SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

cberkas

On 4/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, petey23 said:

He didn't go to another college?

Yeah I realized that after I posted.  But if National Letter of Intent is a binding contract, did he not break the contract?  but to get away from the JT Miller avenue, how iron clad is a National Letter of Intent?  Let's say the next boy wonder is persuade for reasons unknown to sign a National Letter of Intent to the Gophers, said boy wonder for reasons undisclosed wants to play for UND, can a legal team make this happen?

Don't call an NLI a "contract" else the player would be ... < wait for it > ... under contract. <-- PROFESSIONAL! 

It is merely a "binding agreement" ... :blink: :silly:

When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year.

"Binding Agreement" FAQs. 

In any other context a "binding agreement" to provide a service in exchange for something of value would be a contract. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Yeah I realized that after I posted.  But if National Letter of Intent is a binding contract, did he not break the contract?  but to get away from the JT Miller avenue, how iron clad is a National Letter of Intent?  Let's say the next boy wonder is persuade for reasons unknown to sign a National Letter of Intent to the Gophers, said boy wonder for reasons undisclosed wants to play for UND, can a legal team make this happen?

Pretty challenging, first, ask yourself if your smart enough to go to college?

Agree 100% with the article, recruiting is happening way too early.  I am still trying to figure out how a 13 or 14 year old is even in a position to give a verbal commit.  According to the NCAA D1 Hockey recruiting rules a coach can't even call you until Jan 1 of your sophomore year.  I realize that you can call the coach at your own expense, but how awkward is that?  Oh, I'm sure there is back channel communications advising the recruit to call the coach.  Bunch of shady crap.  Maybe I am just the stupid one, my oldest is a sophomore I better get working the phones.

I also fail to see how well these players can be projected at such a young age.  I am watching it happen right now, one season can be a huge difference for a player in terms of their development.  How these guys can project 5 years out is beyond me.  The system leads to a lot of late developers falling through the cracks and many early developers not reaching their full potential because of the reasons stated in the article.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, SiouxScore said:

The gentleman's agreement is the stupidest thing ever. Makes no sens for a program like UND, Minnesota, Denver, Michigan, BC, BU to follow it. I'd be very much in favor of the UND staff continue to recruit whoever they think will help UND until that player has signed his NLI.

Agreed, it was developed to help the smaller schools.  Well they have caught up and there is more parity than ever before.  Some kids get better as they grow and mature, we should be able to talk to them until they sign their NLI.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't call an NLI a "contract" else the player would be ... < wait for it > ... under contract. <-- PROFESSIONAL! 

It is merely a "binding agreement" ... :blink: :silly:

"Binding Agreement" FAQs. 

In any other context a "binding agreement" to provide a service in exchange for something of value would be a contract. 

Being that this kids are minors, can they actually be legally bound to the agreement?

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

I think Jimmy Schuldt is still undecided, according to the SC Times article I read. I’d guess he’ll be back though. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

A little early to say that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

It's always tough sledding in the NCHC.  Just ask Denver.  UMD does not have what I would say "has everyone back".  They have 6 seniors and Kuhlman and J. Thomas were key contributors.  With Anderson going early they have to be holding their breath on Tufte.  That being said, I am sure they will not be pushovers but numerous teams in the NCHC could very well have better years with UND being one of those teams.

• Upvote 2