SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Yet there is a "Fire Hak" thread when in comparison in their respective sports, Hakstol has a better resume than Smith did their first 9 years.

Let the CIT thing go.  No one is shooting for a CIT bid (minus the autobid that was a result of a GWC title).  It's has been a consolation prize the last two years, not a goal, just a by-product of what happened during the season.  They probably should have passed on the invitation last year due to injuries but may as well let the healthy guys and seniors have one more game (and a shot at another couple).

Don't look at me at the Fire Hak thread, I didn't start it nor do I agree he should be fired. The CIT bids were fine when we were in the GWC and no chance at a NCAA tournament, but even so at least beat a DI transfer team in the tournament. 

Jones is in his 9th season lets compare the two through 9 seasons:

Smith: 3 20 win seasons, 3 conference titles, 2 NCAA Final Fours, 1 NCAA runner up, 1 trip to the NIT.

Jones: 0 20 win seasons, 0 conference titles, 4 CIT trips (no wins) 

If Jones had Smith's resume the first 9 seasons I would be all for keeping him.

Conference Tournament Results the last four years:

2014 - Big Sky - Runner-up

2013 - Big Sky - Semifinals

2012 - GW - Championship

2011 - GW - Championship

• Upvote 1

Must be confusing football facilities with basketball facilities. The Betty is a nice place to play. When it's packed, it's a great environment. But the university has little to do with a player coming to play. The coaches recruit the kids to play in their program with their style of play. They really don't have a lot to sell but themselves and the playing time.

I will agree with you and your "people's" opinion. Coach seems to lack in some areas. That being said...due to his success last couple years, his subsequent extension, the new guys here and coming... Let the season play out. They are supposed to be ninth in the BSC. Faison isn't getting rid of Jones this year. If things go bad next year and you see the same issues as this year, then we as fans/alumni/supporters need to demand better. I will be expecting better next year, and if it isn't, I will be voicing myself in letters to the athletic department demanding better.

Absolutely, I agree with you. I hope, with the youth on the team and the upcoming talented recruits, that UND will be much improved next year. Of course, we went through the same hopeful faith just with football from 2012 to 2013. If anything, we know how Faison handles the potential dismissal of head coaches; gives them two seasons - if they don't improve and things get worse, they are cut loose.

I'd say Jones has next season to improve on whatever happens this season. If there's improvement, great - I look forward to watching many wins in the Betty versus teams such as NDSU, Montana, and Weber. If the team doesn't improve and just gets worse, than it's time for new coaching. I assume this is also how Faison looks at it.

Seeing as this is a hypothetical thread. Maybe another thread should be started, but for now, let's look ahead to next year.

Starting five-

Hooker

Seales

Crandall

Bernstine

Shanks

And a nice bench to supplement

In that staying group tho, you have three players that can get off anytime, and they play will with their teammates. What if that team does make the conference championship tournament and loses. Or even gets to the dance. Maybe still see some issues with coaching. What then? But I am really looking forward to next year!

That is assuming everyone on your list will be eligible next fall.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, I agree with you. I hope, with the youth on the team and the upcoming talented recruits, that UND will be much improved next year. Of course, we went through the same hopeful faith just with football from 2012 to 2013. If anything, we know how Faison handles the potential dismissal of head coaches; gives them two seasons - if they don't improve and things get worse, they are cut loose.

I'd say Jones has next season to improve on whatever happens this season. If there's improvement, great - I look forward to watching many wins in the Betty versus teams such as NDSU, Montana, and Weber. If the team doesn't improve and just gets worse, than it's time for new coaching. I assume this is also how Faison looks at it.

As to your very last sentence.....don't bank on it.

The Big Sky coaches have been very accurate in predicting how Jones will fare in his three years so far. In 2012-13, UND was picked to finish fourth, and actually finished third. Last year, UND was picked second, and actually finished in a three-way tie for second. This year, UND was picked ninth, which as of right now is right on the money.

In fairness to Faison, he did what had to be done and fired Mussman with years left on his contract.  Let's wait and see what happens with Jones before criticizing Faison.

In fairness to all fans, Faison gave Muss the contract extension with years left on it.  Not seeing how he gets credit for correcting his blunder at our expense.

He also forced coaches to work with D2 budgets while expecting success in D1.

That is such a bizarre criticism. you have the money you have, thus you have the budget you have- what is he suppose to do, go shake the money tree in front of Hyslop for bigger budgets? Yes, you're right he purposefully made the coaches work with D2 budgets cause he thought that would be such a fun way to operate. Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

This is so off topic now it's just another Mussman bashing thread (and we all know who's going to be next to chime in) But...If you expect results at DI then you need to find the money to fund DI coaches and resources. UND athletics made the decision to move up (with much pressure from alumni) and with that comes the responsibility to fund the resources to make it successful. Mussman accepted the role of being a transition coach, whether he knew it or not UND decided to go on a bare bones budget for football during the transition - perhaps because they knew from the history of other schools that attendance (and thus income), and recruiting would suffer. All the more reason to respect the kids who did choose UND during the transition (in all sports).

So now for some Mussman's legacy went from being one of the coordinator's of the national championship team to a failed head coach. Not saying he didn't have issues just saying that the transitional football coach position at UND was a no-win situation.  

• Upvote 1

This is so off topic now it's just another Mussman bashing thread (and we all know who's going to be next to chime in) But...If you expect results at DI then you need to find the money to fund DI coaches and resources. UND athletics made the decision to move up (with much pressure from alumni) and with that comes the responsibility to fund the resources to make it successful. Mussman accepted the role of being a transition coach, whether he knew it or not UND decided to go on a bare bones budget for football during the transition - perhaps because they knew from the history of other schools that attendance (and thus income), and recruiting would suffer. All the more reason to respect the kids who did choose UND during the transition (in all sports).

So now for some Mussman's legacy went from being one of the coordinator's of the national championship team to a failed head coach. Not saying he didn't have issues just saying that the transitional football coach position at UND was a no-win situation.  

Unless the coach who had advocated so strongly for the move to DI had actually stayed on.

"No-win"...........just another excuse from your end.  Please explain how it was a "no-win situation".

Craig Bohl, as he is counting his money right now, probably would disagree you.  SU went 10-1 in each of his last 2 seasons during the ineligible transition and 35-9 in those four seasons from '04-'07.  Muss was 23-20 in his 4 years during the transition. 

• Upvote 1

That is such a bizarre criticism. you have the money you have, thus you have the budget you have- what is he suppose to do, go shake the money tree in front of Hyslop for bigger budgets? Yes, you're right he purposefully made the coaches work with D2 budgets cause he thought that would be such a fun way to operate. Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

If we don't have the money to get and keep the best assistant coaches in FB and other sports, then we have bigger problems than Jones.

Jones isn't going anywhere after this season, regardless of the finish.

Correct.  His chance of getting canned this year is the same as Coach Cal at Kentucky...Zero.  Pretty absurd to post about a guy getting fired when there is no chance.(kinda Like this Geno Tweet..

Outside of myself, cuz I would never say anyone is better than me.... the kid @Tyusjones06 is the best PG in the country. Easy.. Will revisit this post next fall and see if the fire Jones Crowd are man enough to eat crow when he is still at the helm.  Show some intelligence and save the fire Jones banter for a season when it may actually be on the table....

Correct.  His chance of getting canned this year is the same as Coach Cal at Kentucky...Zero.  Pretty absurd to post about a guy getting fired when there is no chance.(kinda Like this Geno Tweet..

Outside of myself, cuz I would never say anyone is better than me.... the kid @Tyusjones06 is the best PG in the country. Easy.. Will revisit this post next fall and see if the fire Jones Crowd are man enough to eat crow when he is still at the helm.  Show some intelligence and save the fire Jones banter for a season when it may actually be on the table....

You quoted a post from last season.  Regardless, coming into this season and knowing it was going to be a rebuilding year, I don't think there's much of a chance he gets fired this year either.  The team has played some exciting basketball and some awful basketball, but I still see next season as a pivotal year for Jones.  The team won't need to make the NCAAs, but they will need at least a top 5 finish in the Big Sky (not saying I'm satisfied with that placement).  That'll buy him one, maybe two more years to do something special with his incoming recruits.

All I can really speculate is like UND-1 said. Winning at home is great, but when you end up right around .500 for the season during the good years, it apparently isn't enough to make the non-hardcore fans stand up and take notice. 

I have been a fan for UND athletics for many years, and a regular Basketball attender for many of them.  I started drifting away from basketball toward the end of the Glass era and quite frankly have gotten out of the basketball attendence habit.  The times I have gone to Jones coached games I left frustrated by the type of ball we played even if we won.  We need a reason go to games again - a couple of signature wins, a trip to the dance, some fantastic talent to watch (quite honestly, as good as Huff was his play drove me nuts).  There is absolutely no buzz about Men's basketball.

I think many Sioux fans of all sports are ready for a serious concentrated effort for excellence across the board.  I know we need more money, but here it becomes murky.  I am giving what I think is a reasonable amount, and am not sure that if I gave more it would go towards any increase in competitiveness as that doesn't seem to by high on our AD's priorities.  In addition I am frustrated by the lack of transparency by the Ralph.  If we move into a free arena and double the hockey attendence why don't we have a lot more money than we do?  I guess what I am saying is that in order for me to start attending basketball or give more in general I want some strong leadership (Bubba, for example is very entheusiastic, tells you what type of team he is building, tells you his goals, and is a guy you can believe in) - we need more of this type of leadership - 

• Upvote 1

The "people" of Grand Forks aren't stupid; they read the Herald and know what UND is doing on a national scale. Also, many UND athletic fans aren't regulars; therefore, they need reason to attend. Winning is the number one reason, and just winning at home doesn't cut it. If UND men's basketball wins their home games but then loses every road game, you end up with a .500 record and loses vs. every big-name team because they're all on the road. When UND's men basketball squad has a legitimate team, one that wins in a road pay-out game and beats NDSU, fans will notice and the attendance will rise. To this point, the best Jones has been able to muster is a .500 record and yet people support him....

I have been a fan for UND athletics for many years, and a regular Basketball attender for many of them.  I started drifting away from basketball toward the end of the Glass era and quite frankly have gotten out of the basketball attendence habit.  The times I have gone to Jones coached games I left frustrated by the type of ball we played even if we won.  We need a reason go to games again - a couple of signature wins, a trip to the dance, some fantastic talent to watch (quite honestly, as good as Huff was his play drove me nuts).  There is absolutely no buzz about Men's basketball.

I think many Sioux fans of all sports are ready for a serious concentrated effort for excellence across the board.  I know we need more money, but here it becomes murky.  I am giving what I think is a reasonable amount, and am not sure that if I gave more it would go towards any increase in competitiveness as that doesn't seem to by high on our AD's priorities.  In addition I am frustrated by the lack of transparency by the Ralph.  If we move into a free arena and double the hockey attendence why don't we have a lot more money than we do?  I guess what I am saying is that in order for me to start attending basketball or give more in general I want some strong leadership (Bubba, for example is very entheusiastic, tells you what type of team he is building, tells you his goals, and is a guy you can believe in) - we need more of this type of leadership - 

i wish someone at the herald (brad s) would straight up ask this question to faison...and get a truthful answer!

• Upvote 1