SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Florida won't allow him to ride pine or take limited minutes- they will sign him and send him to the Coast

Very true, however I think he'll cut the lineup  this year. He's another year older and the speed of the game should slow down for him a bit.  This isn't a Murphy situation.  Murphy's effort level was never there and he had 1 pt in 16 games his soph year (and I actually thought he should have came back his junior year).  Wilkie has shown talent it's just super inconsistent.  He had 10 pts in 30 games last year (and should have had more, a lot of bad luck). That was more pts per game than some of the other regulars.

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Florida won't allow him to ride pine or take limited minutes- they will sign him and send him to the Coast

If he can't make the top 12 on our team, the best place he should be is at UND getting an education.

• Upvote 1

Let me go a completely different direction: 

Chartrand. 

If they went with what looks like 16-7-3 (26), they'd still have Dixon Bowen, who played a lot of D in Penticton, as an eight defender if needed. 

I put this out there because on paper this '17-'18 team's strong suit right now is G (if Cam is healthy) and D (that Core 5). 

Running with 16Fs and having guys know it is ... (wait for it, I'm about to channel my inner Blaiser) ... 

SKATE OR SIT

... it should be better for the offense. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Murphy's effort level was never there and he had 1 pt in 16 games his soph year (and I actually thought he should have came back his junior year).  

Did he leave or was he offered the opportunity to explore other programs. 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You know I dont really know.  I've heard (rumor only) that school was an issue as was partying.  But only a rumor.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You know I dont really know.  I've heard (rumor only) that school was an issue as was partying.  But only a rumor.

I don't know, and I really don't care (as it's none of my business). I'm just saying don't assume either; every situation is different and I believe the coaching staff will do the right thing. 

• Upvote 1

Next year is going to be awesome. I see this being a big bodied, deep team, that wears down the opponents.

Gersich had a break out season and while he will get more attention next season, I don't see his production falling off. (Shane needs to channel his inner Broten and bring the Hobey back to GF)

I expect Cam to be back to Sophmore year form, mainly because he has another year of experience, and I expect our D to tighten up a bit. We had a young group to start the year, and they look far better by the end of the season. Cam is solid goalie, but tends to get beat on cross ice passes; this is where I think the D will step it up next season. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tomek, I think the skill is there. Hopefully he sticks it out to continue to learn and develop.

17-18 Seniors

-Pogo: Would like to see him take that next step and have a Brad Malone type senior year.

-Olson: Pick up where you left off. Kid came alive in March and played really well. Not going to be a super flash player, but another big body that can wear people down.

-Simonson: Hope to see him take another step forward as a senior.

17-18 Juniors

Gardner: Big body, going to grind down the opposition. Hope to see him break out on the score sheet even more. Muscle your way into the crease.

Gersich: Hobey! Hobey! Hobey! Olympics?!?! Captain America?!?!?! 

Gornall: Just keep hitting guys through the glass

JJ: Though this guys played great as a sophmore, hope to see him progress into his Jr year, just as he did into his So. year.

Shaw: I though he was once of our better defenseman this year, and needs to assume a big leadership role with Tucker gone. Be the captain of the defense and take a vocal role. 

Wilkie: It was nice to see him get that goal, but he better start putting up some numbers, or make sure his suit is dry cleaned ever week. The potential is there, but there is some high end talent coming in that could keep Wilkie in the stands.

Wolanin: Which player are we going to get each night? Kid has played brilliant at times; and had you screaming at the TV at other times. Would like to see him hold the zone better, but I really like watching him step up into the play, and flash some offense too. Goal against BU was brilliant.

17-18 Sophmores

Jost: .... oh wait :(

Bowen: Primed for a breakout season. Maybe not Gersich type numbers, but I expect to see a spike in production.

Hoff: Steady contributor. I hope to see production like what we some from JJ.

Poolman: Keep doing what you are doing. Very nice freshman season.

Johnson: Big body defenseman. I'd like to see some more physical play, and see him hold the zone a little better. Could have a nice sophomore season, and should get more minutes.

Smith: This kid is going to tick people off. I don't want to see too many dumb penalties, but if you needed anyone on this team to rough someone up. Cole is your guy. Really enjoyed watching him play down the stretch.

Peski: IMO the most improved defenseman, if not player, on the team over the course of the season. He certainly showed some rookie mistakes early, but looked very comfortable by the end of the season. 

Yon: Kid has a shot, but needs to hit the net. Hope he gets more opportunities next season, and takes advantage of them.

I don't know who all is coming in, but definitely excited for Mismash, Kawaguchi and Adams. I don't see this team struggling to score like we did this year. Which sound weird since we lose Boeser and Jost, but I think this will be a far deeper team. Time to tie Michigan on National Titles, and if this team is going to be deep next year, they "could be" scary deep the following year.

2018 NCHC Regular Season Champions

2018 NCHC Tournament Champions (Has to happen sometime, right?)

2018 NCAA Champions

2018 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Gersich)

....It'll happen ;) 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

sooo are we going to lose anyone with this Olympic mess?

I have to think the only possibility would be Gersich, and I still think that could be a long shot depending who the Olympic team can/wants to target. Would have been more potential for Poolman or Boeser if they stayed. 

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Next year is going to be awesome. I see this being a big bodied, deep team, that wears down the opponents.

Gersich had a break out season and while he will get more attention next season, I don't see his production falling off. (Shane needs to channel his inner Broten and bring the Hobey back to GF)

I expect Cam to be back to Sophmore year form, mainly because he has another year of experience, and I expect our D to tighten up a bit. We had a young group to start the year, and they look far better by the end of the season. Cam is solid goalie, but tends to get beat on cross ice passes; this is where I think the D will step it up next season. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tomek, I think the skill is there. Hopefully he sticks it out to continue to learn and develop.

17-18 Seniors

-Pogo: Would like to see him take that next step and have a Brad Malone type senior year.

-Olson: Pick up where you left off. Kid came alive in March and played really well. Not going to be a super flash player, but another big body that can wear people down.

-Simonson: Hope to see him take another step forward as a senior.

17-18 Juniors

Gardner: Big body, going to grind down the opposition. Hope to see him break out on the score sheet even more. Muscle your way into the crease.

Gersich: Hobey! Hobey! Hobey! Olympics?!?! Captain America?!?!?! 

Gornall: Just keep hitting guys through the glass

JJ: Though this guys played great as a sophmore, hope to see him progress into his Jr year, just as he did into his So. year.

Shaw: I though he was once of our better defenseman this year, and needs to assume a big leadership role with Tucker gone. Be the captain of the defense and take a vocal role. 

Wilkie: It was nice to see him get that goal, but he better start putting up some numbers, or make sure his suit is dry cleaned ever week. The potential is there, but there is some high end talent coming in that could keep Wilkie in the stands.

Wolanin: Which player are we going to get each night? Kid has played brilliant at times; and had you screaming at the TV at other times. Would like to see him hold the zone better, but I really like watching him step up into the play, and flash some offense too. Goal against BU was brilliant.

17-18 Sophmores

Jost: .... oh wait :(

Bowen: Primed for a breakout season. Maybe not Gersich type numbers, but I expect to see a spike in production.

Hoff: Steady contributor. I hope to see production like what we some from JJ.

Poolman: Keep doing what you are doing. Very nice freshman season.

Johnson: Big body defenseman. I'd like to see some more physical play, and see him hold the zone a little better. Could have a nice sophomore season, and should get more minutes.

Smith: This kid is going to tick people off. I don't want to see too many dumb penalties, but if you needed anyone on this team to rough someone up. Cole is your guy. Really enjoyed watching him play down the stretch.

Peski: IMO the most improved defenseman, if not player, on the team over the course of the season. He certainly showed some rookie mistakes early, but looked very comfortable by the end of the season. 

Yon: Kid has a shot, but needs to hit the net. Hope he gets more opportunities next season, and takes advantage of them.

I don't know who all is coming in, but definitely excited for Mismash, Kawaguchi and Adams. I don't see this team struggling to score like we did this year. Which sound weird since we lose Boeser and Jost, but I think this will be a far deeper team. Time to tie Michigan on National Titles, and if this team is going to be deep next year, they "could be" scary deep the following year.

2018 NCHC Regular Season Champions

2018 NCHC Tournament Champions (Has to happen sometime, right?)

2018 NCAA Champions

2018 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Gersich)

....It'll happen ;) 

I like your optimism! 

My biggest concern with Gersich is he really tailed off at the end of this season...only scored 3 goals (and only 2 assists) in the last 14 games of the season.  I don't see him hitting 20+ goals next season. 

Pogo on the other hand could definitely improve his 12-13-25 line from last season.  Malone put up 40 points his senior year, and I think that should be Pogo's target...something along the lines of 15-18 goals and 22-25 assists. 

North Dakota went from 162 goals in 2015-2016 to 127 in 2016-2017.  With Pogo returning, I see next year's squad scoring something in the range of 135-140 goals and allowing somewhere around 85-90 goals.  Those numbers would be quite similar to the 2014-2015 squad (138 goals scored; 94 goals against). 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not sure what the school's take on it was..but he ended up transferring to Arizona State and redshirted his Junior year then played most of this season before leaving and going to the ECHL

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

If you listen to this podcast, you will see that leaving was a decision by the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let me go a completely different direction: 

Chartrand. 

If they went with what looks like 16-7-3 (26), they'd still have Dixon Bowen, who played a lot of D in Penticton, as an eight defender if needed. 

I put this out there because on paper this '17-'18 team's strong suit right now is G (if Cam is healthy) and D (that Core 5). 

Running with 16Fs and having guys know it is ... (wait for it, I'm about to channel my inner Blaiser) ... 

SKATE OR SIT

... it should be better for the offense. 

If Chartrand left I would think they would just bring in another defenseman like Kiersted. Bowen was very solid at forward and should be in the lineup night in and night out. It is nice that he can play defense if you have a few injuries but I don't think you would want to take the chance of him being your 8th defenseman.

There was a good sit down and cheer where they talked about this system and costs which where quite high BEFORE they lost the revenue of a tenant.

i don't think cutting women's helps the REA.

REA would have to purchase the projection system.    REA lost a customer in women's hockey. 

So no the "savings" to the University Athletic department would not be used to purchase the REA an on ice projection system.

• Upvote 1