SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Unacceptable to lose a coach in a lateral move like this, assuming money is the reason he left.

I don't think USD is a lateral move, more like a downgrade. The last winning season by the Yotes was 2010-11 (18-15)....their last lost of that season

UND 77

USD 76 2OT GWC Title game

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=310710155

Since then 10-18, 10-20, and 12-18. Talk about a team that has done nothing since joining the SL.

I don't think USD is a lateral move, more like a downgrade. The last winning season by the Yotes was 2010-11 (18-15)....their last lost of that season

UND 77

Since then 10-18, 10-20, and 12-18. Talk about a team that has done nothing since joining the SL.

They pay more. Also, it is inevitable that they will improve.

UND 77

Which is why they fired their interim coach to allow for a search to see if they could bring Smith in.

UND 77

USD is committed to basketball. They are traditionally strong, and will likely be strong again. They are also building a new arena that will be attached to the Dakota Dome.

USD is committed to basketball. They are traditionally strong, and will likely be strong again. They are also building a new arena that will be attached to the Dakota Dome.

New buildings don't always result in titles. Minnesota Twins ;)

They did win the AL Central in 2010 so I give them a little credit with the new field.

Everyone says we need to pay our coaches more. Well that's great if you are the coach, but I believe that you have to earn that pay increase. Has Jones done eb nough at UND to keep his job....a couple GW Tournament titles and 2 top 3 finishes in the Big Sky....I would say so. HAs he done enough to earn a pay raise? I don't think so. .500 records aren't gonna make you $175,000 a year. Win a Big Sky regular season or Tournament Champioship, then you can start talking about raises.

Everyone says we need to pay our coaches more. Well that's great if you are the coach, but I believe that you have to earn that pay increase. Has Jones done eb nough at UND to keep his job....a couple GW Tournament titles and 2 top 3 finishes in the Big Sky....I would say so. HAs he done enough to earn a pay raise? I don't think so. .500 records aren't gonna make you $175,000 a year. Win a Big Sky regular season or Tournament Champioship, then you can start talking about raises.

Agree 100%

The problem with this line of thinking is that it almost guarantees continued mediocrity for the foreseeable future. When does Jones run out of rope? I would give him until the end of his current contract.

Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall and felt that, in addition to a probable increase in salary, attaching himself to Smith was a good career move. Really unfortunate for UND, as he appeared to be the only guy capable of recruiting.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it almost guarantees continued mediocrity for the foreseeable future. When does Jones run out of rope? I would give him until the end of his current contract.

The problem with firing a coach is the decision to do so has to be justified. To the coach being fired to the fanbase. I think we can all agree that Muss' firing was justufied. One needed to only look at this last season. But with Jones it's a little different. I agree that finishing with a record around .500 is deffinitely not something to brag about. Now of course we all know that UND has finished 3rd and 2nd respectively in their first 2 years in the Big Sky. Now did UND and Jones take advantage of a weak conference with their conference record to finish that high? Of course. But you are not going to fire a coach with a winning record the last 2 seasons and finishing in the top 3 of an 11 team conference. I will agree that continued mediocrity will probably not earn him a contract extension. The senior class that he has relied on over the past 4 years is gone. LEts see what he can do with these new guys.

• Upvote 1

The problem with firing a coach is the decision to do so has to be justified. To the coach being fired to the fanbase. I think we can all agree that Muss' firing was justufied. One needed to only look at this last season. But with Jones it's a little different. I agree that finishing with a record around .500 is deffinitely not something to brag about. Now of course we all know that UND has finished 3rd and 2nd respectively in their first 2 years in the Big Sky. Now did UND and Jones take advantage of a weak conference with their conference record to finish that high? Of course. But you are not going to fire a coach with a winning record the last 2 seasons and finishing in the top 3 of an 11 team conference. I will agree that continued mediocrity will probably not earn him a contract extension. The senior class that he has relied on over the past 4 years is gone. LEts see what he can do with these new guys.

While I agree that Jones is not going to be fired based upon the last two season, he doesn't have a winning record during that timeframe. UND is 33-34 in the past two years.

Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall and felt that, in addition to a probable increase in salary, attaching himself to Smith was a good career move. Really unfortunate for UND, as he appeared to be the only guy capable of recruiting.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Ahelegbe had only been on staff for 3 years. Basketball recruiting is a different animal than football, but he probably played a large part in getting Hooker and likely Crandall, both who are from the Minneapolis area. Other than that, in that time frame you have Benton and Antwi still on the roster and Shay likely takes credit for Cashman. I'd guess kind of a hodge-podge on the transfers/JuCo's.

No clue, but guessing that Oliver takes over recruiting. Some Midwest ties (from Iowa and played there as well). Hoping whoever they bring in can replace the Minneapolis ties as well.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Ahelegbe had only been on staff for 3 years. Basketball recruiting is a little strange, but he probably played a large part in getting Hooker and likely Crandal, both who are from the Minneapolis area. Other than that you have Benton and Antwi on the roster, Shay likely takes credit for Cashman.

No clue, but guessing that Oliver takes over recruiting. Some Midwest ties (from Iowa and played there as well). Hoping whoever they bring in can bring the Minneapolis ties as well.

I wonder if Broderick Powell has any interest in getting into college coaching? He's certainly got twin cities ties.

How does it almost guarantee continued mediocrity? I'd say giving a sizable raise based on current performance would be more of an indicator of allowing mediocrity to set in. Having a coach who knows he doesn't have a large salary (hence a large buyout) would seem to send reference that there is still large rooms for improvement. I will agree that if there are 3 more years of average-ness, then I don't see his contract being renewed. I think something has to give, either the OOC records gets better or the conference finishes will decline, there seems to be a weird disconnect that will tip one way or the other at some point and will point which direction Jones is headed.

How does firing a coach guarantee future success?

How does it almost guarantee continued mediocrity? I'd say giving a sizable raise based on current performance would be more of an indicator of allowing mediocrity to set in. Having a coach who knows he doesn't have a large salary (hence a large buyout) would seem to send reference that there is still large rooms for improvement. I will agree that if there are 3 more years of average-ness, then I don't see his contract being renewed. I think something has to give, either the OOC records gets better or the conference finishes will decline, there seems to be a weird disconnect that will tip one way or the other at some point and will point which direction Jones is headed.

How does firing a coach guarantee future success?

My point is that if a coach hasn't screwed up enough to get fired, but hasn't won enough to earn a raise, it will make the same average, milk-toast results likely on a perennial basis. And I am not calling for Jones' head; I think he should finish his current contract. But if we are still muddling around with a .500 or slightly better record, then I think it will be time for a change. Jones has been around long enough to be held accountable for the results (or lack thereof) on the court. And enough about "transition" and "nickname", those situations have run their course.

For those who do not think that Jones would be fired just because he finished in the top 3 of the conference two years in a row. I give you the case of Dino Gaudio. Finished in the top half of the ACC for 2 out of the 3 years and got his team to the NCAA 2nd round before being fired. Guess how his replacement fared? 4 years of turning Wake from a traditionally decent basketball school into a firepit and when that coach did get fired, they celebrated.

Will it happen here this year, probably not. Im just saying it can happen. Jones needs to get something done with this next crop, the seniors that graduated are the ones that pretty much SAVED his job and got him that extension in the first place. If not, and we do get rid of him next year, I'd strongly suggest making some phone calls to a certain assistant at the U of M that I personally think would make a good future head coach.

Keeping Jones around only further digs UND's basketball program into the ground. Assistants are not only leaving for money - they see the writing on the wall. Jones is a wounded duck. After a poor season or two, he'll likely be gone. That is unless Faison is content with being #2 or #3 in the conference. I can see next year's team finishing third, maybe even second, but they won't win the tournament. In order for that to happen, we need better coaching and players. It all starts with coaching, though.

Just get us a new coach. I personally would like to see an NCAA tournament appearance someday.

Keeping Jones around only further digs UND's basketball program into the ground. Assistants are not only leaving for money - they see the writing on the wall. Jones is a wounded duck. After a poor season or two, he'll likely be gone. That is unless Faison is content with being #2 or #3 in the conference. I can see next year's team finishing third, maybe even second, but they won't win the tournament. In order for that to happen, we need better coaching and players. It all starts with coaching, though.

Just get us a new coach. I personally would like to see an NCAA tournament appearance someday.

I certainly hope you are correct but I don't foresee us finishing in the top 1/2 of the conference next year.

I agree, if Jones's teams can't get 20 wins, beat OOC teams on the road even beat a team with 1 DI win all season this upcoming season and beyond could mimic the last seasons of Muss.