SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: Fighting Hawks vs MVSU

geaux_sioux

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Even the best corners can't cover for more that about 4.5 seconds. 

And the worst corners can’t cover for more than about 0.5 seconds. UND’s corners need to and should improve, but will it be enough? Pressuring the passer obviously is huge and helps immensely. 

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And the worst corners can’t cover for more than about 0.5 seconds. UND’s corners need to and should improve, but will it be enough? Pressuring the passer obviously is huge and helps immensely. 

I think part of the problem is we are predictably in man press with pressure.  The QB has 2 seconds and throws it up with our guy having no idea where the ball is.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I think part of the problem is we are predictably in man press with pressure.  The QB has 2 seconds and throws it up with our guy having no idea where the ball is.

Spot on! They are constantly playing with their back to the QB and rarely turn around to see the ball. Change it up a little, give them a chance to see the play.

• Upvote 2

A lot of crap here on Harris. I agree the corner's didn't look great Maybe they need to knock of some rust as it was the first game, but Harris in particular is coming off a big injury and hasn't played in almost two years. Lets let him get the feel and speed of the game back. I'd like to see him make an big improvement against Washington, but it will likely be small improvements game by game. SH is the more important games for us, and if he is back in usual form by conference play we will look much different. 

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Absolutely. A heavy pressure philosophy is a two edged sword. Schmidt is now on the sideline this year with hope he can better instruct. Cover 3 and man zone combos (cover 2 with man under) need to be called more often. The heavy blitz zero coverage calls are fine but need to be called more sparingly. Might be a tough pill for Bubba and Schmidt to swallow; they love to live and die by the blitz. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I never referred to him as garbage but let’s not fool ourselves thinking because Mel Kiper had him going in the first or whatever he was going to. I guarantee he never saw a minute of his film. The stats popped because he was opportunistic but not act like he was ever some shutdown corner. 

This is exactly right. How many of Harris's picks have been because a QB throws down field and Harris has his guy blanketed? He will occasionally get lucky and jumps a route and gets a pick six. Marcus WIlliams and CJ Smith were both much better cover guys than Harris and neither were drafted, Harris has a couple of inches on both. Other than that, he has a lot of improving to do to make an NFL roster. 

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Absolutely. A heavy pressure philosophy is a two edged sword. Schmidt is now on the sideline this year with hope he can better instruct. Cover 3 and man zone combos (cover 2 with man under) need to be called more often. The heavy blitz zero coverage calls are fine but need to be called more sparingly. Might be a tough pill for Bubba and Schmidt to swallow; they love to live and die by the blitz. 

I hope we're able to get consistent pressure with 5 or less on the pass rush. If we can stop the run while also being able to keep 6-7 guys in coverage that'd help the corners a lot. Our best defense maybe an offense that can run the ball and control the clock. We only need the passing game to be good enough for teams to have to respect it. Then hopefully our stable of running backs can take over games.Wearing out the D and keeping the O off the field, that's my vision for success.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

This is exactly right. How many of Harris's picks have been because a QB throws down field and Harris has his guy blanketed? He will occasionally get lucky and jumps a route and gets a pick six. Marcus WIlliams and CJ Smith were both much better cover guys than Harris and neither were drafted, Harris has a couple of inches on both. Other than that, he has a lot of improving to do to make an NFL roster. 

You know a lot about a lot of things.  Wow.  Lucky us.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You know a lot about a lot of things.  Wow.  Lucky us.  

You are welcome. On a positive note, your QB looks like he is pretty good, Your offensive skill positions are very good. I am not sure if you Offensive line will protect the QB and open enough holes against a good D-line. 

On 9/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Our best defense maybe an offense that can run the ball and control the clock. We only need the passing game to be good enough for teams to have to respect it. Then hopefully our stable of running backs can take over games.Wearing out the D and keeping the O off the field, that's my vision for success.  

That's what the Hawks did against MVSU and people complained we only won by 28. As a first outing it was far from perfect, but this formula isn't about winning pretty.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:17 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Finally, get someone else to control the music/audio/volume...WTF.  I've never heard so much up and down in the volume before, it drove me crazy. Also, that microphone popping noise needs to be fixed. I'm pretty sure it was just the ref's mic but holy crap it sounded like the speakers were going to blow when it popped. In the 2nd half it seemed like it happened every 2 mintues.

Whoa, hey now, it's not like the Alerus had 9 months to test it or make adjustments...