SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My top line.....Rhett-Mismash-Pogo

Other lines can form as they please, but Simo-Olson-Smith was one of the best lines at the end of the year.  They played a lot against other team's top units and even found their way on the score sheet.

Plus Olson said for sure on twitter that he is coming back!!!!!  No word on Simo or Smith, but I've got sources that say expect them on campus next fall....;)

RPM line...that combo is the college version of the old Flyers Legion of Doom

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

RPM line...that combo is the college version of the old Flyers Legion of Doom

There will be some penalty minutes, but imagine having to play against that line.  Admittedly don't know much about Mishmash, but Schloss said he plays with an edge.

1. RPM

2. Bowen-Janatuinen-Gersich 

3. Hoff-Wilkie-Kawaguchi

4.  Simo-Smith-Olson

Call me stupid (I am), but I think Wilkie takes off next year if he is back.  And if he doesn't then Gornall, Adams, or Jones is there.  

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There will be some penalty minutes, but imagine having to play against that line.  Admittedly don't know much about Mishmash, but Schloss said he plays with an edge.

1. RPM

3. Hoff-Wilkie-Kawaguchi

4.  Simo-Smith-Olson

Call me stupid (I am), but I think Wilkie takes off next year if he is back.  And if he doesn't then Gornall, Adams, or Jones is there.  

Like what you got here except.......

You know if people keep saying "next year" is Wilkie's year enough and it happens you all look like geniuses but if it doesn't...well.

I'll make no excuses for it but I'm a Gornall guy...especially over Wilkie. 

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You know if people keep saying "next year" is Wilkie's year enough and it happens you all look like geniuses but if it doesn't...well.

Wilkie just befuddles me.  All that success in the USHL with a 35 goal season and almost a point per game average his last year in Nebraska (66 penalty minutes) and then at UND he can't score....

Like I said, I'm wrong a lot, and Wilkie will probably be in a suit more often than not because Gornall works his sack off every shift.  I'm probably selling Adams and Jones short as well.  Both will get a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wilkie just befuddles me.  All that success in the USHL with a 35 goal season and almost a point per game average his last year in Nebraska (66 penalty minutes) and then at UND he can't score....

Like I said, I'm wrong a lot, and Wilkie will probably be in a suit more often than not because Gornall works his sack off every shift.  I'm probably selling Adams and Jones short as well.  Both will get a chance. 

Wilkie did a lot of things not on the score sheet, he did things to get his line mates open to score goals.

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Wilkie did a lot of things not on the score sheet, he did things to get his line mates open to score goals.

There must be something going on here that Bubs doesn't like.  More than the lack of goal scoring because his production was greater than both yon and Bowen. I'm guessing it's work ethic.

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I agree with you.  You just have to remember that some on this forum have to consistently mock players on the team...someone's getting it no matter what. Its one thing to call out a player for making a bonehead play its another to never let off the entire season.

Im just hoping both pogo (and the others that have offers) all stay.  I really like the look of next year's team. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

1. RPM

3. Hoff-Wilkie-Kawaguchi

4.  Simo-Smith-Olson

I want to see Guch with Gersich. 

Gotta believe that Adams will be a regular...he's a strong producer in the USHL and an NHL draft pick.  I also worry that there isn't a true offensive playmaker on that Legion of Doom line.  

In fact, that is likely our biggest weakness on the team next year- a lack of top-end playmaker, pass-first kinda guy...maybe Guch fits that.  

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm with you maybe he somehow finds a way to do things he hasn't in his first 2 years but with what I've seen of him I'm not real hopeful. If we have 15 forwards next year and he is still around he would be forward number 15 for me. Olson, Simonson, Bowen, Yon, Hoff, Gornall, and Smith have already showed multiple times they add more to the lineup than Wilkie. He has had plenty of opportunities and hasn't done anything with them I'd rather give freshman those opportunities than going back to him and hoping he figures it out. He definitely shouldn't have been getting powerplay time like he was for parts of this last season.  

For sure top 6:  Pogo, Gersich, Gardner (these guys will play)

Incoming recruits with top 6 potential:  Mishmash, Guch, Adams (these guys will play minutes until they prove they can't)

Earned lineup spots last year:  Bowen, Olson, Hoff, JJ, Simo (hard to sit any of these guys)

Fighting for ice:  Yon, Wilkie, Smith, Gornall, Jones (all bring something to the table, where do they fit)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

For sure top 6:  Pogo, Gersich, Gardner (these guys will play)

Incoming recruits with top 6 potential:  Mishmash, Guch, Adams (these guys will play minutes until they prove they can't)

Earned lineup spots last year:  Bowen, Olson, Hoff, JJ, Simo (hard to sit any of these guys)

Fighting for ice:  Yon, Wilkie, Smith, Gornall, Jones (all bring something to the table, where do they fit)

Gersich needs a playmaker - mishmash will be a star along with Adams but all are LWS so we have 3 stud LWs where does that put JJ?

Gersich  Guch Pogo

mismash   Gardner  olson

Adams   Hoff    Bowen

JJ    Simo   Gornall

Smith still raw    Wilkie struggles    Jones unknown

5 dmen  set need one more     love Wolanin Poolman and Peskie

What they appear to be lacking next year and have had for several years now is a possession player.   Both Boeser and Jost fit that bill, but Gersich does not.  Jost was on his way to being Toews-like in his ability to keep others off the puck.  

8 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Poganski?

I like Poganski, but as big and skilled as he is, he doesn't have close to the possession skills Boeser, Jost an Toews had.   Kristo had pretty good possession skills too. 

6 minutes ago, burd said:

I like Poganski, but as big and skilled as he is, he doesn't have close to the possession skills Boeser, Jost an Toews had.   Kristo had pretty good possession skills too. 

I didn't mean Poganski was on the level of those guys but he's very much a possession player as you said that we don't have any next year.  Pogo was straight-up dominant along the boards this past year when it came to possession.  If he comes back(sounds like he is), I look forward to the strides he can make in the point production area of the game.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I didn't mean Poganski was on the level of those guys but he's very much a possession player as you said that we don't have any next year.  Pogo was straight-up dominant along the boards this past year when it came to possession.  If he comes back(sounds like he is), I look forward to the strides he can make in the point production area of the game.

Got it.   You're right. 

UND ran a 26-man roster last year (like usual). I doubt that'll change going forward. 

What was unusual was it was 14-8-4 (F-D-G) not the usual 15-8-3. 

So Pogo and Gersich and Cam are going to stay. 

That means 5 known departures (1G, 2F, 2D).

The goalie departure returns that category to 3 (meaning back to 15 forwards). If Tomek leaves, Thome comes. That's a 1-for-1 swap. 

Schlossman thinks 4F and 2D are coming. The D is a 2-for-2 swap. 

But bringing in 4 but only losing 2 (plus the open slot if they go back to 3 goalies) means there's a "16th" forward. I don't recall that at all this century. It makes me wonder. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND ran a 26-man roster last year (like usual). I doubt that'll change going forward. 

What was unusual was it was 14-8-4 (F-D-G) not the usual 15-8-3. 

So Pogo and Gersich and Cam are going to stay. 

That means 5 known departures (1G, 2F, 2D).

The goalie departure returns that category to 3 (meaning back to 15 forwards). If Tomek leaves, Thome comes. That's a 1-for-1 swap. 

Schlossman thinks 4F and 2D are coming. The D is a 2-for-2 swap. 

But bringing in 4 but only losing 2 (plus the open slot if they go back to 3 goalies) means there's a "16th" forward. I don't recall that at all this century. It makes me wonder. 

Wilkie?