SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Well, we've often seen you're the expert when it comes to reading the minds of coaches and players. Coupled with an amazing talent to understand things that our athletes and coaches just don't get. Quite a gift. I have watched Huff for his entire career and he works as hard or harder than anyone on the team in the areas of rebounding and playing defense. Because of our lack of production from our bigs, he is always in banging the other teams big bodies on the boards. Almost always while giving up 60 or 80 pounds. I don't see it as checking out, I see it as him being gassed and trying to catch some air occasionally.

But, I don't have the gift of knowing and understanding things about sports that so many of our athletes and coaches just don't understand.

The last time I was on the receiving end of one of your juvenile sarcastic attacks was when I dared to mention that Muss might not be the one to lead the Sioux to football success. If you don't like my opinion make yours with a factual argument - leave the junior high snide remarks at home. I had the gall to point out that Huff wasn't always an asset dispite his huge talent. As to the checking out - some of it refered to the memorable game a season or two ago when he didn't want to play if he wasn't getting the ball. Sorry if I'm not all duckys and bunnys like you, but if you feel compelled to make more personal attacks you can kiss mine.

North Dakota was picked 2nd and 3rd in the respective pre-season polls. Finished second, right where most thought they would.

Perhaps Jones deserves an extension for once again meeting, or even exceeding expectations...................... :huh:

And because of his awesome regular season record (15-15), if they lose to Sac State, they will NOT be eligible for the CIT. Must have at least a .500 record. As for the CBI...Don't count on it!

http://www.gazellegr...s/cbi/about.htm

Teams are invited based upon performance during their conference and non-conference schedules, as well as how the team is playing at the end of the regular season

12-8 in the conference and 3 (1 DI win)-7 in non-conference play. They did win 5 out of the last 8 games.

That d*mn patience and transition bullsh*t excuse needs to stop.

It's an excuse. Nothing more or nothing else. Remember NDSU with Woodside? If you have good coaching along with talented players, you can win regardless of transition status. UND's talent this year should not have produced so many blowout losses (Cal Poly, Pacific, Butler, Weber St. etc.) and just plain bad losses (SUU).

Congrats to NDSU and coach Miles. Not all teams can do this and it looks like they might make it back this year after three seasons at or below .500. And lets take a look at the fabled NDSU Woodside team - they ran through the always tough Summit League with tournament games against (Centenary 294, SUU 266 and Oakland 122) and had a great nonconference run with wins against: Mary, Moorehead, Mayville, N. Arizona (293), Georgia Southern (296), Valley City, N. Arizona (293), Utah Valley (237) and Milwaukee (134). Again, NDSU had a nice team but don't make them out to be something they aren't either. They had two nice tournament/non-conference wins (Milwaukee and Oakland) that is all. I think this years NDSU team is much better than the Woodside team.

I agree with everyone on this board. The team has been inconsistent and is capable of playing at a very high and well low level. But, let's keep some perspective - please.

I personally am excited for Jones to get fired and one of you experts to be hired. Can't wait for the team to finish 1st in the conference and make the tournament every year once we get an intelligent basketball mind on the bench.

Not sure Darrell is ready for the hot seat yet let's go with UND Football and Darrell as his top assistant - to help them out I will offer them a weekend at a Holiday Inn Express of there choice prior to next year championship game if they are hired. Just another branch of the great SiouxSports.com coaching tree - Phil Jackson, Bill Fitch, Jimmy Rodgers and Darrell,

The last time I was on the receiving end of one of your juvenile sarcastic attacks was when I dared to mention that Muss might not be the one to lead the Sioux to football success. If you don't like my opinion make yours with a factual argument - leave the junior high snide remarks at home. I had the gall to point out that Huff wasn't always an asset dispite his huge talent. As to the checking out - some of it refered to the memorable game a season or two ago when he didn't want to play if he wasn't getting the ball. Sorry if I'm not all duckys and bunnys like you, but if you feel compelled to make more personal attacks you can kiss mine.

Look at your posts. You didn't just dare "to mention that Muss might not be the one to lead the Sioux to football success", you repeatedly explained things you knew that he didn't understand. I don't know if that is more arrogrance or ignorance. maybe 50/50. You say to reply to you with a factual statement..... I did. You have no way to know what players and coaches are thinking, or what they understand or don't understand. That is a factual argument.......

So, you know Huff's state of mind? How? Did you talk to people on the team? Or did you figure this out from message board rumor based on innuendo, eventually called fact? Have you actually seen any games in person the last 4 years?

Not a ducky or bunny. Just curious how you got your expertise on everything. Educate us by explaining your personal experience as a college athlete, and your training and experience as a coach, at the college or any level for that matter. If you have some of that experience, maybe I'd respect your opinion. But, I'm guessing you have none. So, if it's a personal attack asking you how your "know" things about what's going on in players and coaches minds and "understanding" things coaches don't get, I guess I am attacking you. (some might even say YOUR posts are almost entirely attacking UND coaches and athletes)

Look at your posts. You didn't just dare "to mention that Muss might not be the one to lead the Sioux to football success", you repeatedly explained things you knew that he didn't understand. I don't know if that is more arrogrance or ignorance. maybe 50/50. You say to reply to you with a factual statement..... I did. You have no way to know what players and coaches are thinking, or what they understand or don't understand. That is a factual argument.......

So, you know Huff's state of mind? How? Did you talk to people on the team? Or did you figure this out from message board rumor based on innuendo, eventually called fact? Have you actually seen any games in person the last 4 years?

Not a ducky or bunny. Just curious how you got your expertise on everything. Educate us by explaining your personal experience as a college athlete, and your training and experience as a coach, at the college or any level for that matter. If you have some of that experience, maybe I'd respect your opinion. But, I'm guessing you have none. So, if it's a personal attack asking you how your "know" things about what's going on in players and coaches minds and "understanding" things coaches don't get, I guess I am attacking you. (some might even say YOUR posts are almost entirely attacking UND coaches and athletes)

Sadly it's obvious this post applies to many who post on this site it's reduced to back and forth arguments by people who support the same team mixed in with some trolls.

Seeing Jones got us to the title game he should be given another year. It will be interesting how this group will perform without the senior talent. If they can't win on the road (4 wins this season) and if the fundamentals don't improve (rebounding for one) I think Faison will put Jones on the hot seat if they fail to reach the tournament. Weber St is a good team and its tough to beat them on their home court but you have to get those OOC wins (not the Oregon and Wisconsin type teams) but the Bowling Green, Cal Poly, South Dakota St teams. This team played good but now it's only going to get tougher.

Seeing Jones got us to the title game he should be given another year. It will be interesting how this group will perform without the senior talent. If they can't win on the road (4 wins this season) and if the fundamentals don't improve (rebounding for one) I think Faison will put Jones on the hot seat if they fail to reach the tournament. Weber St is a good team and its tough to beat them on their home court but you have to get those OOC wins (not the Oregon and Wisconsin type teams) but the Bowling Green, Cal Poly, South Dakota St teams. This team played good but now it's only going to get tougher.

Congrats on realizing what was obvious months ago.

Also, a couple things to chew on: UND has the third most conference road wins the last two seasons behind Weber and Montana. Weber, historically the most consistent team in the league, is finally going back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2007 after missing in its last 6 tries.

• Upvote 1

I hesitate to even contribute to this thread, but what has been difficult to accept is that two years ago, UND beat Montana (Big Sky tournament champion), SDSU (Summit tournament champion) and NDSU (with four of the same starters as this year's Summit tournament champion). The future looked very bright given the fact that the team was nearly all sophomores. But for a variety of reasons, most notably the loss of Brekke for most of the last two years, an inability to ever really replace Patrick Mitchell, a series of in some cases freak injuries (Huff's jaw last year, Schuler missing a total of 16 games in the past two seasons, Webb going down in this year's Big Sky tournament, etc.) and other various unfortunate circumstances (Traylor missing most of last year due to academics and Nash having to sit out a year when many other similarly situated players were given immediately eligibility upon transferring), UND was really never able to be at full strength. So now we're left to wonder what might have been.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to NDSU and coach Miles. Not all teams can do this and it looks like they might make it back this year after three seasons at or below .500. And lets take a look at the fabled NDSU Woodside team - they ran through the always tough Summit League with tournament games against (Centenary 294, SUU 266 and Oakland 122) and had a great nonconference run with wins against: Mary, Moorehead, Mayville, N. Arizona (293), Georgia Southern (296), Valley City, N. Arizona (293), Utah Valley (237) and Milwaukee (134). Again, NDSU had a nice team but don't make them out to be something they aren't either. They had two nice tournament/non-conference wins (Milwaukee and Oakland) that is all. I think this years NDSU team is much better than the Woodside team.

I agree with everyone on this board. The team has been inconsistent and is capable of playing at a very high and well low level. But, let's keep some perspective - please.

Correct me if I am wrong, but your post came off like this:

"Congrats to NDSU and coach Miles.....but we just cannot expect that level of success here." ???

This mentality is far too prevalent on this forum and amongst our fan base. We have to start thinking and acting and talking like a top-notch mid-major program. Listen to Brewster and the WBB players talk; he and his players expect to be good and expect to achieve at a high level. And look at where they are now. That is where championship traditions start and I think we all want to see that with our MBB program. And whether or not Jones is the man to build that tradition remains to be seen.

There is no doubt that Jones' seat got a little warmer last night.

My biggest concern with Jones' (is actually the same I had with Mussman) is he has created no identity to his basketball program. Tell me what his main recruiting area is? Tell me what his offensive philosophy is? Tell me what his defensive philosophy is? I don't feel that this team created an identity for themselves (besides inconsistent) and that is on the coach.

I look at the football team after Bubba took over, one of his first comments he made was we are going to be an attacking defense and a ball control offense. He also identified that he was going to get back to recruiting the upper midwest. Now that your identity is in place, you can recruit to that. It may not be easy to do but at least there is a plan in place. Someone has to tell me if Jones has that.

• Upvote 4

There is no doubt that Jones' seat definately got a little warmer last night.

My biggest concern with Jones' (is actually the same I had with Mussman) is he has created no identity to his basketball program. Tell me what his main recruiting area is? Tell me what his offensive philosophy is? Tell me what his defensive philosophy is? I don't feel that this team created an identity for themselves (besides inconsistent) and that is on the coach.

I look at the football team after Bubba took over, one of his first comments he made was we are going to be an attacking defense and a ball control offense. He also identified that he was going to get back to recruiting the upper midwest. Now that your identity is in place, you can recruit to that. It may not be easy to do but at least there is a plan in place. Someone has to tell me if Jones has that.

Ok cue, the pro Jones fans who want to keep him on so we can be at .500 and punch our ticket to the CIT which we were 1 loss from missing that tournament all together (losing to Sac St in the first round would have kept us out with a sub .500 record). NDSU is getting publicity not only for football but now for men's basketball and that will only get them better recruting choices, and what do we have to counter that? Can Jones go on the trail, look a recruit in the eye and tell them we can go to the Dance like NDSU. We can't beat Bowling Green, Cal Poly, and Nebraska Omaha. We gave SUU their only conference win of the year. Its going to be tough to get the good recruits (like you said wherever our recruting footprint is). I think Jones is a joke and I see this team going down in flames next season with a young team and poor coaching staff who can't stress teamwork.

• Upvote 2

Ok cue, the pro Jones fans who want to keep him on so we can be at .500 and punch our ticket to the CIT which we were 1 loss from missing that tournament all together (losing to Sac St in the first round would have kept us out with a sub .500 record). NDSU is getting publicity not only for football but now for men's basketball and that will only get them better recruting choices, and what do we have to counter that? Can Jones go on the trail, look a recruit in the eye and tell them we can go to the Dance like NDSU. We can't beat Bowling Green, Cal Poly, and Nebraska Omaha. We gave SUU their only conference win of the year. Its going to be tough to get the good recruits (like you said wherever our recruting footprint is). I think Jones is a joke and I see this team going down in flames next season with a young team and poor coaching staff who can't stress teamwork.

Holy !@#$, I'm not ready to hang him up. I just feel he needs to execute his plan if he has one. There are plenty of good basketball players out there and I think he's found some. I'm in the minority when I think next years team will be better than this one.

Holy !@#$, I'm not ready to hang him up. I just feel he needs to execute his plan if he has one. There are plenty of good basketball players out there and I think he's found some. I'm in the minority when I think next years team will be better than this one.

Shouldn't it say something if you have to ask questions about his philosophy and recruiting area since he has been coach since the NCC days.