SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They carried 26 like usual last year, but not in the normal way. Historically it's been 15-8-3; last year was 14-8-4.

Schlossman says 4 forwards coming in. They carried 14 last year; historically they carry 15. Boeser and Jost are gone. That's 3 slots at most; yet the claim is 4 coming in.

The math at defense works: Schlossman says 2 coming; two are gone.

Hrynkiw is gone; assume Thome in. 

So to me the question is what else happens at forward and goal to get to 26 slot roster. Then again, 26 is an assumption.

Gotta think the scratches for the BU game are the likely players to be bounced...have to think that Wilkie is on some scholarship and not "earning" it (sorry kid)...Yon and Smith are likely "books" scholarship players...

Should Chartrand depart, would they use that slot for another forward and go 16-7-3? 

I say that because Dixon Bowen played a lot of defense in Pentiction. He'd be the insurance against injury if they ran just 7 D for a season. 

Decisions, decisions. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Should Chartrand depart, would they use that slot for another forward and go 16-7-3? 

I say that because Dixon Bowen played a lot of defense in Pentiction. 

Decisions, decisions. 

I'd go another D...we are deep up front

Some of these low minute guys- the undrafted, un-pedigreed variety might just stick around as practice guys and get a game here and there while being part of the team, going to school and doing what Ralph Cox says is the reason he wanted to play college hockey

I'm locked in to a 26-man roster mindset. That number is not an NCAA number; the NCAA number is 30-man roster max. Historically UND has gone with 26; even this year carrying 4 goalies they went 26 (and short a forward). 

I don't expect them to go over 26 in the current environment. 

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm locked in to a 26-man roster mindset. That number is not an NCAA number; the NCAA number is 30-man roster max. Historically UND has gone with 26; even this year carrying 4 goalies they went 26 (and short a forward). 

I don't expect them to go over 26 in the current environment. 

agree- they will stay at 26

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

So then........

Guch with Gersich and Pogo

Gardner with Adams and Mishmash

Bowen with Jones and Olson

Simo with Hoff and JJ

Gornall and Smith rotate in for grit

Yon and Wilkie fight for ice or move on

I'm not sure why Yon would have to fight for ice or move on, I thought he was playing pretty good this year. I was wondering why he wasn't in the line-up, injured? I can't remember 

11 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I'm not sure why Yon would have to fight for ice or move on, I thought he was playing pretty good this year. I was wondering why he wasn't in the line-up, injured? I can't remember 

He was injured late in the year, didn't go on the trip out to Western Michigan, but came back later, but the bottom of the lineup just fluctuated a lot at the end of the year.

I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer Yon over guys like Gornall and Smith, but others prefer those two over others. That's not to say I don't like those two players, just if I had to pick... I prefer speed over size. 

Yon is a solid hockey player, but he is stuck between roles here.   He isn't an elite scorer at this level, and he isn't physical enough to play that game.  He's a great player, he plays a top 6 game, but he isn't top 6 talent, and he is marginal bottom 6.

7 hours ago, Irish said:

An interesting analysis - I certainly buy into your premise that our PP has under performed for years,  especially given our talent, and has cost us when playing better teams or in tournaments.  I'm not sure I buy your conclusion, however.  In watching our power play you see very little bing bing passing for goals and very few back doors.  What you see is endless passing around the perimeter - and not crisp passing either.  Players spend a lot of time stick handling or teeing up the puck which allows the defense to cover easily and often results in a shot into someones pads or losing the zone when pressed.     Goals we do score are often shots that somehow make it through from the perimeter.  Last year, for example, we had guys with mad passing skills.  Why we continue to P*** around with the puck out front is a mystery.  

I would really appreciate more discussion on the Power Play (or lack thereof) - It's been killing us for years.  What gives with all of the P****** around out front and no sharp passing?

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He was injured late in the year, didn't go on the trip out to Western Michigan, but came back later, but the bottom of the lineup just fluctuated a lot at the end of the year.

I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer Yon over guys like Gornall and Smith, but others prefer those two over others. That's not to say I don't like those two players, just if I had to pick... I prefer speed over size. 

Agree with Yzerman in having heavy lineups when necessary and more speed and skill when needed.  I love the energy and speed when both Yon and Bowen are together, and if Hoff is in with them, that line can fly.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you want to fly you put Gersich with Hoff and Bowen. 

And I actually believe Bowen would be responsible enough at pivot to play that...I just think that Gersich needs to play with a higher end playmaker than either Hoff or Bowen...I think the Guch might be that

My top line.....Rhett-Mismash-Pogo

Other lines can form as they please, but Simo-Olson-Smith was one of the best lines at the end of the year.  They played a lot against other team's top units and even found their way on the score sheet.

Plus Olson said for sure on twitter that he is coming back!!!!!  No word on Simo or Smith, but I've got sources that say expect them on campus next fall....;)

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My top line.....Rhett-Mismash-Pogo

Other lines can form as they please, but Simo-Olson-Smith was one of the best lines at the end of the year.  They played a lot against other team's top units and even found their way on the score sheet.

Plus Olson said for sure on twitter that he is coming back!!!!!  No word on Simo or Smith, but I've got sources that say expect them on campus next fall....;)

Smith really came on at the end of the year.  His length and physicality was effective at the end of the season.

47 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I'm not, not after what happened at TC. Right now they're almost equal to the goofers in my eyes

Agreed. I'm excited to play them next year after they graduate 7 seniors. I'm rooting for Harvard this year.

• Upvote 2