SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

How about the eight Olympians it produced for the last Olympics? I would guess beyond men's hockey no other sport at UND has/will produce Olympians.

This has always been my favorite argument! Olympians? LOL. US women's hockey team went 2-2 against high school boys teams. That's some world class athletes. "Hey ND legislators, what a bunch of dicks you are to not subsidize a sport that loses 1.5 million dollars every year so that tens of people can watch the awe inspiring athletic talent of Olympians from Finland!"

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MissSioux85 said:

FYI, I received confirmation via email from someone at The Ralph that the ice is still in the main rink.

Gracen Hirschy did not lie/deceive

I think someone else also mentioned that the ice was still in #alwaysaconspiracy

Question: Was the decision to go D-I in all sports part of the reason for the school's current budget issues? Perhaps staying D-II in all sports except men's hockey and a women's team to comply with Title Nine might have saved swimming and the other sports recently cut? My understanding was that to move to D-I involved a massive financial commitment (more scholarships, improvements to facilities, coaches pay, etc). 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hockey is our sport and if it were up to me, women's hockey would have stayed. Our swimming and diving teams are pretty good really an I would have kept them as well. I would have personally cut: soccer, tennis, softball and golf. Not if that would work financially or per scholarship rules but 3 of those sports don't even have on-campus facilities and the official soccer field is pretty sad. 

That being said,  I don't blame Kennedy for his decision. He was put in a tough spot I respect that he made the decision base on pure numbers.

If people want to be mad, they should be mad at those in Congress who didn't plan ahead for a budget shortfall. The state should have funded building repairs when it had the availability to do so. Cuts may have still been needed, but with better planning we may have been able to avoid cutting some, if not all, of these sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, homer said:

1.4 million watched UND play Arizona in the NCAA tournament.  Who did Moorhead play 1st round of D2 tourney. 

Roughly 1000 total watched UND women's series vs Ohio St.  

Count me as one who would rather be D1 with the now correct size athletic dept.  

Point taken but no guarantee UND will make it to the big dance to play a blue blood like Arizona year in and year out. How much financial benefit did UND get out of that game?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Question: Was the decision to go D-I in all sports part of the reason for the school's current budget issues? Perhaps staying D-II in all sports except men's hockey and a women's team to comply with Title Nine might have saved swimming and the other sports recently cut? My understanding was that to move to D-I involved a massive financial commitment (more scholarships, improvements to facilities, coaches pay, etc). 

The lack of ticket buying supporters played a major role in having little revenue.  The REA can now acutally be used for revenue events every weekend.

M/W tennis was required by the Big Sky for one more year.  The Slummit would not have liked if soccer and softball were cut.  It came down to WIH and S&D being least needed according to conference affiliation.

If men's hockey goes B1G, maybe the B1G doesn't want UND WIH if it reached six.  Then UND would be stuck in a Northern Sun WIH league.  Something to consider.

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Point taken but no guarantee UND will make it to the big dance to play a blue blood like Arizona year in and year out. How much financial benefit did UND get out of that game?

The advertising was nearly priceless.  But mbb needs money too, as it's grossly underfunded.

8 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

More than averaging 300 a game for a playoff series.  I don't know the exact number but that exposure is good for the entire university   Ticket sales should be up next year, fan interest should be up, etc   

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The advertising was nearly priceless.  But mbb needs money too, as it's grossly underfunded.

Like more $ for a new coaching staff?  Throwing salary increase at current does nothing to improve the team or results.

8 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Like more $ for a new coaching staff?  Throwing salary increase at current does nothing to improve the team or results.

The tv said his support staff is different every year because they get big money offers to go elsewhere because of what they did at UND. 

More money would stop that, maybe cause more stability???

1 hour ago, jk said:

Judging by the unanimity of the comments here, I guess I'm in the minority.  I'm not close to the details, but from a distance, the state appears to be incredibly poorly managed.  In the 10 years since the oil revolution began, the state is unquestionably massively more wealthy than it had been. How they managed to turn that into a higher education funding crisis is beyond me.  

During the oil boom, higher education spending was increased to unsustainable levels.  I don't think there's much debate about that.  

Hockey is the school's flagship sport.  It should have men's and women's teams.  In addition, the school is the state's flagship university, and should have a full roster of sports.  That they are not investing in the education system after having a mountain of money dropped on their heads is embarrassing. 

Smarter posters than me have shown that most flagships sponsored fewer sports than UND.  UND was actually an outlier in Division I for how many sports it sponsored.  I believe UND will now be in line with most flagships.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jk said:

Judging by the unanimity of the comments here, I guess I'm in the minority.  I'm not close to the details, but from a distance, the state appears to be incredibly poorly managed.  In the 10 years since the oil revolution began, the state is unquestionably massively more wealthy than it had been. How they managed to turn that into a higher education funding crisis is beyond me.  

Hockey is the school's flagship sport.  It should have men's and women's teams.  In addition, the school is the state's flagship university, and should have a full roster of sports.  That they are not investing in the education system after having a mountain of money dropped on their heads is embarrassing. 

DO you want the real answer as to where the states oil money went?  I can see some funds that are untouchable because the people voted it that way.  Rainy days are here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jk said:

Sadly, Women's Hockey is not a flagship anything/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Sadly, Women's Hockey is not a flagship anything/

You hit it.  When you average 808 fans a game, there is a problem.  But no lets keep chasing bad money with bad.  It sucks that the school had to make cuts, but this is where they are at.  Leaders make hard decisions sometimes and this is why they are leaders. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

You already did that by bringing up his past position in the House of Representatives.  

I was just talking about his previous employment.  YOU brought up the political party.  

So since you are begging for a political discussion here ya go:

Before this 'political appointee from Minnesota' with zero ties to my Alma Mater and no experience running a University got his job, he was a feckless representative from Minnesota.  He was famous here for accomplishing nothing for his constituents in the 6th except marching in lock-step with a confessed and convicted boy molester Dennis Hastert.  He never crossed The Speaker and Hastert publicly stated he could count on Mark.  I don't blame him for the budget shortfall, that goes to the representatives in Bismarck who spent the last 8 years cutting taxes and increasing spending during the bumper years, and immediately started cutting the first time the oil money slowed down.  Anyone who has a has a problem with the actual cutting of the program needs to have a conversation with your state representatives if you think this should be  priority.  

No MafiaMan, I hold him responsible to the manner in which the women and coaches found out.  And to the the top recruit who was visiting. I find the situation bizarre that I knew via Twitter while the women were on the ice. That was an embarrassment to the University.  

But I suppose "since he is a Republican, you think nothing he does could ever be wrong".

I personally long for the days when they appointed qualified people who had a connection to My University and not appointed for the politics they espouse. But maybe I have too long of a memory in this day and age of hyper-partisanship. 

And don't you dare say I made it political, you brought up his political party and accused me of being partisan.  That would just make you an internet troll and a hypocrite.

As I said before, I was trying to remain civil.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Maybe I'm too far away from it, or maybe you guys are too close to it.  To people not there,  it looks like a Mickey mouse operation.  Just completely embarrassing.  Und is a hockey school, it should have both programs. 

Almost all college sports programs are money losers.  Track, swimming, etc.  Everything but select football,  basketball and a few hockey programs.  But schools still have them because it's part of being a major university.   Especially in their headline sports.  Like hockey at UND.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jk said:

Maybe I'm too far away from it, or maybe you guys are too close to it.  To people not there,  it looks like a Mickey mouse operation.  Just completely embarrassing.  Und is a hockey school, it should have both programs. 

Almost all college sports programs are money losers.  Track, swimming, etc.  Everything but select football,  basketball and a few hockey programs.  But schools still have them because it's part of being a major university.   Especially in their headline sports.  Like hockey at UND.

Not all money losers are created equal.  Some lose a little bit of money, some a lot.  Women's hockey hemorrhaged money. 

OK, I put this out on twitter too, so here is something that just dawned on me.  I would put money on it that someone in the WCHA leaked this to the writer in Wisc. for some ill will  from the men basically being a part the breakup of the old WCHA.  Just putting in my 2 cents on why a guy from Wisc. breaks the story and not Brad.

• Upvote 1