SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

22 minutes ago, the green team said:

I think the conference schedule will be known long before that, but unfortunately I'm not sure any of the challenges of trying to get non-conference games has lessened.  

Like to see them go to a decent holiday tournament. 

13 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I think we will hear something soon about the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii. 

That would be nice.. although I remember the last time they played Hawaii it was a late night watching it.  Still upset they didn't complete the comeback.

If I have this right, we will only get Weber/ISU once in conference schedule and either NAU/SUU or SAC/PSU (my guess will be SAC/PSU) will be the other. It will be a step up from last years slate, especially if the Weber/ISU swing is on the road.  The Montana trip will be especially brutal this year for all teams

49 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I think we will hear something soon about the Rainbow Classic in Hawaii. 

If not mistaken, that is Hawaii's four team tournament without power schools.  Last year's Rainbow Classic had SIU-E, Texas St, Florida Atlantic and of course Hawaii.

On 5/21/2017 at 3:14 AM, darell1976 said:

Are we still doing that home/home with NDSU again this year? It would be great if the South Dakota schools would do that for the last time as non-conference opponents.

Yes, they signed a 4 year deal.

Should have signed or canned jones last year...really stupid to have lame duck coach...terrible for recruiting ...team is on a roll for signing freshman with no competing D1 offers  ...if  recruiting does not pick up the team will be a bottom feeder in the Summit in short order.   Could have signed Jones for a lot less $$$ last season...poor foresight by AD.   Was trying to save a few bucks by getting one last season out of Jones...penny wise pound foolish

2 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Should have signed or canned jones last year...really stupid to have lame duck coach...terrible for recruiting ...team is on a roll for signing freshman with no competing D1 offers  ...if  recruiting does not pick up the team will be a bottom feeder in the Summit in short order.   Could have signed Jones for a lot less $$$ last season...poor foresight by AD.   Was trying to save a few bucks by getting one last season out of Jones...penny wise pound foolish

It could be argued signing Jones last year would have/could have been a Mussman extension mistake.  Good for Jones earning an extension.  I'm sure if there is another offer out there for him he could take it.  Faison seems willing to roll those dice. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, homer said:

It could be argued signing Jones last year would have/could have been a Mussman extension mistake.  Good for Jones earning an extension.  I'm sure if there is another offer out there for him he could take it.  Faison seems willing to roll those dice. 

SOP sign or fire coach prior to final year on contract.... UND was solid 2015/2016 with everyone back the were a contender for 17...Faison decided to try and save a few bucks in hope that Jones does not get a title... Mistake in not giving him a 3 year extension in 2016... Faison put the program at risk due to impaired recruiting resulting from the coaching staff being in limbo....Signing last season would not have been a mistake ...simple SOP...Canning him last season would have been less stupid than not giving him an extension

Contracts are adjusted all the time - if they sign him a year earlier he simply asks for or gets a bonus for making tournement or some booster tosses in some dough. Really a non-issue as far as the timing of the announcement of the extension - the coaching staff, players and recruits are the only ones that need to know and probably do. 

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Contracts are adjusted all the time - if they sign him a year earlier he simply asks for or gets a bonus for making tournement or some booster tosses in some dough. Really a non-issue as far as the timing of the announcement of the extension - the coaching staff, players and recruits are the only ones that need to know and probably do. 

Bonus clause in contract for BSC titles...not adjusted all the time...Jones would have needed another feather in cap for leverage on a contract redo...Was not close to getting Drake job with current resume.....if he signed last year cheaper,smarter, and better for recruiting

8 hours ago, homer said:

It could be argued signing Jones last year would have/could have been a Mussman extension mistake. 

Could be argued not signing Jones was a reason UND went Dancing last year.

It's pretty odd that UND doesn't have an official men's basketball head coach right now.

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

Could be argued not signing Jones was a reason UND went Dancing last year.

It's pretty odd that UND doesn't have an official men's basketball head coach right now.

I believe they signed an extension through June 30.

• Upvote 1

I am wondering if the delay in signing a new contract has less to do with Faison being out and more to do with Jones trying to negotiate a better deal.  With the budget cuts affecting every decision the athletic department makes now, it wouldn't be a surprise if Faison is low balling the offer he is giving Jones.  Ironically, not signing a deal last year may end up working out in Jones favor given last seasons results!

13 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Jones said this is big time college ball and needs a big time contreact

maybe he should be incommunity more like bubba 

Can you elaborate on what specifically you think he should be doing?

Jones and his team spend quite a bit of time in the community. The MBB team just won the athletic department's Male Team Community Service Award with almost 400 hours of community service between the 15 players. Just because you might not see them out there doesn't mean they aren't there. Could they be more visible? Possibly but not really their motive. Jones and Bubba have different personalities, it is what it is, but I know there is a ton of mutual respect between the two.

• Upvote 3