SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Change.org petitions: hugely effective since ... never. 

Wrong. I signed one to let Notre Dame know I wanted the defensive coordinator fired... next business day... He was gone. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

Wrong. I signed one to let Notre Dame know I wanted the defensive coordinator fired... next business day... He was gone. 

That wasn't the change.org petition; that was that someone saw YOUR name on it and immediately jumped to your whim to avoid facing your wrath. 

That or the DC at Notre Dame terrible and management fired him for cause. 

3 hours ago, sprig said:

And today's on campus protest outside the hpc was expected to have 70+ Student athlete protestors, but just 12 showed up.  Not sure what they were #turningtheirback on.  Appeared to be the parking lot to the north.  The no- shows feared repercussions from UND.  Really? 

I guess thats almost 1/4 of the people that attends women's hockey.

The main problem womens hockey has that is within its control, is that there is no checking... and honestly know one can give a good reason for why. Letting the girls check might be a good way to make the game more intresting, and less like squirt hockey game. I realize that womens sports as whole draw less attention than mens sports, but letting the girls play out of the same rule book could help, and it sure as hell wouldn't hurt. the game as a whole

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That wasn't the change.org petition; that was that someone saw YOUR name on it and immediately jumped to your whim to avoid facing your wrath. 

That or the DC at Notre Dame terrible and management fired him for cause. 

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Change.org petitions and Twitter hashtag campaigns: hugely effective since ... never. 

18 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Wrong!  I signed a change.org petition for Notre Dame to KEEP the defensive coordinator - to no avail.  

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Someone did the math over on the GF Herald on how much money they would need to do it privately: a 32.5 million dollar endownment?  Is that even possible?

Plus they'd need to bring back something on the men's side for Title IX and find a way to cover the money they were moving over to otherworldly sports to be in line with Summit requirements.

It's. Not. Happening. 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Someone did the math over on the GF Herald on how much money they would need to do it privately: a 32.5 million dollar endownment?  Is that even possible?

Possible? Sure. Likely? No.

Also, it'd likely be robbing Peter to pay Paul, as the pool of potential donors of that size for UND isn't very big, so that $$ may have been donated for something else. 

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Plus they'd need to bring back something on the men's side for Title IX and find a way to cover the money they were moving over to otherworldly sports to be in line with Summit requirements.

It's. Not. Happening. 

I don't think its going to either, but the number just took me back.

2 hours ago, teamsioux said:

What if I tell you those fun and games includes 8 Olympians? :)

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sounds like a 30 for 30 that nobody would watch.

My DVR is set to record all "30 for 30" episodes, so I'd probably watch it.

"What if I told you there once was a womens hockey team whose success rivaled that of UConn's womens basketball team?"

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If you assume a 5% return, $32.5 million gets you an annual budget of $1.625 million. 

That's not enough.

FY16 WIH:
Expenses: $2,132,160
Revenues: $212,180
Net: -$1,919,980

At 5%, you need more like $38.4 million.  
Call it $40 million by the time you get it accumulated and another year of expense growth. 

And honestly, 5% is pretty aggressive. I'd say 4% is more realistic which would mean more like $48-50 million. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

That's not enough.

FY16 WIH:
Expenses: $2,132,160
Revenues: $212,180
Net: -$1,919,980

At 5%, you need more like $38.4 million.
Call it $40 million by the time you get it accumulated and another year of expense growth. 

Whoever came up with the $32.5 million number must've assumed reduced expenses or better returns.