SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with Sic. I'd go like this:

C -- Pogo, A -- Olson, A -- Simo, A -- Wolanin, A -- Gersich and JJ as a wildcard to get a letter

I'd like to see Cam get a letter, too. Just seems like he's always been such a calming influence on our team.

If Pogo graduates this spring and stays to play next season, can't he take Music Appreciation, Basket Weaving, Humanities I, etc. and just hustle girls as a full-time (and eligible) student?

6 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

If Pogo graduates this spring and stays to play next season, can't he take Music Appreciation, Basket Weaving, Humanities I, etc. and just hustle girls as a full-time (and eligible) student?

You're correct. Just because he's accumulated the credits to graduate doesn't mean you have to leave.. As long as he maintains a full time credit load, usually 12, he's considered a full time student. He can work on a second degree or minor. When I was in college, I had a buddy that played for the basketball team and graduated with a dual major and a minor. Clearly could have graduated earlier with one degree but stayed.

32 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Tucker will not be easy to replace

True; however, the last five, no, six, no, almost seven periods of hockey this season were against top 8 teams away from REA without Tucker and we played them even*. 

*There. I said it. Now what. 

22 hours ago, UNDSioux23 said:

This is a tough roster to predict....Assuming the Caps don't need Gersich yet, Wilkie signs with Fla, and Tomek bounces....here is my prediction:

Gersich - Kawaguchi - Bowen
Yon - Hoff - Poganski
Janatuinen - Gardner - Simonson
Olson - Gornall - Mismash

Bast - Poolman
Kiersted - Wolanin
Peski - Johnson

Johnson
Thome
Anderson

Looks to me like depth will be a big asset next year.  N. Jones should see significant minutes along with C. Adams.

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with Sic. I'd go like this:

C -- Pogo, A -- Olson, A -- Simo, A -- Wolanin, A -- Gersich and JJ as a wildcard to get a letter

I'd like to see Cam get a letter, too. Just seems like he's always been such a calming influence on our team.

I see on Twitter that Cam has posted that the campaign to name him captain has started!

Answering my own question:

Rule 6 - Captain and Alternate Captains

6.1 Captain - One game captain shall be appointed by each team, and shall be the only player to have the privilege of discussing with the referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules that may arise during the progress of a game. The captain should wear the letter “C,’’ approximately 3 inches in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of the jersey. The referee and official scorer shall be advised before the start of each game of the name of the captain of the team and the designated alternate.

6.2 Alternate Captain - If the captain is not available because of injury or an imposed penalty, another player may be designated to act as captain.

6.3 Captain’s Privileges - The captain may not dispute a judgment decision of the referee.

PENALTY—Misconduct. For further violation, game misconduct.

A goalkeeper shall not be entitled to exercise the privileges of captain. The captain of each team shall meet with the referee before the start of each game (82.2). During an altercation, the captain may not exercise his or her privileges until the referee has entered the referees’ crease. 

He might wear the "C" but per NCAA rule book Rule 6, "A goalkeeper shall not be entitled to exercise the privileges of captain." 

I suspect the key word is "exercise". 

I bet one of the "A" does all of the zebra whispering. 

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He might wear the "C" but per NCAA rule book Rule 6, "A goalkeeper shall not be entitled to exercise the privileges of captain." 

I suspect the key word is "exercise". 

I bet one of the "A" does all of the zebra whispering. 

I was thinking that Karl Goehring wore the C his senior year, even though he couldn't officially act as the team captain. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PCM said:

I was thinking that Karl Goehring wore the C his senior year, even though he couldn't officially act as the team captain. 

He did one year, but if I recall correctly he gave it up after a while as it was difficult to act as a captain and play the position.  it's been a long time, though, so someone feel free to correct me.

1 hour ago, dagies said:

He did one year, but if I recall correctly he gave it up after a while as it was difficult to act as a captain and play the position.  it's been a long time, though, so someone feel free to correct me.

You're correct, I remember that as well.

5 hours ago, PCM said:

Correct....although I thought maybe he gave it up at some point during the year so he could focus more on his goaltending duties.

EDIT:  Looks like I should have hit Refresh before posting this.  You guys are all over it.

Here's another crack at a potential lineup. This might not exactly have the best 6 in the Top 6, but with more thought into a lineup that will be extremely effective up and down. Unlike the first one, this includes Poganski, with the hope that he is more leaning towards coming back (per Schlossman).

Gersich - Kawaguchi - Adams (Yon / Wilkie)

Poganski - Gardner - Mismash

JJ - Hoff - Bowen

Olson - Simonson - Smith

(Gornall, Jones, Wilkie, Adams or Yon)

Poolman - Shaw

Wolanin - Peski

Johnson - Bast

(Rieger, Chartrand)

You throw one or two Freshman into the fire and see how they respond with Gersich. The key to this lineup though is lines 2-4, where I have a hard time believing that many teams could match 2nd line for 2nd line, even fewer 3rd for 3rd, same with 4th for 4th. For games against teams with high powered first lines, match up UND's 2nd with them. If Poganski and Gerisch stay, this team will be very good.