SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Boston U. - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

26 minutes ago, hky said:

They didn't need indisputable evidence to prove he was onsides.  It was called a goal on the ice.  They needed indisputable evidence that he was offsides and if they have to go that far back, and take that long it couldn't have been indisputable.  Yes, the Sioux had plenty of chances to win that game, but I think the call after the review is wrong.

And they could give a $HIT less if it was!!!!

little10 ref: let's say it's offsides and hope BU scores, we don't want Ohio, if they win, playing the Sioux cuz the Sioux will kill them!

other ref: I AGREE!

Just able to put some thoughts together now from yesterday's game:

• Thanks to Duluth for the great seats down low, just off Oettinger's glove hand side.
  • The atmosphere in Scheels yesterday was electric.  There may have been a couple lulls (although that's all relative), but for the most part from puck drop to the end of the game it was nuts in there.
  • UND dominated.  Plain and simple.  They deserved a better fate.
  • It was fun watching the team control the game and move the puck like they did.  Unfortunately couldn't get 1 more past Oettinger.
  • I would love to see the time of possession.  We all know about the number of shots and saves, so that all goes without saying.  But the way UND controlled the puck and cycled it down low was a thing of beauty yesterday.
  • I understand that UMD is the #2 ranked team in the country and there's a reason for that...but if you just take yesterday's performance I think BU is going to be coming out of Fargo.  The UMD/OSU game was a JV game compared to the opener.  Yes, the atmosphere in the building was night and day, but beyond that the play on the ice between the 2 games was night and day as well.

There's more...but that's all I can muster right now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

They did show another shot that was better - it was zoomed in tighter.  Not sure if it was during post game that they showed it.

Showed what? Conclusive evidence?

50 minutes ago, FSSD said:

They did show another shot that was better - it was zoomed in tighter.  Not sure if it was during post game that they showed it.

The only other shot I saw was them trying to freeze frame two angles together.  It did not show offsides and the announcer said twice, "that the picture on the right should be a frame back."  Even ESPN couldn't get a solid angle. 

I've seen a few questions about Cam in the game, not moving side-to-side well enough.  Just my opinion, but no one's getting over on those two back door plays.  Really the only one Cam had a chance on was the breakaway, and just reading that tells you all you need to know.  The one in tight in the third, there were five Sioux players packed down low, but no one picked up the guy in front of the net.  I guess they were maybe out of practice playing defense, since BU hadn't touched the puck much in the game to that point.

About those cross-ice back door plays.  The winner didn't look dissimilar to the Schmaltz/Caggiula title game goal.  Schmaltz was looping in the other direction, but the pass got sent from a similar spot.  I believe it was Simpson in the FF game against MN who sniffed out several of those plays, especially when MN was on a PP.  Just got his stick in the passing lane at the last minute.  It reminded me of how Leopold was able to break that play up a lot of years earlier.  Anyway, that play is made by a savvy defenseman reading it, not by athleticism (though it doesn't hurt of course).  It makes me wonder if UND's best defenseman, with the longest reach, might have seen those coming and gotten a stick in the way.

I still think the most amazing thing about that game is the absence of garbage goals.  Not one.  After 145+67 shot attempts.  (Bowen's would have been.) 

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Yup- when you need super slow motion and multiple cameras and after 14 minutes conclude it was offsides by the smallest of possible margins- seems like indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the ice...especially on a zone entry well before the goal

Complete horseshit when you think about it but when I think of refs and sports I don't have a positive association. It's just what refs do. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them regardless of conference affiliation. 

2 minutes ago, jk said:

I've seen a few questions about Cam in the game, not moving side-to-side well enough.  Just my opinion, but no one's getting over on those two back door plays.  Really the only one Cam had a chance on was the breakaway, and just reading that tells you all you need to know.  The one in tight in the third, there were five Sioux players packed down low, but no one picked up the guy in front of the net.  I guess they were maybe out of practice playing defense, since BU hadn't touched the puck much in the game to that point.

About those cross-ice back door plays.  The winner didn't look dissimilar to the Schmaltz/Caggiula title game goal.  Schmaltz was looping in the other direction, but the pass got sent from a similar spot.  I believe it was Simpson in the FF game against MN who sniffed out several of those plays, especially when MN was on a PP.  Just got his stick in the passing lane at the last minute.  It reminded me of how Leopold was able to break that play up a lot of years earlier.  Anyway, that play is made by a savvy defenseman reading it, not by athleticism (though it doesn't hurt of course).  It makes me wonder if UND's best defenseman, with the longest reach, might have seen those coming and gotten a stick in the way.

I still think the most amazing thing about that game is the absence of garbage goals.  Not one.  After 145+67 shot attempts.  (Bowen's would have been.) 

Proper positional play dictates that a sleeper dman is the responsibility of the weak side winger

• Upvote 1

A couple things,

1.  After the security checkpoint I gave the ticket taker my Fan Fest ticket as I thought that's what they were wanting at that point.  She scanned it and I walked in.  I thought that was odd after I got in there and realized how it was laid out.  That might be something they might want to look into for next time as that could be exploited if the word got out.

2.  Stay classy OSU.  It was pretty clear to me they didn't send their tickets they didn't sell back to Scheel's Arena.  I understand not wanting to sell to Sioux fans and wanting to give their own people every opportunity to get their school's allotment, but it's pretty lame they would rather have rows of empty seats in their section instead of a full building to potentially watch their team play.  Seems pretty counter-productive to what the mission of an athletic department should be.

13 hours ago, NDinCO said:

I'd like to give a tip-of-the-hat to Berry and staff. He is a class act demonstrated by his post-game presser - no whining, no bitching, complemented BU and couldn't talk
enough about about how proud he was of his boys. I know the PP could have been better, but really I think this team overachieved, and they were peaking at the right time. 
They were very young and lost a lot of studs from last year. Other teams were in the same boat and where are they? (see QU, BC and Michigan). I think it's a credit to the 
coaches instilling the Sioux tradition of excellence into a young team that got them to a high level, where other programs would have failed.    

Good post.

• Upvote 3