SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

31 minutes ago, JackJD said:

The discussion on the merits of going to Sioux Falls brings to mind a true story:

I ran on SDSU's track team a long time ago in the NCC days. In that particular time, SDSU and UNI were the dominant track teams in the conference. During the spring of about my junior year, four guys from UND's track team showed up at the SDSU track practice.  I knew one of the guys - competed against him -- good guy.  He came up to me and inquired about whether our coach would approve of the four UND guys training with us that week.  The coach said that was fine with him.  I asked the UND guy I knew what they were doing in Brookings. He said they were on Spring Break.  I couldn't believe it: "You came to Brookings for spring break?"   The guy laughed and admitted they went "south" for a spring break trip,. He told me about the snow and weather when they had left Grand Forks a day or two before. Ouch.

True story.

The weather in Sioux Falls during the Summit League Tourney is usually -- but not always -- better by a long shot than the weather in Grand Forks.  I've been to every Summit League Tourney since SDSU joined and will continue to go even if SDSU doesn't have a team in the tourney.  I hope a lot of UND fans can make the annual trip.  If you can get a room in the Sheraton Hotel attached to the convention center and the Premier Center, you can stay indoors the entire weekend and watch a lot of great basketball.  I live about 90 minutes from Sioux Falls.  Sioux Falls is a growing city with a lot of good restaurants etc. 

I'm looking forward to UND joining the Summit League. 

Even though I was getting to kind of enjoy being in the Big Sky,  the move to the Summit makes sense from several different angles, having the conference tournament relatively close by being one of them.

Drove through the SDSU campus on the way back to Kansas City Sunday and they have a very nice campus.

9 hours ago, JackJD said:

The discussion on the merits of going to Sioux Falls brings to mind a true story:

I ran on SDSU's track team a long time ago in the NCC days. In that particular time, SDSU and UNI were the dominant track teams in the conference. During the spring of about my junior year, four guys from UND's track team showed up at the SDSU track practice.  I knew one of the guys - competed against him -- good guy.  He came up to me and inquired about whether our coach would approve of the four UND guys training with us that week.  The coach said that was fine with him.  I asked the UND guy I knew what they were doing in Brookings. He said they were on Spring Break.  I couldn't believe it: "You came to Brookings for spring break?"   The guy laughed and admitted they went "south" for a spring break trip,. He told me about the snow and weather when they had left Grand Forks a day or two before. Ouch.

True story.

The weather in Sioux Falls during the Summit League Tourney is usually -- but not always -- better by a long shot than the weather in Grand Forks.  I've been to every Summit League Tourney since SDSU joined and will continue to go even if SDSU doesn't have a team in the tourney.  I hope a lot of UND fans can make the annual trip.  If you can get a room in the Sheraton Hotel attached to the convention center and the Premier Center, you can stay indoors the entire weekend and watch a lot of great basketball.  I live about 90 minutes from Sioux Falls.  Sioux Falls is a growing city with a lot of good restaurants etc. 

I'm looking forward to UND joining the Summit League. 

Thanks for sharing that story, I'm also looking forward to UND joining the Summit.

Location location location!!!

Sioux Falls does a good job with the League Tourney, I hope to make it in the near future.

3 hours ago, JackJD said:

You are pretty lucky, I sure thought he would be moving on.

23 hours ago, JackJD said:

Good new for SDSU. Bad news for every other team in the Summit...

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 6:20 PM, sioux24/7 said:

So you would have traveled to Boise over traveling to SF for the tourney?

I don' think so on an annual basis, but if UND was a top 4 team yes.  So, I would say dependant on the team.  In general, my comment about Boise was around the fact that Boise is more centrally located for the primary schools in the Big Sky (EWU, UI, ISU, UM, MSU and Weber St.  maybe in Portland St.)..  

22 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I don' think so on an annual basis, but if UND was a top 4 team yes.  So, I would say dependant on the team.  In general, my comment about Boise was around the fact that Boise is more centrally located for the primary schools in the Big Sky (EWU, UI, ISU, UM, MSU and Weber St.  maybe in Portland St.)..  

Seems like a way better choice than Reno.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Better than Brookings or Vermillion!

Vermillion, yes.

Sioux Falls is a nice city with lots to do. Similar to Fargo.

Brookings is like a smaller Grand Forks. Great college town.

There some unique men’s basketball conference scheduling going on now to increase mid major chances of an at large dance bid.

The Sun Belt and CUSA will play about 80% of their conference schedule normally, but the last two weeks will have games again with teams that are in their W-L region.  For example, the top three of the Belt will each have a two game series against each other so their RPI goes up by not playing the conference dregs.  It is an interesting way for the upper teams to get better RPIs to qualify.  Theoretically, the 3rd place team could get as many as four games against the 1st and 2nd place teams and still meet in the tournament.

Such a system maximizes conference games but minimizes the top teams playing the bottom ones.  But these games will have to be scheduled late in the season.  The WCC reduces conference play  to minimize Gonzaga’s conference games against weak opponents and hurting their RPI..

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/4/17426820/sun-belt-conference-mens-basketball-schedule-model-tournament-cusa-change

Bison radio actually had a important interview here.  CUSA/Sun Belt/Horizon will have some interlocking scheduled games that will help their RPI.   These games would be announced late in the season and wouldn’t be just a league challenge series.  The Summit may join it later.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:21 PM, nodak651 said:

Big Sky, but whatever... Portland State's new arena is done

Image result for portland state arena

why do they have a logo at center court...seems odd...you would think it would be some fancy weird scripting saying Oregon or Portland or something more vague?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Both NDSU and SDSU with seperate games at US Bank Stadium (as well as 2 other games)  Likely a test run for the Final 4.  

http://gobison.com/news/2018/7/24/bison-mens-basketball-to-play-drake-at-us-bank-stadium-in-minneapolis-dec-1.aspx

St. Thomas vs.
Wisconsin – River Falls
Friday, Nov. 30 – Time TBA (evening)
Minnesota vs.
Oklahoma State
Friday, Nov. 30 – Time TBA (evening)
     Following St. Thomas vs. UW-RF
North Dakota State vs. 
Drake University

Saturday, Dec. 1 – Time TBA (evening)
South Dakota State vs.
Northern Iowa

Saturday, Dec. 1 – Time TBA (evening)
     Following NDSU vs. Drake

• 2 weeks later...

SDSU was absolutely thrashed by Carleton of Canada, 113-51 in a foreign trip exhibition.  Carleton led at the half by 62-21, so Carleton was easy on the Jacks in the second half.  Carleton has also beaten Ole Miss and Cincinati by teens, and they are the defending Canadian champions.

SDSU needs to find another gear.  The much vaunted ferociousness of the Jacks was an absolute dud up north.  That could be valuable game film for Summit teams to have.