SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

First - everyone needs to take a chill pill on Jones. We are 6 games into a season with a young roster still learning to play together. Enjoy the process of watching a young team come together. Yes Texas Pan Am was bad and so was the 2nd half at Utah but this is a long season. So far other than that I have been impressed with this team considering the scoring we lost.

Second - if you expect 20 wins and NCAA or NIT every year you need to either donate more to the program or attend more games because we need more support for those things to happen more frequently. i encourage you to try that before checking box scores and calling for people's jobs. If you aren't part of the solution (support) you are part of the problem (calling for coaches jobs after a bad loss without attending any games or supporting the program). That does no good for a team 6 games into the season. If you attend games and support the program and are calling for peoples jobs i would ask how you think that helps this team get better?

I am not calling anyone out that is just my opinion.

Third- Does women's hockey seriously fly charter? I hope this is a joke.

No one said anything about winning 20 games and a berth in the NCAA/NIT every year....one year would be good.

it'll will happen one of these years. They have been extremely close and Jones is recruiting really good players into the program. I'll ask are you part of the solution or the problem? Calling for coaches jobs 6 games into a season doesn't help. Support the team by donating to the program or attending games, tell your friends to do the same. Brian Faison has a personal e-mail if you want to voice your displeasure with the coach. Voicing your opinion on here after every bad loss doesn't help the team. If you are a true UND fan take a look in the mirror and think about that.

I am not a Jones lover or hater. There are things I think he does well and other things he could improve on but he has done very well IMHO in the first two years of BSC play. If the team is a consistent top 3 conference finishers how can you argue that.

• Upvote 4

it'll will happen one of these years. They have been extremely close and Jones is recruiting really good players into the program. I'll ask are you part of the solution or the problem? Calling for coaches jobs 6 games into a season doesn't help. Support the team by donating to the program or attending games, tell your friends to do the same. Brian Faison has a personal e-mail if you want to voice your displeasure with the coach. Voicing your opinion on here after every bad loss doesn't help the team. If you are a true UND fan take a look in the mirror and think about that.

I am not a Jones lover or hater. There are things I think he does well and other things he could improve on but he has done very well IMHO in the first two years of BSC play. If the team is a consistent top 3 conference finishers how can you argue that.

You probably wish Mussman was still here, too.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Well, I am a Coaches Club member and have been for a long time.  But you are right, the more people contributing to the athletic department, the better.

The Herald sports writer doesn't think Jones is on the hot seat either:

Tom Miller, GF Herald: 
I think there is cause for some concern when you look at the road records the past few years. But Jones' finishes the past couple of seasons has bought him time. I don't think he's on the hotseat.

The Herald sports writer doesn't think Jones is on the hot seat either:

I found the question that Tom Miller answered was a bit out there....

Comment From Guest

Everyone on SS.com thinks Jones should be on the hotseat. Is that a legit gripe or is there a lot of overreacting going on?

Everyone?? Come on.  There are very few here who think Jones should be fired.  He recruits well and finishes near the top of the conference.

I found the question that Tom Miller answered was a bit out there....

Everyone?? Come on.  There are very few here who think Jones should be fired.  He recruits well and finishes near the top of the conference.

He wins home conference games...that's really it.

If he recruits so well, then why are his teams so poor out-of-conference and on the road?

The Big Sky Conference is a BAD NCAA DI basketball conference - there, I said it. In all reality, only Weber State and sometimes Montana are the real competitors on a national level (this year replace Montana with Eastern Washington). UND beating mediocre BSC competition at home is not a huge showing, in my opinion. UND goes on the road within the conference and loses quite a few games, too. 

Look at the out-of-conference (regardless of home or away) record for Jones; it's bad. The regular season road record for Jones in the Big Sky is simply mediocre: 10-10. 

If you want to only compete in the Big Sky (a bad basketball conference) and never actually win it, then I suppose Jones has already satisfied your expectations, so why be asking for more? But to get to where this program deserves to be, UND needs to WIN the Big Sky Conference tournament, and with that, Jones' ability remains to be seen. UND has taken steps the last 2 seasons, though.

• Upvote 1

Jones is not on the hot seat.  He has had a high Big Sky RPI for the last 3 years. They would have to pay a lot more for a proven D1 HC who may turn out to not be any better. Road games home games do not matter wins and losses do. RPI is an objective measure of overall success. If there is a compelling reason such as great location , great in state talent pool, top dollar salary to coaches and state of the art facilities then perhaps a case could be made why UND basketball should be at the top of the Big Sky rather than in the top half. 

One more thing you have to factor in especially the last 2 years is injuries. What could they have done with a healthy Brekke, Schuler, Webb and Huff who missed 8-10 games to start his junior season which I believe we only won 1 or 2.  We played Weber last year in the championship game with 3 of our top 6 players injured.  Jones should not be on the hot seat as of yet because the way his teams have finished each year and through all of the nickname issues and with no real conference to play in until these past 2 years he has done a very good job in getting players to come to UND and play for championships.  Yes his OOC record sucks but so do most schools at our level playing up most of those games.  He definitely deserves more years to see how he continues to recruit and finishes in the Big Sky before any plug is pulled.

If he recruits so well, then why are his teams so poor out-of-conference and on the road?

The Big Sky Conference is a BAD NCAA DI basketball conference - there, I said it. In all reality, only Weber State and sometimes Montana are the real competitors on a national level (this year replace Montana with Eastern Washington). UND beating mediocre BSC competition at home is not a huge showing, in my opinion. UND goes on the road within the conference and loses quite a few games, too. 

Look at the out-of-conference (regardless of home or away) record for Jones; it's bad. The regular season road record for Jones in the Big Sky is simply mediocre: 10-10. 

If you want to only compete in the Big Sky (a bad basketball conference) and never actually win it, then I suppose Jones has already satisfied your expectations, so why be asking for more? But to get to where this program deserves to be, UND needs to WIN the Big Sky Conference tournament, and with that, Jones' ability remains to be seen. UND has taken steps the last 2 seasons, though.

Did you compare his conference road record to other schools conference road records since UND has been in the Big Sky conference? You'll find that winning on the road is tough and UND has fared on the road at least in conference comparatively better than most others in the conference.

Just looking at last year alone,  no one team was great on the road in conference play.   

Weber St was 5 and 5 in conference road contests.

NAU  was 5 and 5

Montana was 4 and 6

UND was 4 and 6

PSU was 4 and 6

EWU was 3 and 7

UNC was 3 and 7

Sac St was 2 and 8

I guess my point is- that in any conference it is hard to win on the road.  In a conference as expansive as this, it might, (key word here is, might) be tougher.   And in reality we were only 1 win away from being on top in road wins last year.  Heck the top team in our conference Weber State had only 5 road conference wins, and we helped them with that by them winning here at The Betty.

Ok it's a bad basketball conference... what should we do about it?    What is the solution? 

Ok it's a bad basketball conference... what should we do about it?    What is the solution? 

Does UND need to lose (almost) every non-conference game they play?  That's cool to you and no biggie?  They are 6-57 in non-conference road games during Jone's time as coach.  6-57. 

He has been the coach for NINE years and people are saying he needs a couple more years...what?  He seems like a good guy but at what point do we realize the program is not getting any better.  They finish .500 every year, whether its Great West or Big Sky.  He has a losing record as a head coach but UND fans are supposed to just be happy that we have 'anybody' as a coach?   

• Upvote 1

Did you compare his conference road record to other schools conference road records since UND has been in the Big Sky conference? You'll find that winning on the road is tough and UND has fared on the road at least in conference comparatively better than most others in the conference.

10-10 is against only Big Sky schools on the road the last two seasons.

And, as I mentioned, the Big Sky Conference is a bad DI conference. If you want to compare UND to the bottom 8 schools, then you're already doing UND basketball wrong.

• Upvote 1

Out-of-conference play is troubling. If UND ever did win the conference, they would definitely be a 16-seed and get a bad matchup in the first round.

NDSU has no more the facilities than UND, and when they had NCAA tournament quality teams, they made sure to put some out-of-conference wins together to better their resume. It helped them in the end. Jones and UND are surely not doing that by blowing huge leads to SDSU and losing to Texas Pan-American by 18 on a neutral floor. If UND loses as bad as they do on neutral floors (1-5 in last two tournaments), how will they compete in a NCAA game or BSC title game? It's troubling.

• Upvote 1

Out-of-conference play is troubling. If UND ever did win the conference, they would definitely be a 16-seed and get a bad matchup in the first round.

NDSU has no more the facilities than UND, and when they had NCAA tournament quality teams, they made sure to put some out-of-conference wins together to better their resume. It helped them in the end. Jones and UND are surely not doing that by blowing huge leads to SDSU and losing to Texas Pan-American by 18 on a neutral floor. If UND loses as bad as they do on neutral floors (1-5 in last two tournaments), how will they compete in a NCAA game or BSC title game? It's troubling.

Losing to a bad SUU team on the road in football and at home to a bad Weber St team is troubling as well.   I guess we can go round and round on this.

• Upvote 2

USD has 2 OOC DI wins (non-tournament) this season alone, and won at Texas State last year, its been almost 3 years since UND has beaten a road team (OOC) on their court.

Actually considering the pay, the facilities, the weather, and quantity of in state D1 talent and number of years as a D1 BB team.... UND by any objective measure should be compared to the bottom half of Big Sky... Despite that,  North Dakota has appeared in the post season four straight times. Clearly nice work. One of the  best in the Big Sky! . Of course UND like fans from every other team wish their school would be among the best , this of course emotional not logic based reasoning .  Now that the program is rebuilding after 4 consecutive  post season appearances ...the wolves are in a feeding frenzy.  Low D1 programs are happy to play in these post season tourneys. Sure power conference teams may frown on the CIT.   but this Big Sky Hoops...Grand Forks ND.

• Upvote 1

Does UND need to lose (almost) every non-conference game they play?  That's cool to you and no biggie?  They are 6-57 in non-conference road games during Jone's time as coach.  6-57. 

He has been the coach for NINE years and people are saying he needs a couple more years...what?  He seems like a good guy but at what point do we realize the program is not getting any better.  They finish .500 every year, whether its Great West or Big Sky.  He has a losing record as a head coach but UND fans are supposed to just be happy that we have 'anybody' as a coach?   

Chris Mussman went 31-34 in 6 seasons, should he have been given a couple more years? Jones is 35-38 since transition ended and 95-102 overall in DI. If you want to look at an average coach, Jones is the man. Both seasons UND has finished 12-8 in the BSC, but in 2012-13 only 2 teams finished over .500 overall, the next year only 4 teams were over .500. The BSC is a below average conference. Last year the BSC was 25th out of 33 conferences (with the 33rd being Independents) in RPI rating (according to RealTimeRPI.com) 28th the year before that. In comparison the SL was 17th and 19th in those years. The BSC hasn't been in the top 20 since the 2009-2010 season (18th) Weber State won the conference at 14-4, but 18-10 overall; both Montana, and UNC won over 20 games. The BSC is on a decline so seeing UND towards the top isn't a shock when our league is down, if you want to see how good we are look at the overall record. 

Actually considering the pay, the facilities, the weather, and quantity of in state D1 talent and number of years as a D1 BB team.... UND by any objective measure should be compared to the bottom half of Big Sky... Despite that,  North Dakota has appeared in the post season four straight times. Clearly nice work. One of the  best in the Big Sky! . Of course UND like fans from every other team wish their school would be among the best , this of course emotional not logic based reasoning .  Now that the program is rebuilding after 4 consecutive  post season appearances ...the wolves are in a feeding frenzy.  Low D1 programs are happy to play in these post season tourneys. Sure power conference teams may frown on the CIT.   but this Big Sky Hoops...Grand Forks ND.

Shouldn't a team reload not rebuild? Kansas reloads, Duke reloads, who rebuilds but a struggling team on a decline. Our football team is rebuilding, our women's basketball team is reloading. If Jones has to rebuild every 4 years then he isn't recruiting the right players. Also considering the facility, the weather and quantity of in state D1 talent and a D1 BB team, NDSU went to the dance its first season of being eligible. I guess that leaves pay and oh yeah coaching!!

Losing to a bad SUU team on the road in football and at home to a bad Weber St team is troubling as well.   I guess we can go round and round on this.

So we are comparing Jones who has been at UND since DII and using his players to Bubba his first year of coaching using a former coach's players.  :silly: