SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

From the Sunnit League web page.

ABOUT SUMMIT LEAGUE MEN'S BASKETBALL
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League features men's basketball teams from eight member institutions: Denver, Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois with North Dakota becoming an official member for the 2018-19 season. For more information about the league, "See The Summit" by visiting www.thesummitleague.org 

University of South Dakota alum Todd Lee is returning to Vermillion to lead the Coyotes' men's basketball program.

Three Summit League men's basketball junior standouts (Fort Wayne's John Konchar, South Dakota's Matt Mooney and South Dakota State's Mike Daum) were named to the Lou Henson All-America Team; nation's top Division I mid-major players.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:08 PM, dakotadan said:

So how many people have purchased tix to the conference tourney yet? There were many people on here over the years who said they'd go if we switched conferences.

4 days in beautiful Sioux Falls?

No thanks.....................:angry:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

4 days in beautiful Sioux Falls?

No thanks.....................:angry:

Compared to Boise, Idaho?

On September 18, 2017, the Big Sky announced that its men's and women's tournaments will relocate in 2019 to Boise, Idaho; the initial contract runs for three years at CenturyLink Arena, through 2021.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:08 PM, dakotadan said:

So how many people have purchased tix to the conference tourney yet? There were many people on here over the years who said they'd go if we switched conferences.

Attendance in Reno- very poor

Attendance in Sioux Falls-record breaking

I think a lot of people will turn out for UND playing in Sioux Falls compared to Reno or even Boise. 

2017 BSC Championship game UND vs Weber State: 2,025

2018 SL Champ game USD vs SDSU: 11,235

Grand Forks to Sioux Falls: 319 miles

Grand Forks to closest Big Sky member (Bozeman, MT) 817 miles

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If Sioux Fall would of been home to one of the schools (SD or SDSU), that school would be the largest U in the Dakotas.

Attendance would be interesting to see if the championship game is IPFW vs Western Illinois or Oral Roberts. Half the conference is a Dakota team with Omaha 2 1/2 hours away. Thats 5 "local" teams out of 9 total. Pretty good odds that attendance is going to skyrocket.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

You clearly have never been to Boise. It's actually a really great town.

No I haven’t, and the only thing there that interests me would be to see the smurf turf. I have been to Sioux Falls and it’s a nice city and a lot closer to home than Boise.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:46 AM, sioux24/7 said:

Are they doing a whole redesign? Or just replacing the big sky logo with summit? I would love to see us either put the state outline and centercourt or the Hawk. 

I would guess they would replace the script at the end with the new script that came out with the logo.  North Dakota at one end, Fighting Hawks at the other.  Summit leafu logo in the lanes and you would think a Fighting Hawks logo at mid court.  I emailed the Ralph and as per Garth Wiedrich, the Marketing Manager at Ralph Engelstad Arena, he said "The floor in the Betty is being refinished this year so the logo will be incorporated with the new design."  SO the logo will be there somewhere.  Hopefully center court.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Compared to Boise, Idaho?

On September 18, 2017, the Big Sky announced that its men's and women's tournaments will relocate in 2019 to Boise, Idaho; the initial contract runs for three years at CenturyLink Arena, through 2021.

Have been to both Boise and Sioux Falls...

Boise is a beautiful city.

Sioux Falls... Well, let's just say that on a clear day you can smell Sioux City

16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Sioux Falls... Well, let's just say that on a clear day you can smell Sioux City

That’s fine and all but more people are going to travel to Sioux Falls than those that would travel to Boise for the tournament. Sioux Falls is a budding city with a nice downtown area and the Premier Center is a great place. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

You clearly have never been to Boise. It's actually a really great town.

Agree - Boise location is better than SF.  You will see a  jump in the Big Sky Tournament.  It should have been there to start with..  I never understood Reno

22 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Agree - Boise location is better than SF.  You will see a  jump in the Big Sky Tournament.  It should have been there to start with..  I never understood Reno

So you would have traveled to Boise over traveling to SF for the tourney?

5 hours ago, zonadub said:

I'm sure Boise is great but it isn't easy to get to from eastern ND. Only thing making SF tough is the stretch of I94 from the ND border to Watertown. 

My only issue with the Summit tournament is that the title game should be on a Sunday, should follow a similar format as the MVC. 

11 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I'm sure Boise is great but it isn't easy to get to from eastern ND. Only thing making SF tough is the stretch of I94 from the ND border to Watertown. 

My only issue with the Summit tournament is that the title game should be on a Sunday, should follow a similar format as the MVC. 

I could see Sunday working.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

You eluding to the stock yards?

Yes, I would definitely escape from* the stock yards

*elude (verb) evade or escape from (a danger, enemy, or pursuer), typically in a skillful or cunning way.

i am also alluding** to the stock yards

**allude (verb) suggest or call attention to indirectly; hint at.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Better than Brookings or Vermillion!

The discussion on the merits of going to Sioux Falls brings to mind a true story:

I ran on SDSU's track team a long time ago in the NCC days. In that particular time, SDSU and UNI were the dominant track teams in the conference. During the spring of about my junior year, four guys from UND's track team showed up at the SDSU track practice.  I knew one of the guys - competed against him -- good guy.  He came up to me and inquired about whether our coach would approve of the four UND guys training with us that week.  The coach said that was fine with him.  I asked the UND guy I knew what they were doing in Brookings. He said they were on Spring Break.  I couldn't believe it: "You came to Brookings for spring break?"   The guy laughed and admitted they went "south" for a spring break trip,. He told me about the snow and weather when they had left Grand Forks a day or two before. Ouch.

True story.

The weather in Sioux Falls during the Summit League Tourney is usually -- but not always -- better by a long shot than the weather in Grand Forks.  I've been to every Summit League Tourney since SDSU joined and will continue to go even if SDSU doesn't have a team in the tourney.  I hope a lot of UND fans can make the annual trip.  If you can get a room in the Sheraton Hotel attached to the convention center and the Premier Center, you can stay indoors the entire weekend and watch a lot of great basketball.  I live about 90 minutes from Sioux Falls.  Sioux Falls is a growing city with a lot of good restaurants etc. 

I'm looking forward to UND joining the Summit League. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2