, EWU or UND. Who do you think is going to win that recruiting battle? I will hang up and listen. I think that UND's reluctance to now follow UND to division I hurt them in the long run. Some have made the argument that NDSU doesn't have a hockey team and can focus more of their resources on football. 

EWU was probably thinking they could never compete with what U of Montana had: a nearby conference school with fans, tradition, way nicer facilities, and only "game" in the entire state.

There's always an excuse for something til it's not.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

EWU was probably thinking they could never compete with what U of Montana had: a nearby conference school with fans, tradition, and only player in the entire state.

The UND/NDSU rivalry will turn, how many years did it take RT?  I was hearing the same things in the late 80's and early 90's.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I love UND hockey, but college hockey is NEVER on a national stage.  If one ventures very out of MN, WI, MI, ND and Boston, college hockey is all but invisible.  If UND is trying to raise its profile throughout the US or even the midwest, its wll only happen through football or basketball.

Not disagreeing but UND FB and/or MBB will never be on the "national stage" either. A NCCA MBB tournament berth for a game is a fleeting blip on the national radar.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

The UND/NDSU rivalry will turn, how many years did it take RT?  I was hearing the same things in the late 80's and early 90's.

The reason NDSU is better than us is they keep hiring really good coaches. Since I think Mudra back in the 60s built their program from nothing they have kinda kept with his blueprint and kept hiring good coaches for the most part with only a hiccup here or there along the way.

1 hour ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

This is true. Every garbage can was overflowing and trash was piled up on the ground next to them. Any wind at all (rare in GF, I know...) will spread that stuff all over the parking lot.

I drove by there on my way out.  It was disgusting the way it was left.

There was a big dumpster sitting behind the porta potties.  I couldn't tell for sure but it wasn't overflowing.