SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, already 4x each in the WWCHA. 

What fills the four game void for SCSU left by UND? 

I guess I was reading that you said the next closest game was Lindenwood...which Bemidji, Minny and Duluth are all closer.

Just now, dmksioux said:

I guess I was reading that you said the next closest game was Lindenwood...which Bemidji, Minny and Duluth are all closer.

Read the SC Times story I linked. The nearest team to fill their schedule now is Lindenwood. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dmksioux said:

I now see you are saying that Lindenwood would replace UND in the conference.  I've had a couple drinks so didn't see what you were saying initially..

No. I'm not saying that. The SC Times guy is saying the closest games to fill their schedule are in St. Louis. 

You may infer from him what you please. ;)

52 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Nothing was learned from the 1980's oil boom, was it?  Just kick back, let the money roll in, then spend it was fast as you can. Nice work.

When you just need to show up to make six figures, the Saturday morning "treatment" is just too easy...

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Nothing was learned from the 1980's oil boom, was it?  Just kick back, let the money roll in, then spend it as fast as you can. Nice work.

We did put billions in reserve funds this time. We're just refusing to use them. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We did put billions in reserve funds this time. We're just refusing to use them. 

The Legacy fund can't be touched until after June of this yr.  Plus it takes a 2/3 majority vote to have it used.  If you want to have people get up in arms, try using some of that money to save a sport. 

48 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

The Legacy fund can't be touched until after June of this yr.  Plus it takes a 2/3 majority vote to have it used.  If you want to have people get up in arms, try using some of that money to save a sport. 

I'm not advocating to use that money to save sports. Was simply pointing out we kind of almost learned from the 80s bust. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So the fallacies are already making the rounds and like the Siouxper Drunk shirts urban legend unfortunately will live forever.

You mean the t-shirts that UND administration had printed up at The Sioux Shop and gave away free to all students for the university-sponsored on-campus Spring Break orgy?  THOSE t-shirts?

Yes and the fallacies I have seen in many different places now is that last week the coaches did not know in advance, the team was told they were cut while they were on the ice practicing, and that UND intentionally leaked the cuts to the media prior to the press conference. 

Just watched for the first time an episode of Vice on HBO. It was about the NCAA and college sports.

Very interesting what they had to say about colleges that claim they are losing money. One guy said "all colleges can afford to pay their athletes, the millions those athletes make these colleges would blow your mind". This episode focused on football and basketball obviously. 

One interesting league they named was the big10,  one of the worst at "exploiting athletes whose families are poor"!

"The big10 charges anyone with game footage $125 per second of footage"! They charge brand names money to allow them to give their athletes free gear and make it mandatory for them to wear it!

Crazy stuff, check it out!

49 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Yes and the fallacies I have seen in many different places now is that last week the coaches did not know in advance, the team was told they were cut while they were on the ice practicing, and that UND intentionally leaked the cuts to the media prior to the press conference. 

Yep!  The way the news media has portrayed this, Mark Kennedy himself walked out onto center ice during the women's NCAA championship game and pulled the North Dakota squad off the ice!  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yep!  The way the news media has portrayed this, Mark Kennedy himself walked out onto center ice during the women's NCAA championship game and pulled the North Dakota squad off the ice!  

I thought Geno Auriemma broke the news to the team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NoDakFan said:

As much as I enjoy watching them, and respect them for their accomplishments this letter upsets me. Not once did they suggest a possible solution ot the budget problems if they were to reinstate it. Don't bitch loudly about a problem unless you can help provide a solution. 

Not only that but where were they from the get go? They went to the UofM first and transferred to UND later. To me that shows they were never "on-board" with the hockey program at UND from the beginning.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1