SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Everyone that reads this board knows the answer to that is zero.

As I said, I'm not a fan of Jones. I have not watched live a UND basketball game for some time. I also don't make it a habit of calling for a coach to be fired after each and every loss, no matter the sport. I support the student athletes of the University of North Dakota, and don't think that I as a fan am entitled to anything.

• Upvote 1

Everyone that reads this board knows the answer to that is zero.

As I said, I'm not a fan of Jones. I have not watched live a UND basketball game for some time. I also don't make it a habit of calling for a coach to be fired after each and every loss, no matter the sport. I support the student athletes of the University of North Dakota, and don't think that I as a fan am entitled to anything.

So in your eyes Mussman should still be coaching the football team?

Lay off Darrel maggots

He is probably one of the more active posters on other boards and reps sioux nation well on the other board

Don't see you guys doing anythig

So, darrell1976 is able to outwit the likes of lakesbison and JBB on other boards? Yay! What a glowing endorsement.

Counting anything other than the NIT or the NCAAs as post season play is a joke.

CIT tries to give more visibility to Mid Major programs.  Those tournaments give a lot of programs post season experience  I don't mind the CBI or CIT.  It would be nice if UND would have hosted last year.  Again, the ultimate goal is to make the NCAA. 

CIT tries to give more visibility to Mid Major programs. Those tournaments give a lot of programs post season experience I don't mind the CBI or CIT. It would be nice if UND would have hosted last year. Again, the ultimate goal is to make the NCAA.

They're nice for experience but let's be real, it's not legit and shouldn't be used as a stat to bolster a resume.

We do this every year. We know you love Jones, I don't. 

Feel free to point out a single spot where I've said that I love Jones.  I try using some critical thinking and looking into a situation rather than just glancing at the final score to see whether UND won or lost and basing my decision on that.  There are definitely some things that make me question him but there are also a lot of other things that make me think that he deserves more time.  If you had your way, the athletic department would be buried in debt from paying contract buyouts.

• Upvote 4

Feel free to point out a single spot where I've said that I love Jones.  I try using some critical thinking and looking into a situation rather than just glancing at the final score to see whether UND won or lost and basing my decision on that.  There are definitely some things that make me question him but there are also a lot of other things that make me think that he deserves more time.  If you had your way, the athletic department would be buried in debt from paying contract buyouts.

1. I watch (listen) to games, I don't just pop up the box score.

2. How much time does he need? He has been at UND since 2006, and since joining DI has 5 OOC road wins.....FIVE! The CIT was perfectly fine when we were in the Great West, but those days are long gone. Its the Dance or nothing that matters. Who jumps up and down and says hey we didn't make the dance but we are in the CIT. Its like cheering that your team is in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and not playing in a major bowl. Its nice the players get a little more playing time but no one outside of that city your team is from cares. And if it was up to you we would still have Muss, and Jones til the end. Obviously you don't like change when change is warranted.

• Upvote 1

Its the Dance or nothing that matters. Who jumps up and down and says hey we didn't make the dance but we are in the CIT. Its like cheering that your team is in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and not playing in a major bowl. Its nice the players get a little more playing time but no one outside of that city your team is from cares.

UND plays in a 1 bid league.  Since the dance is all that matters, Jones has finished 2nd and 3rd in the conference in the regular season and made it to the semis and the finals.  I guess its unfortunate that he couldn't duct tape enough healthy players together for the game against Weber last year but I guess he's not a miracle worker.  Maybe he should have had the foresight to have Brekke wear a helmet or something since his injury left a gigantic hole that no one was able to fill.  No one was cheering about making the CIT instead of the dance, but it still gives the players another game and a little extra exposure.

And if it was up to you we would still have Muss, and Jones til the end. Obviously you don't like change when change is warranted.

Again, putting word in other people's mouth (that must be your bit?).  Mussman's time had come, but I was also realistic enough to know it wasn't going to happen in the middle of the season.  You haven't spelled out a whole lot of actual reasons why someone else would be able to come in with the resources and salary currently offered to Jones and the MBB program and be more successful.  But I guess if we fire him, that will fix everything.

If you didn't think that there was going to be some serious bumps in the road from a team that lost well over 50% of minutes and 2/3's of its scoring from last year and has 3 or 4 players playing meaningful minutes that had never set foot on the court for UND prior to the season, than you are either delusional or you don't listen/watch very closely.

• Upvote 1

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/19051-fire-brian-jones/page-5

I am not the only one who thought Jones should be gone, but yet you make it out like I am the only one. Read the entire page (zip past mine if you wish) and you will see other people's distaste for Jones except for you.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/19051-fire-brian-jones/page-5

I am not the only one who thought Jones should be gone, but yet you make it out like I am the only one. Read the entire page (zip past mine if you wish) and you will see other people's distaste for Jones except for you.

Me understanding and pointing out that he isn't going to be fired and why is not the equivalent to giving him my full support.  Critical thinking, give it a whirl instead of knee-jerk reactions.

• Upvote 1

Me understanding and pointing out that he isn't going to be fired and why is not the equivalent to giving him my full support. Critical thinking, give it a whirl instead of knee-jerk reactions.

Not saying as of Dec 1st but at the end of the year if UND doesn't have any postseason play should he be fired?

Not saying as of Dec 1st but at the end of the year if UND doesn't have any postseason play should he be fired?

Should he?  My personal opinion, I don't know, we'll see how the season progresses.  Any sort of postseason play (outside of the Big Sky tournament) would be overachieving based on preseason polls.  Even making the Big Sky tournament would exceed where the team was picked, but I fully expect them to make the tournament. 

Will he?  No, assuming no off-court issues or anything along those lines.  He will be given at least this year and next year.

• Upvote 1

Should he? My personal opinion, I don't know, we'll see how the season progresses. Will he? No, assuming no off-court issues or anything along those lines. He will be given at least this year and next year.

I think people are tired of losing to teams we should beat, no signature wins, and a bid in the dance. I know the 3rd one is tough and we were close last year (WSU is very tough) but I would think the other two could get accomplished.

I think people are tired of losing to teams we should beat, no signature wins, and a bid in the dance. I know the 3rd one is tough and we were close last year (WSU is very tough) but I would think the other two could get accomplished.

Not a Jones fan, but... He is one of, if not the lowest paid DI bb coaches. He has to recruit to a team that plays third fiddle, not only to football, but to hockey during the same time of year. In your own statement, you acknowledge that UND was close to the dance last year and that WSU is very tough. Jones has an extremely difficult task. Would like to see better results, however, not sure even Ben Jacobson could do any better. Understand your frustration/impatience Darrell, but fo what he has to work with, can't see the UND administration firing Jones at this point.