SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

The latest numbers I have:

Operating Expense:
WIH -- $1,492,827 <-- remember that number has NONE of the cost of REA in it (MIH carries all that) 
MSD -- $358,041
WSD -- $591,646

Operating Revenue: 
WIH -- $29,239
MSD -- $31,458
WSD -- $39,194

Net:
WIH -- $1,463,588
MSD -- $326,583
WSD -- $552,452

Source: UND's NCAA membership financial reporting system for reporting year (FY)2015. 

I am once again embarrassed by the University I graduated from. I understand sports need to be cut and there is a budget shortfall but the University as a whole has been very poorly managed for at least the last five years. Incompetent people are in charge. Useless people have been hired. And a great deal of money has been spent frivolously. 

I attended the majority of the home games when I was in school and that was back when the team was terrible. To cut a sport that had eight Olympians in the last Olympics, while a major recruit was in town is pitiful. To have it publicised online before telling the coaches and athletes is beyond an embarrassment, it is a slap in the face to everyone involved in the program. I will proudly wear my Friends of Women's Hockey t-shirt tomorrow and wish it weren't so.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I blame most of this on the people that wouldn't take no for an answer on instituting women's hockey.  Tim and Swyg talked endlessly about it being a black hole and it fell on deaf ears.  They said all it needed to do was get going like women's basketball and I believed them.  If anything the attendance is going down even though people get in free.  If anyone should be ashamed it should be the crusaders that wanted a program without regards to it's financial viability.

Agree.  My guess is WH would have flamed out years ago if it weren't for the Lameroux's ladies coming to the "rescue". 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

I blame most of this on the people that wouldn't take no for an answer on instituting women's hockey.  Tim and Swyg talked endlessly about it being a black hole and it fell on deaf ears.  They said all it needed to do was get going like women's basketball and I believed them.  If anything the attendance is going down even though people get in free.  If anyone should be ashamed it should be the crusaders that wanted a program without regards to it's financial viability.

Only the students got in free. That was a myth as I attended a game in Grand Forks this season and paid for it.

1 minute ago, WiSioux said:

Only the students got in free. That was a myth as I attended a game in Grand Forks this season and paid for it.

All people that are season ticket holders for men's hockey get in free.  I know because I went to many games.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, hrkac said:

who cares if the ice is out, cutting women's hockey is just another example of UND showing it's a small-time operation.  Move back down to DII or III then. 

Womens hockey is a money pit and there is no way around it. I am happy UND showed some balls and cut sports that bleed the athletic department dry. Now we can focus on funding more popular sports at higher levels.

• Upvote 2

As an alum this is embarrassing.  At what point do the cuts stop?  What else is there to be cut.  Everyone assumes that certain sports make profit to cover the losses of the others, but what will be left in a few years?  Football Hockey and Men's and Women's Basketball?  Has volleyball been cut yet?  I really have no idea at this point.  Have had a really &#33;@#&#33;&#036; run of presidents since I graduated.  This one will be known for cutting sports as the last will be for retiring the Sioux name.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2