SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS. uno GAMEDAY THREAD

iluvdebbies

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

No coaching in the world can cover up for mediocre players.  Best teams have the best players.   

UND 2016, for example.

We've had teams that didn't have the best players make the frozen four. We've also had teams that I felt had the best players not win the natty. This team may not have the best players, but I guess I expected more.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

How freakin empty is the Xcel going to be this year when UND doesn't make it? Ouch.

SCSU and UMD will bring their small group of fans, but it's going to look marginally better than the B10 tourney with all those empty seats.

It'll be beyond bad.

3 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

We've had teams that didn't have the best players make the frozen four. We've also had teams that I felt had the best players not win the natty. This team may not have the best players, but I guess I expected more.

The 2013-14 team wasn't loaded. Rocco had 17 goals. Three others had 10, 11 and 12. Seemed like they struggled to even fill a roster some nights. Yet they competed every night and were a lucky bounce from being in the natty title game. No matter how you look at this team, it's a disappointment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ice Arena Man said:

Will you still have the annual meeting at the HOGGSBREATH if they do not make it.:(

26 minutes ago, franchise said:

Does the brunch still take place if there are no fans their to attend it?:lol:

Haven't ever cancelled it yet...but the 2002 Hogg event was pretty sparsely attended.  

4 hours ago, franchise said:

The 2013-14 team wasn't loaded. Rocco had 17 goals. Three others had 10, 11 and 12. Seemed like they struggled to even fill a roster some nights. Yet they competed every night and were a lucky bounce from being in the natty title game. No matter how you look at this team, it's a disappointment. 

Refresh my memory, how did they just miss the natty final that season?  Critics can bash Haks all you want, but there you have limited top line goal scoring and just one game from the final--wow.

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

Refresh my memory, how did they just miss the natty final that season?  Critics can bash Haks all you want, but there you have limited top line goal scoring and just one game from the final--wow.

0.6 game. 

To this day there’s not a doubt in my mind if that game goes to OT we would’ve won. But it was not meant to be... 

• Like 2

I had a nice exchange with Pattyn on Facebook following that game. Possibly my second favorite UND player ever. There's dedication to the program, then there's Pattyn level dedication. Although I do have a tendency to like the role playing guys that are here for 4 years over the blue chippers that are here for 2.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Only because of the miracle that is Coach Brad Berry, apparently.  Had Hakstol been coach and UND lost in OT, he'd still be our "Doug Woog," right?

My comment had nothing to do with the coaches. Your comment seemed nonsensical (SP)

Have been watching Sioux hockey since 1954/now am 80.  Since the old Ralph was build have had season tickets for almost every year, gone to several out of town games, regionals and final fours.

Point being there are very few close games that may have turned out different  but for some goal going in or being missed.  Therefore to suggest Barry's future depends on an open net goal is hard to rationalize.

Time to realize Haxdol is gone and Barry is the coach.  There is no need to be defensive.

7 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

My comment had nothing to do with the coaches. Your comment seemed nonsensical (SP)

Have been watching Sioux hockey since 1954/now am 80.  Since the old Ralph was build have had season tickets for almost every year, gone to several out of town games, regionals and final fours.

Point being there are very few close games that may have turned out different  but for some goal going in or being missed.  Therefore to suggest Barry's future depends on an open net goal is hard to rationalize.

Time to realize Haxdol is gone and Barry is the coach.  There is no need to be defensive.

Think mm's comment was for those on here that were "fire hak" people and call him a woog clone. Don't remember you being one of those

2 hours ago, Old Fella said:

My point is that the folks who suggest that Hakstol was a "loser" for North Dakota could not be more wrong.  I want Brad Berry to succeed as much as anyone, but if his W-L record after 10 seasons is .500, it would be hard to say he's a better coach than Hakstol all because he won 1 national title and Hak won 0.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

My point is that the folks who suggest that Hakstol was a "loser" for North Dakota could not be more wrong.  I want Brad Berry to succeed as much as anyone, but if his W-L record after 10 seasons is .500, it would be hard to say he's a better coach than Hakstol all because he won 1 national title and Hak won 0.

As you may surmise my ride with the Sioux has been up and down.  Went  thru the 70's which was difficult at best.  Then was fortunate to watch,in my opinion, 2 of the all time great Sioux hockey coaches and the great teams they had.

For the past 18 years have had the priviledge, with a sense of pride, to be entertained by so many great players and teams.  Not to mention watching all this in the 1 and only REA.  Could any hockey fan have had it better?     

Again my comments had nothing to do with coaching/don't recall calling any coach a loser.  From reading Sioux Sports blogs it appears you are 1 of the guru's  It was disapointing to read your comment regarding Barry's future being tied to 'a goal scored in an empty net'.  My comments were in response to that, 

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

We're on the same team here, Old Fella.  I'm not sure how up-to-date you are on the board, but we have lots of pre-2016 folks here who felt that a Sandelin-like record over the course of a decade would be perfectly fine if the team won 1 title.  Well, now that title has happened within recent memory, but this board still melts down after every loss.  There are no guarantees.  It might be 2091 before North Dakota wins another one.  

I'm hardly a guru...just a fan, like pretty much everyone else here.  Attended UND from 88-92 and watched some pretty disappointing hockey.  All bad memories were erased by the 97 team and then -- BOOM! -- 00 gives me some more good times.  16 makes 3 NCAA titles since I've followed the school and the team. I could die happy sports-wise tomorrow, although I hope that sports victories aren't the highlight of my life when it's over.  

We are spoiled as fans - and those who don't think as such are plain wrong.  Yes, we've had some low lows, but we most certainly have had more good fortune than misfortune.  And we all hope that that continues.

May God bless you all...and may God bless the University of North Dakota.  :love: 

Thanks!

We are spoiled/probably no cure for that.

They're getting me ready for bed.

Bringing me spageti and meatballs

and a bottle og Mondavi Penot Doir

Then the meds and they take my computor away

On 2/17/2018 at 7:03 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Haven't seen bigskyvikes here lately willing to take West Regional tickets off everyone's hands. Odds are looking like he might get a few PM within the next couple weeks to follow through on those potential transactions. 

Been busy with family funerals and a 6 month ago planned snowmobile trip to the mountains for the last week. You keep your misery going ox, I'll wait till the boys make it and you can tell me "I got lucky saying they'd make it", just like last season. 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, franchise said:

I offered mine up 3 weeks ago but ticket master hasn't released them to my acct

You just make sure you think of every excuse you can to say you wanted to sell them and I didn't follow through! Lol, I told you weeks ago I'd buy them, I think 3 yrs in a row now. Big doom and gloom babies till you sit in your seats at the NCHC or the regional.

Pitch forks out Fridays and the bus door opens on Saturday, some pathetic "fans" this team has

:lol:

• Upvote 1