SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Boston U. - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I'll say most of the team is gone including the goalie.

That's what I said. So 8 guys are leaving after this yr?

They were just thankful for the win. Said last yrs team had to fly home on a 7am commercial flight cuz the coaches were so pissed how they played.

Ran into some other guys in the elevator. Told them they couldnt get in unless they admitted the overturned goal was garbage...haha. They didnt argue.

They were very surprised Tucker didn't play based on how they saw him practice

• Upvote 1

So it's 5 am and I can't quite get to sleep.   Keep replaying the game, the key moments.   

Torn between a strong admiration for the effort from UND boys vs BU and the what ifs.... just one post, one bounce, what if Hoff had just held his leg back instead of taking a stride, what is the definition of indisputable evidence, and so on.

Seems like this happens about every 5 years.  Last time was 2011 v Michigan.  Before that 2006 vs BC in Milwaukee.  The games where the boys left it all on the ice, outperformed the opponent but the scoreboard contradicts what reality should be.

Thanks boys for a great ride.  

Sleep will come.  Eventually. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

The games where the boys left it all on the ice, outperformed the opponent but the scoreboard contradicts what reality should be. 

This one might have to be at the top of the list. I'll always think of 2011 as that type of game, but the 2011 team didn't play its best game that night.  They were a better team than Michigan by a lot more than the 2016 Sioux were better than BU, but the 2016 team was absolutely at the top of its game, and outplayed BU much more than the 2011 team did Michigan.  Which makes it that much harder to take.

2004 and 2005 also come to mind.  In 2004, Parise and co. outclassed Denver badly, with Denver scoring on its first shot of the third period with about three minutes left.  2005 might feel more like last night, with a shorthanded, banged up squad outplaying what might have been a more talented Denver team.  The Sioux had the puck a lot, but Denver got the bounces.

I guess they're all different.  I can't recall any other hockey games with so great a disparity between lopsided play and result as last night.

• Upvote 1

Brock will be remembered for helping UND to a NC on one of UND's all-time best lines. This year was a season of injuries and, as it appeared, being unsure if he made the right decision to come back. Nonetheless he was a favorite in our home for 2 years and his talent will lead him great things in the NHL which will begin in the next couple of days if not tonight.

• Upvote 2

I did find myself thinking in the 3rd period and OT that this is the last one we are aeeing some great players in this uniform.  

It is always bittersweet but that is one of the things we sign up for as fans of this blue chip program. 

Early exits create opportunities for underclassman and so it goes....

4 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Bowen reminds me of a young Stecher.  I love the effort that kid offers night in and night out. 

I said this exact same thing to my friend when he did a spin move to lose a BU forward and skate it out of our zone. Really hopeful for our freshmen dmen after the huge steps they took this year, last night being the pinnacle.

btw still don't believe the Bowen goal didn't count

Between the miserable Michigan loss in 2011, the heart breaker against Minn in 2014, and the BU loss 2 years ago...can you imagine if UND wouldn't have won it all last year? Is this how Denver fans felt last year when they lost? I think Denver was the better team in that game but UND found a way to win...afterwards I felt like UND stole that one. It seems like that's the way BU should be feeling if not worse, but for some reason they all seem to think they were the better team and deserved to win??? 

Dave Starman said "I think BU was much better at getting pucks to the net" yet they were outshot by over THIRTY

David Starman also said " I think BU was the better team and deserved to win. UND had 6 powerplays and didn't score once" 

BU gamewinning goal scorer "you can look at the shots or whatever, but we obviously came out on top" 

I understand the PP comment a little bit, but saying BU was the better team and deserved to win?? Did he not see the shots or watch any of the game? It was extremely lopsided in my eyes. 

Crushed after the loss last night but extremely proud about how the Sioux played.  The semi final tonight is between two teams damn lucky to be there.  Ohio State completely dominated UMD in the overtime.  

In seeing the picture they put up on the TV claiming that Hoff was offsides I just don't see it, not from that angle.  If that is clearly indisputable evidence then the standard is pretty low.  Worst part about the call is that the "offsides" had absolutely no impact on the goal.  At some point to have to rely on the official on the ice for a call like that.  He clearly waived it off and was sitting right on the line.  

Thanks to the Seniors for your dedication and hanging another banner.  I'm sure we will lose a few early but I'm excited about the group coming back.  I really love Coach Berry, Jackson, and Shaw and the attitude they bring.  Nothing better than being a fan of North Dakota Hockey.   Let's get back to work.  October is just around the corner.