SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

North Dakota in the Division I Era.............

93-99:  Overall record

43-31:  Record in Great West & Big Sky conference games

8-3:      Record in conference tournament play

66-49:  Record in the months of January, February, and March

27-50:  Record in November and December

68-96:  Overall record vs. DI opponents

17-62:  Record in non-conference play vs DI opponents

17-39:  Non conference record vs "Like" DI opponents

0-4:  In the CIT

*"Like" opponents defined as schools NOT from the Power 5 conferneces, Mountain West, Missouri Valley, West Coast, Big East

Why is it assumed that this group was so talented? Drives me nuts. Just because they were all seniors doesn't make them talented. They were recruited when no one was going to come here. Nobody else was recruiting them. You can make the opposite argument that jones got the most out of a group of kids that no other D1 programs recruited. Fast forward to today and jones IS getting kids that have other D1 offers. Progress, real progress in my opinion.

Secondly, regarding money. It isn't just salaries that are an issue. 1) facilities are D2 quality. 2) money game requirements. Meanwhile, their neighbors get 10 million put into a locker room. Our players still use the same type of cold/hot tub that Phil Jackson used. I wouldn't be shocked if their weight room had one of those vibrating belt machines that Jack Lalanne used to hawk in the 60's. I guess you can flip it around when talking to a recruit by stating, "not only did Phil Jackson play here, you will be getting taped on the very same table he used". Embarrassing. Everyone's frustration should be pointed directly at AD and not Coach Jones.

Great points sir.

To add to that...

The guys last year did a great job in the Big Sky, maybe even excelling. Thank them for the transition and competing at the highest level.

But if they didnt do fundamental/team things right, it has to be put on them. You cant force a player to boxout, thats something players choose to do, and fewer of them now. They prefer to rely on their athleticism, to their detriment. Same as passing and playing team ball, some guys will do it for while, but will revert to themselves occassionally and you will lose movement of the ball in the offense.

Onto the current players. I think we've seen more of a willingness to play team ball. It is just going to take awhile for them to learn to pkay together and for everyone to figure out their role (I.e. who is going to takeover when needed). With the last couple recruiting classes and next years, I know Coach Jones has done a good job of bringing in a higher quality player. If he can get the help and support he needs, imagine how much easier it would be for him to get higher level kids. Stop riding him, give him 2-3 years with the new group of guys, then assess his ability to coach in game. Supposed to he rough year, right? I would dare say, its not so bad right now from what weve seen

4 straight CIF appearances from the lowest paid D1 coach in country is pretty good. UND would have to break open the piggy bank big time, to bring in a proven higher quality D1 coach. Even  NDSU first year HC who has done nothing ...makes 3-to 4 times what Jones does.  Every college basketball guide predicted UND 8th or 9th.  Grand Forks plus a below average facilities not a magnet for prospects.  UND a tough D1 Gig.  

North Dakota in the Division I Era.............

93-99:  Overall record

43-31:  Record in Great West & Big Sky conference games

8-3:      Record in conference tournament play

66-49:  Record in the months of January, February, and March

27-50:  Record in November and December

68-96:  Overall record vs. DI opponents

17-62:  Record in non-conference play vs DI opponents

17-39:  Non conference record vs "Like" DI opponents

0-4:  In the CIT

*"Like" opponents defined as schools NOT from the Power 5 conferneces, Mountain West, Missouri Valley, West Coast, Big East

Good data. Would love to know what percentage of non conference games were away games.

4 straight CIF appearances from the lowest paid D1 coach in country is pretty good. UND would have to break open the piggy bank big time, to bring in a proven higher quality D1 coach. Even  NDSU first year HC who has done nothing ...makes 3-to 4 times what Jones does.  Every college basketball guide predicted UND 8th or 9th.  Grand Forks plus a below average facilities not a magnet for prospects.  UND a tough D1 Gig.  

No he doesn't.  Their football coach doesn't even make 3-4 times what Jones does.

• Upvote 1

Why is it assumed that this group was so talented? Drives me nuts. Just because they were all seniors doesn't make them talented. They were recruited when no one was going to come here. Nobody else was recruiting them. You can make the opposite argument that jones got the most out of a group of kids that no other D1 programs recruited. Fast forward to today and jones IS getting kids that have other D1 offers. Progress, real progress in my opinion.

Secondly, regarding money. It isn't just salaries that are an issue. 1) facilities are D2 quality. 2) money game requirements. Meanwhile, their neighbors get 10 million put into a locker room. Our players still use the same type of cold/hot tub that Phil Jackson used. I wouldn't be shocked if their weight room had one of those vibrating belt machines that Jack Lalanne used to hawk in the 60's. I guess you can flip it around when talking to a recruit by stating, "not only did Phil Jackson play here, you will be getting taped on the very same table he used". Embarrassing. Everyone's frustration should be pointed directly at AD and not Coach Jones.

Very good points.

Jones may demonstrate questionable coaching ability, but I fully agree in terms of AD Faison. I've voiced my concern in terms of support for football, but the same goes for basketball as well. Faison is complacent (getting ready for retirement?) and not willing to help out the revenue sports as popular as football and basketball. If NDSU can pump the money they do into football and basketball, then there is no reason UND should be as far behind as they are. Men's hockey sucks up resources like crazy, but maybe it's time to allocate funds elsewhere from other programs like women's hockey?

• Upvote 1

I am not one who is anxious to see Jones go. But it seems to me that with all the coaching jobs that open up annually, typically a coach of a low or mid-major program who is arguably doing a good job will have opportunities to move up the ladder, at least in terms of pay. For example, if Brewster has another very good year this year, I suspect he'll be getting calls from other schools for higher-paying jobs. Has Jones ever gotten any interest from other schools? I haven't heard of any, but admittedly that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

I am not one who is anxious to see Jones go. But it seems to me that with all the coaching jobs that open up annually, typically a coach of a low or mid-major program who is doing a good job will have opportunities to move up the ladder, at least in terms of pay. For example, if Brewster has another very good year this year, I suspect he'll be getting calls from other schools for higher-paying jobs. Has Jones ever gotten any interest from other schools? I haven't heard of any, but admittedly that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Jones likely has no offers. His teams have performed in conference play, but they haven't upset a favored team (money games) or made the NCAA tournament.

In comparison, Saul Phillips, who was hired away from NDSU by Ohio University, had a good resume: 2 NCAA tournament appearances, and upsets vs Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. Jones has done nothing close to that.

Richman only makes 70% more than Jones.... Not too bad for a rookie . I think UND newcomers for  2014 and  2015  are better than NDSU.  Jones also has to deal with his assistants moving to better paying jobs at a high frequency... UND AD. pretty much knows that you get what your willing to pay for. And Jones is a bargain!

Jones>Mussman.

Hes been to postseason. He does good job recruiting.

Get him more money to get better coaches, and get him better amenities then it will be easier to get better ball players here.

The better players you get, the easier it is to coach them. Hes getting them now. Give him, and them some time to grow together.

Note: gfhockey, you are dating yourself, there are no blue light specials anymore.

So the question is, are you qualified to talk basketball?

There are updates to the game as well; the three point line, you can dribble from baseline to baseline without a pass, you can even dunk the ball and touch the rim.

Simple question :-)

How much longer can we put up with Jones? I know the team is young but these losses are getting old.

With Jones you don't have to wait to lose. He is not a good coach. Brewster took UND to the dance in his second year why isn't it time for a change? Or are you still pissed they canned Muss. Last I heard almost counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

To win on the road against in OOC (not tournament play) games still winless since February 2012, have a 20 win season, beat marquee teams (not a Duke or Kansas), and make the dance. If Brewster can do it in 2 seasons, Jones should be able to.

Not a fan of Jones at all, but you got all this from looking at a box score, correct? The basketball program thanks you for your support, I'm sure.

• Upvote 3

Not a fan of Jones at all, but you got all this from looking at a box score, correct? The basketball program thanks you for your support, I'm sure.

I got this from watching Jones season after season. You must be a Jones supporter, I understand.

Hire Brewster for the men before another High Major mens program steals him away. There is a reason why winning Women's coaches do not end up at much higher paying HC gigs in the NBA or NCAA mens ...totally different beast

I've thought this before. I've met the guy and im a huge fan of him. He's a great guy and has that confidence about him that a HC needs. How bout trade him and Jones and see what happens.