SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

How long is Jones current contract? Every articcle I look up shows his contract thru the 2014-2015 season with options to extend that for another 2 years after that. If Jones and UND struggle this year, I would guess Faison would have the option to not extend the contract and let him go as opposed to firing him and paying out his contract. Do I have things right here?

How long is Jones current contract? Every articcle I look up shows his contract thru the 2014-2015 season with options to extend that for another 2 years after that. If Jones and UND struggle this year, I would guess Faison would have the option to not extend the contract and let him go as opposed to firing him and paying out his contract. Do I have things right here?

He's under contract through 2016-17. He got an extension after the 2012-13 season: http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/und-extends-contract-mens-basketball-coach

He for sure gets this year.

He will be evaluated after the year.

You mean he isn't going to get fired after taking 3rd in the conference and losing in the conference championship game? Who would have thought??

How about something that is measurable...how well will he have to perform next year to keep his job according to the good ol boys?

Coach Gameli left UND for one BIG reason....He sees what will take place after this season....Coach Jones and staff get fired for his horrible efforts as a coach. So this guy's left because he realizes Jones is done. So he followed the job security with coach Smith. New coach, guaranteed at least 5 years, sounds like job security to me!

Coach Gameli left UND for one BIG reason....He sees what will take place after this season....Coach Jones and staff get fired for his horrible efforts as a coach. So this guy's left because he realizes Jones is done. So he followed the job security with coach Smith. New coach, guaranteed at least 5 years, sounds like job security to me!

Per South Dakota law, contracts are only one year deals. Not sure where you are getting 5 from.

Barring an absolute disaster, Jones won't be fired next year.

Per South Dakota law, contracts are only one year deals. Not sure where you are getting 5 from.

Barring an absolute disaster, Jones won't be fired next year.

How do you know Jones won't get fired? Another 17-17 year and a first round loss in the CIT is not what I am looking forward to.

• Upvote 1

How do you know Jones won't get fired? Another 17-17 year and a first round loss in the CIT is not what I am looking forward to.

Common sense. Not sure what you're expecting from a team that is losing over 2/3's of its minutes played and almost 80% of its scoring, but it sounds unrealistic. I'm expecting a record right around .500 and making it into the Big Sky tournament and winning at least one game. Would I prefer better? Of course, but I can also take a look at what UND is losing and be realistic about it, something that seems to be lost on a lot of people. If Nash is someone granted a 6th year, I would definitely raise my expectations. Like I said, I think it will take an absolute disaster for Jones to be fired after this coming season.

Leading returning scorers: Hooker (4.2ppg), Stefan (3.9), Antwi (3.1). These three plus Tyler are going to need to step up in a big way along with our bigs being productive and hope that Shanks can come in at the break and be the player everyone saw in high school. Still wouldn't be surprised to see one more JuCo scorer to go along with Coleman.

Because that is the market.

What has he done at UND to deserve to be paid according to the market?

He's probably a fantastic guy, I've never met him. Possibly a great coach. However, I haven't seen results on the court to warrant a raise to anyone on our men's basketball staff that tells me we should just start handing out raises because "that's the market".

• Upvote 1

The problem with The last 2 years is the team had tons of experience with a group of guys that had been in the program for a few years and had considerable pplaying time. These guys had tons of talent and yet they could only get around a .500 record their Junior and Senior years. Sure they advanced to the tournament championship this game this year, but they deffinitely underachieved. This team was supposed to be a team that was going to win 20+ games, win some road games against some good competition, and make a tournament appearence. They failed to do any of that. Now was that all Jone's fault? Maybe. Or was it the ego of these Seniors thinking they were gonna be good and thought they were entitled to winning the Sky and making the tournament. Next year will be a very telling year for Jones future here. He won't have Huff to drop 20 points for him a night. He won't have an experienced PG in Anderson. And the rest of the guys that are leaving. 2014-2015 will be the season that either earns him a contract extension, or gets let go.

• Upvote 2

I'm just curious what people would consider the absolute minimum acceptable season record for 2014-15? I'm not really all that interested in cutting Jones too much slack for a situation largely of his own creation, i.e. losing roughly 80% of the team's scoring, but that's just my opinion.

Does he at least need to approach .500, or is something less than that acceptable in a rebuilding season?

Common sense. Not sure what you're expecting from a team that is losing over 2/3's of its minutes played and almost 80% of its scoring, but it sounds unrealistic. I'm expecting a record right around .500 and making it into the Big Sky tournament and winning at least one game. Would I prefer better? Of course, but I can also take a look at what UND is losing and be realistic about it, something that seems to be lost on a lot of people. If Nash is someone granted a 6th year, I would definitely raise my expectations. Like I said, I think it will take an absolute disaster for Jones to be fired after this coming season.

Leading returning scorers: Hooker (4.2ppg), Stefan (3.9), Antwi (3.1). These three plus Tyler are going to need to step up in a big way along with our bigs being productive and hope that Shanks can come in at the break and be the player everyone saw in high school. Still wouldn't be surprised to see one more JuCo scorer to go along with Coleman.

Shouldn't common sense be if a coach continues nothing but a .500 record there should be room for change? Or are fans going to be happy to get blown out on the road, no not to Wisconsin and Oregon but Cal Poly and Nebraska-Omaha. Last OOC road win (non tournament) was February 18th...2012, 2 years ago!!!! At LONGWOOD!!! Is that the best this guy can do? If he can't get his players pumped up to beat a team with 1 DI win (SUU) how can get a young team pumped up to play bigger games like NDSU, SDSU, and Major college teams (I assume there will be some on the schedule). .500 will be shocking and I see a 2013 Muss type team on the court. If UND starts getting blown out at home fans will stop showing up and it will take a lot to get those fans back. Just look at the work Bubba has to undo the mess that Muss left.

I'm just curious what people would consider the absolute minimum acceptable season record for 2014-15? I'm not really all that interested in cutting Jones too much slack for a situation largely of his own creation, i.e. losing roughly 80% of the team's scoring, but that's just my opinion.

Does he at least need to approach .500, or is something less than that acceptable in a rebuilding season?

If he has a winning record (overall) with this young team keep him to the end of his contract. I see maybe 10 wins if nothing changes from last season.

The flaw with this statement is that the last two seasons, with experienced teams, Jones has failed to produce better than .500 seasons. That is attributable to the inability of his teams to win out-of-conference road games. That is similar in environment to winning a Big Sky championship tournament game - something I don't ever see Jones accomplishing. Therefore, I'd rather see a new coach, who is capable of taking UND to an NCAA tournament game, hired sooner rather than later.

With lesser experience this upcoming season, the maximum output this team could have would be another 0.500 season with a loss in the Big Sky tournament. I'm not satisfied with that ceiling. And, of course, the possible low-end of this upcoming season could be very bad. I hate hoping for loses, because, well, I support UND athletics. But, I'm just not convinced Jones has what it takes.

• Upvote 1

Agree on not cutting him a whole lot of slack as there were a lot of eggs in the basket he put together. His plan came very close to working, despite a borderline absurd amount of injuries especially at the end of the year. But there is also a need to be rational that as a low mid-major, the program is going to be cyclical.

Jones is now familiar with the conference. He also used up a lot of his rope with a poor OOC record, which he saved face on by performing pretty well in conference, where it actually matters at this level. A winning record would be a surprise next year, but not out of the question. I think UND should be able to make the conference tournament. What happens after that is up in the air. This year and next will show what kind of coach Jones is. If the players continue to play as undisciplined and bi-polar as we saw on the court this year, then it is a coach problem. Still not 100% sold that it is though.

Shouldn't common sense be if a coach continues nothing but a .500 record there should be room for change? Or are fans going to be happy to get blown out on the road, no not to Wisconsin and Oregon but Cal Poly and Nebraska-Omaha. Last OOC road win (non tournament) was February 18th...2012, 2 years ago!!!! At LONGWOOD!!! Is that the best this guy can do? If he can't get his players pumped up to beat a team with 1 DI win (SUU) how can get a young team pumped up to play bigger games like NDSU, SDSU, and Major college teams (I assume there will be some on the schedule).

I'd prefer those tournament road wins you're discounting over every single game you mentioned. Just wish he had one more this year. And not sure what you mean about pumping a team up to play, I guess benching the whole starting unit and not letting them start at Wisconsin didn't send a big enough message. Not sure what more you wanted him to do. These guys have played a crazy amount of minutes over the last 4 years, if they can't get themselves up for a game by that point, there is nothing more a coach can do. I watched this team quite a bit over the last few years and I'm having a hard time putting all the blame on Jones like you are. When the executed, they were real fun to watch, the problem was that they had an tendency to not. And there were a lot of quick hooks and bench time when it happened.

.500 will be shocking and I see a 2013 Muss type team on the court. If UND starts getting blown out at home fans will stop showing up and it will take a lot to get those fans back. Just look at the work Bubba has to undo the mess that Muss left.

I don't even know what this means.

The flaw with this statement is that the last two seasons, with experienced teams, Jones has failed to produce better than .500 seasons. That is attributable to the inability of his teams to win out-of-conference road games. That is similar in environment to winning a Big Sky championship tournament game - something I don't ever see Jones accomplishing. Therefore, I'd rather see a new coach, who is capable of taking UND to an NCAA tournament game, hired sooner rather than later.

With lesser experience this upcoming season, the maximum output this team could have would be another 0.500 season with a loss in the Big Sky tournament. I'm not satisfied with that ceiling. And, of course, the possible low-end of this upcoming season could be very bad. I hate hoping for loses, because, well, I support UND athletics. But, I'm just not convinced Jones has what it takes.

I think the next year or two will fall one of two ways: 1)Better OOC record and similar conference results or 2)Similar OOC record with a regression in conference results. The disconnect between the two is too strange to continue and which way it falls will likely give an answer on what needs to happen. Granted, I think there will be an overall regression from this year (conference title game) but because of some dumb games lost this year, I think the overall record should be almost similar and the team can still have some pretty decent results. Going to take a lot of "want" from the returning guys though.

Agree on not cutting him a whole lot of slack as there were a lot of eggs in the basket he put together. His plan came very close to working, despite a borderline absurd amount of injuries especially at the end of the year. But there is also a need to be rational that as a low mid-major, the program is going to be cyclical.

Jones is now familiar with the conference. He also used up a lot of his rope with a poor OOC record, which he saved face on by performing pretty well in conference, where it actually matters at this level. A winning record would be a surprise next year, but not out of the question. I think UND should be able to make the conference tournament. What happens after that is up in the air. This year and next will show what kind of coach Jones is. If the players continue to play as undisciplined and bi-polar as we saw on the court this year, then it is a coach problem. Still not 100% sold that it is though.

I'd prefer those tournament road wins you're discounting over every single game you mentioned. Just wish he had one more this year. And not sure what you mean about pumping a team up to play, I guess benching the whole starting unit and not letting them start at Wisconsin didn't send a big enough message. Not sure what more you wanted him to do. These guys have played a crazy amount of minutes over the last 4 years, if they can't get themselves up for a game by that point, there is nothing more a coach can do. I watched this team quite a bit over the last few years and I'm having a hard time putting all the blame on Jones like you are. When the executed, they were real fun to watch, the problem was that they had an tendency to not. And there were a lot of quick hooks and bench time when it happened.

I don't even know what this means.

I love all the excuses you are giving Jones, its funny. I discounted the tournament wins because its a neutral court for both teams, UND outside the conference hasn't won on the other teams court since Feb 2012. They did win some GWC Tournament games and BSC tournament games but an actual OOC road win during the regular season was Longwood in 2012. So UND was pumped up to play one win Southern Utah at the last game of the year? Was this team pumped up against Cal Poly, Bowling Green, Omaha? When I said this could be a Muss type team look at UND's football season last year 3-8 worst team I have seen since the mid 80's and hardly any attendance. I think when this team is getting a butt kicking at home the attendance may rival NDSU's women's team.

I think the next year or two will fall one of two ways: 1)Better OOC record and similar conference results or 2)Similar OOC record with a regression in conference results. The disconnect between the two is too strange to continue and which way it falls will likely give an answer on what needs to happen. Granted, I think there will be an overall regression from this year (conference title game) but because of some dumb games lost this year, I think the overall record should be almost similar and the team can still have some pretty decent results. Going to take a lot of "want" from the returning guys though.

DI teams only (regular season)

2013-14: 1-7 (Big Sky)

2012-13 1-7 (Big Sky)

2011-12 5-10 (GWC)

2010-11 4-10 (GWC)

The 4 years our seniors played.

I hope for better OOC record

I love all the excuses you are giving Jones, its funny. I discounted the tournament wins because its a neutral court for both teams, UND outside the conference hasn't won on the other teams court since Feb 2012. They did win some GWC Tournament games and BSC tournament games but an actual OOC road win during the regular season was Longwood in 2012. So UND was pumped up to play one win Southern Utah at the last game of the year? Was this team pumped up against Cal Poly, Bowling Green, Omaha? When I said this could be a Muss type team look at UND's football season last year 3-8 worst team I have seen since the mid 80's and hardly any attendance. I think when this team is getting a butt kicking at home the attendance may rival NDSU's women's team.

What excuses am I using? That I think there is blame that can be placed on the players and not just the coach? That the team had an abnormally large amount of injuries to key players the last 3 years? That's fine if you only want to use regular season OOC games (which I stated the results were not acceptable). But previous arguments were always that they could only win at home. I'm pointing out which games are more important, and its not the ones you are focusing on.

I don't know what the team was thinking or feeling at the SUU game or any of the other games. Where is your insight coming from on whether they were "pumped up" or not? How many of the games you mentioned did you actually watch to see how pumped up they were? And fourth/fifth year seniors shouldn't need to be pumped up.

Glad you have already decided this team will be getting blown out at home before the roster for next season is even set. Guess it will save you from venturing into any of the other threads besides this one.

• Upvote 2

Well that would at least start another "legacy" for the players and Coach Jones. They could just continue on the "postseason tournament legacy" that the seniors left behind that Jones speaks so highly of. For those of you who want to continue to see underachieving, average records and results: you got it with Brian Jones. That is what you will get as long as he is here. Medocrity. Plus he just lost his ace recruiter.

• Upvote 2

Plus he just lost his ace recruiter.

I'm honestly curious because I don't know, who currently on the roster and coming in is Ahelegbe responsible for? He's only been here three years, so none of the graduating class and none of the upcoming seniors. Hooker and Crandall are the two that I would assume. Not sure on how exactly the basketball recruiting is divided up.

What excuses am I using? That I think there is blame that can be placed on the players and not just the coach? That the team had an abnormally large amount of injuries to key players the last 3 years? That's fine if you only want to use regular season OOC games. But previous arguments were always that they could only win at home. I'm pointing out which games are more important, and its not the ones you are focusing on.

I don't know what the team was thinking or feeling at the SUU game or any of the other games. Where is your insight coming from on whether they were "pumped up" or not? How many of the games you mentioned did you actually watch to see how pumped up they were? And fourth/fifth year seniors shouldn't need to be pumped up.

Glad you have already decided this team will be getting blown out at home before the roster for next season is even set. Guess it will save you from venturing into any of the other threads besides this one.

You just made the excuse this team won't have the high scoring due to minutes lost by the seniors. That means unless the "bench" players can find the bucket they better learn to rebound and play sound defense or else it is going to be a long season.

Not sure what you're expecting from a team that is losing over 2/3's of its minutes played and almost 80% of its scoring

When I can watch the game on my computer and see them getting beat by Southern Utah I can see them looking past them and into the tournament. Remember a loss to the first game in the tournament to Sac St would have kept UND OUT of the CIT. I know you want to count tournament games, but unless you can win on the road you aren't going to see a tournament game at home and its going to be tough to go to the Dance. Playing at home vs Weber St could have been our ticket to the dance, but when you have to play them at their court you are at a huge disadvantage than say a neutral court (like the SL does). All games are important but unless you win during the regular season (OOC and conference) then you aren't going to see "A" tournament game. (CIT, NIT, CBI, NCAA)

You just made the excuse this team won't have the high scoring due to minutes lost by the seniors. That means unless the "bench" players can find the bucket they better learn to rebound and play sound defense or else it is going to be a long season.

You said you aren't looking forward to a .500 record. I pointed out with what they were losing, I think something around that is a likely scenario. Where is the excuse part in that?

When I can watch the game on my computer and see them getting beat by Southern Utah I can see them looking past them and into the tournament. Remember a loss to the first game in the tournament to Sac St would have kept UND OUT of the CIT. I know you want to count tournament games, but unless you can win on the road you aren't going to see a tournament game at home and its going to be tough to go to the Dance. Playing at home vs Weber St could have been our ticket to the dance, but when you have to play them at their court you are at a huge disadvantage than say a neutral court (like the SL does). All games are important but unless you win during the regular season (OOC and conference) then you aren't going to see "A" tournament game. (CIT, NIT, CBI, NCAA)

Just want to point out UND is 10-10 on the road the last two years in Big Sky play. That's the third most wins in that time frame behind Montana and Weber. Again to my point, something will give between conference and OOC play. Too big of a disconnect.

Also want to point out that I'm in no way endorsing that Jones is the answer. I also don't have my torches and pitchforks lined up ready to go.

• Upvote 1